2nd gen Rogue's bulb replacement / LED upgrade

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
whizkidtn
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL (AWD), Premium package

Progen wrote:So I looked in the SL Headlight LED housing and looks like all the bulbs are non-changeable, including the turn signals. I ordered a set of LED fogs to replace the halogen fogs, if you guys need pics let me know and I'll throw them up.
Yes, please, put up your pictures!

Flashfox
Car: 2018 Rogue SL Platinum

yearoftherat wrote:
RoguedIt wrote: Anyone else out there have luck with led bulbs? Do they even make a replacement housing with projectors for the 2015 Rogue? I am outside Boston and with the days getting darker sooner I'd like to make a chnage up soon
Reflector housing were really never meant for aftermarket HID/LED kits due to the glare they give off. Nissan does offer a LED headlight but afaik, its only on the SL model. You can buy them but be prepared to remortgage your house to buy them as they are not cheap...lol
You can check on ebay for a used set.
=====

Agreed ... my 2016 SL came with reflector based housings (go figure ... it's a SL yet they don't offer the lens housing as standard in that model). I installed LED headlamp bulbs but removed them after a few months. They were great for me ... but I was blinding oncoming traffic and was 'flashed" many times. As these after market LED lamps are "not street legal" and as I was blinding oncoming traffic, I didn't want to cause an accident that I would be responsible for, especially with non-DOT approved LEDs.

I searched for replacement housings (from reflector to lens) and apart from "deals" on Ebay with broken tabs, etc., the price for new housings is way up there. So I went back to Halogens and I'll stay with this. The same thing happened for my wife's Kia Soul. She also has reflector housings and the LEDs were blinding oncoming traffic ... so back to Halogens.

So Rogue owners with reflector housings should be very careful about deciding to switch to LEDs as per a major insurance company if the non-DOT LEDs blind oncoming traffic and you cause an accident YOU will be on the hook (I have a family member who is a director at one of the major insurance companies so I asked "off the record" LOL. Caveat Emptor!

phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

I have a 2013 S and the stock Philips halogen bulbs were way too weak. I tried the Sylvania SilverStar and GE Nighthawk. They were much brighter but burned out after 6-12 months, so I decided to go to LED. I've tried several types of LED bulbs in the reflector housings. The CREE type LED's are bright enough but throw light everywhere and cause glare to oncoming traffic.
I found a set on Amazon that use the Philips LumiLed LED's. The Philips LED's are very small and very bright, and are positioned in the housing to mimic the location of the filament of the halogens. They have a distinct, sharp cutoff point like a halogen but are brighter and fill the light path in front of the vehicle. And I get no oncoming cars flashing me with these. The price is the same or less that higher end halogens. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LL ... UTF8&psc=1

WILLDOGS
Car: 2015 Rogue SL Premium

Flashfox wrote:
yearoftherat wrote:
Reflector housing were really never meant for aftermarket HID/LED kits due to the glare they give off. Nissan does offer a LED headlight but afaik, its only on the SL model. You can buy them but be prepared to remortgage your house to buy them as they are not cheap...lol
=====

Agreed ... my 2016 SL came with reflector based housings (go figure ... it's a SL yet they don't offer the lens housing as standard in that model).
You must have the SL without premium package. The premium package has the LED headlights standard

Progen
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL w/ Premium Package
Mods: Clear LED Taillights, LED Foglights, RGB footwell lights (OPT7), Red trim all around interior.

If you guys are looking to upgrade your reflector headlight housings to projector housings (with DRL), and have about 470 bucks to spare, here are some non oem projector housings. IMO they look a little bit nicer than the OEM ones, and they look to be plug and play.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 19774.html

I just ordered LED taillights from this same seller and am excited to receive them in a few weeks.

Progen
Mods: Clear LED Taillights, LED Foglights, RGB footwell lights (OPT7), Red trim all around interior.

whizkidtn wrote:
Progen wrote:So I looked in the SL Headlight LED housing and looks like all the bulbs are non-changeable, including the turn signals. I ordered a set of LED fogs to replace the halogen fogs, if you guys need pics let me know and I'll throw them up.
Yes, please, put up your pictures!

Sorry guys, I couldnt take pics of the inside (my arms are too fat and I couldn't fit under the car). I didnt have a jack handy so I just took what pics I could. also, do NOT try and change the bulbs from the front; after you pop off the black trim, you can possibly remove one screw but you CANNOT access the other one. Just do as everyone else did and go under the fender, its not as hard as you think. Apologies for the dirty car, we just had some snow and we're gonna have 18 inches in the next few days so she hasnt had a wash yet:

Here are the pics:
I decided to go with MOSTPLUS turbo LED 6000k since they were cheap and look like a good imitation of the Opt7s:

Left Foglight

If you go under that there are three screws, I forgot to take a pic so I'll borrow someone else's (credit to JPMAX):

After you remove the screws, you can push up on the inner piece to access the bulb, here's a pic of me pushing the panel up:

After that, its as simple as turning the bulb counter clockwise to remove. You'll have a hard time trying the pull the connector down so you can remove/connect the new one, so use one hand if your hands aren't small enough. The connector (from the car) has a tab that you have to lift before you can pull the bulb out, just lift it, make sure it doesn't lock back in then pull the bulb. connect the new bulb, push the connectors in till it clicks, then give it a slight tug to make sure the connectors don't come loose. Up to you if you want to zip tie the stuff from here but so far I haven't had an issue so far so I think I'll leave it (besides, I have work in a bit)

Here's a pic of the bulb inside:

Here's a pic of one halogen, one LED:

Pic of both LED after install:

The black trim is easy to take off if you were to try and change the bulb by taking the whole housing out. Now HERE"S the reason why you can't just take off the black trim and change the bulb:

Now this, this is the reason why you can't do it. there is no way for you to undo that screw from the inside. So dont even bother with it.

I'll throw up some night pics tonight when I get home from work. Shoot me any questions you have.

Progen

Here are some pics of the lights at night:

Off:
On:

I have the LED tails coming in, Might smoke them or clear wrap them before I throw them up...

NOVA718
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue SL w/Premium Package
2016 Honda Accord Sport (Traded in)
2014 Toyota Avalon XLE Touring (Sold)
2002 Nissan Maxima GLE (Sold)
1997 Nissan Altima SE (Sold)

Hey guys,

I was trying to purchase led fog light bulbs (H8) for my '17 Rogue and every bulb I found on Amazon said that it won't fit my car. Not sure if it's because of the different housing or Amazon hasn't updated their specifications for the '17 Rogue.

If anyone has bought any led fog lights for the '17, I'd really appreciate the links.

Thanks!
Last edited by Rogue One on Mon May 01, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

NOVA718 wrote:Hey guys,

I was trying to purchase led fog light bulbs (H8) for my '17 Rogue and every bulb I found on Amazon said that it won't fit my car. Not sure if it's because of the different housing or Amazon hasn't updated their specifications for the '17 Rogue.

If anyone has bought any led fog lights for the '17, I'd really appreciate the links.

Thanks!
Merged with existing thread.

The refreshed 2017 model is too new for many of the aftermarket sites to have revised specs available. Plus Amazon is not 100% reliable on part fitment.

Quoteable131
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue SV

Anyone have the info on replacing the headlights in this model (Have SV) with a conversion to either HID, Xenon or LED? Looking for a DIY option that won't kill the bank.

Also looking for options for some sort of fog light option if wasn't ordered with vehicle.

TIA

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Quoteable131 wrote:Anyone have the info on replacing the headlights in this model (Have SV) with a conversion to either HID, Xenon or LED? Looking for a DIY option that won't kill the bank.

Also looking for options for some sort of fog light option if wasn't ordered with vehicle.

TIA
We have an incredible SEARCH feature on this forum. Duplicate post deleted. Topic merged with existing thread. Please see previous posts in this thread, and click on the link below. Thank you.

--------> READ BEFORE CREATING NEW THREAD! <--------

Quoteable131
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue SV

Leo2005 wrote:Item Bulb No.
High H3
Low H11
Park W5W
Turn WY21W
Sidemarker WY5W
Front fog lights H11
Daytime running lights (Canada only) PS19W
Map light* LED
Footwell light 158
Personal lights P1Y
Glove box light 158
Step light 194
Courtesy light N/A
Vanity mirror light N/A
Cargo light AL1X
High-mounted stop light LED
Tail/Stop 7443
Turn WY21W
Rear sidemarker W5W
Backup (reversing) W16W
License plate light W5W

is this still applicable for the 2017?

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Quoteable131 wrote:is this still applicable for the 2017?
Start by reading your owners manual. The OEM bulbs should be listed in the back. Use that as a starting guide to cross-reference the replacement bulbs. Many of the changes to the 2017 were cosmetic, so a lot of the bulbs should be the same.

tonyhome
Car: nissan rogue 2016 model s

Hi, Can someone tell me if they have had dis conform with the lighting of the low beem alogeno?
In my car (nissan Rogue 2016) I notice that the lighting is very poor, very little light in front of the car
I want to install new bulb, I want to know which is the best LED model
Last edited by Rogue One on Tue May 30, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revised title

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

tonyhome wrote:Hi, Can someone tell me if they have had dis conform with the lighting of the low beem alogeno?
In my car (nissan Rogue 2016) I notice that the lighting is very poor, very little light in front of the car
I want to install new bulb, I want to know which is the best LED model
We have an incredible SEARCH feature on this forum. Merged with existing thread. Please read the previous post in this thread AND click the link below. Thank you.

--------> READ BEFORE CREATING NEW THREAD! <--------

BoredNerd
Car: Nissan Rogue 2017 SV AWD

Hello everyone. I am very happy to be here. I am proud new owner of 2017 Rogue SV. I just got it today and trying to learn all ins and outs. Just one question for now if possible.

I just love White or bluish white headlights most premium and expensive cars have. Someone told me about Xenon lights and basically it's "easy" to get that look if I wanted to, no need to replace some stock with custom made headlights. Well I for one don't think so, otherwise everyone would of done it. So can you tell me how it is in reality ? Can I make my stock headlights to have this white or blueish color by changing a bulb or something ? Or it's a lot more complicated I need to replace whole thing with some custom headlights.

Thank you guys,

P.S.

I do see a lot of kits for 2017 rogues that have units for low-beams and hi-beams. I am I guess interested only in low-beams at the moment, trying to understand concept if it's possible at all and what is required for this. Once again thank you guys !

lou from ny

congrats on the new rogue.

while i can't speak on the technicalities involved in swapping out zenon vs hid vs led etc...replacement, i can say that if you're looking to change color only, light color is also called temperature. yellow light like the older edison lamps we used in our houses are 2700-3000k, (warm white) white light is 4000k, (cool white) and the blue-ish tint can be seen as 6500k. a simple swap out of the same type may help you get the look you're trying to get.

as for which type of light casts the best coverage on a dark road at night, that's a very different conversation

good luck

BoredNerd

Thank you so much for your reply, after doing small research I found that color temp I am looking for is 6000K , On top of that technology of bulb I am after called HID High Intensity Discharge that comes with a ballast for each of the bulbs. I really would love to know if anyone actually replaced bulbs with Xenon or HID because I am sure Nissan change things all the time, I mean if you look up X-Trail Rogue headlight you'll see some nice headlights they have to offer. I want to know what's available for my specific headlights.

Thank you !

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

BoredNerd wrote:Hello everyone. I am very happy to be here. I am proud new owner of 2017 Rogue SV. I just got it today and trying to learn all ins and outs. Just one question for now if possible.

I just love White or bluish white headlights most premium and expensive cars have. Someone told me about Xenon lights and basically it's "easy" to get that look if I wanted to, no need to replace some stock with custom made headlights. Well I for one don't think so, otherwise everyone would of done it. So can you tell me how it is in reality ? Can I make my stock headlights to have this white or blueish color by changing a bulb or something ? Or it's a lot more complicated I need to replace whole thing with some custom headlights.

Thank you guys,

P.S.

I do see a lot of kits for 2017 rogues that have units for low-beams and hi-beams. I am I guess interested only in low-beams at the moment, trying to understand concept if it's possible at all and what is required for this. Once again thank you guys !
Merged with existing thread. Please read through the previous posts.

BoredNerd

Flashfox wrote:
yearoftherat wrote:
=====

Agreed ... my 2016 SL came with reflector based housings (go figure ... it's a SL yet they don't offer the lens housing as standard in that model). I installed LED headlamp bulbs but removed them after a few months. They were great for me ... but I was blinding oncoming traffic and was 'flashed" many times. As these after market LED lamps are "not street legal" and as I was blinding oncoming traffic, I didn't want to cause an accident that I would be responsible for, especially with non-DOT approved LEDs.

I searched for replacement housings (from reflector to lens) and apart from "deals" on Ebay with broken tabs, etc., the price for new housings is way up there. So I went back to Halogens and I'll stay with this. The same thing happened for my wife's Kia Soul. She also has reflector housings and the LEDs were blinding oncoming traffic ... so back to Halogens.

So Rogue owners with reflector housings should be very careful about deciding to switch to LEDs as per a major insurance company if the non-DOT LEDs blind oncoming traffic and you cause an accident YOU will be on the hook (I have a family member who is a director at one of the major insurance companies so I asked "off the record" LOL. Caveat Emptor!

You guys pretty much just killed my dream.... I got new Rogue 2017 SV with regular headlight reflectors and I was dreaming to get HID kit with 5000K color White with with slight blue tint .... and now it looks like It's not going to happen. I guess only question I have is this. IT's there a may be bulbs that will give me this look ? I mean same halogen bolb as stock but just diffirent color instead og this yellow look it's ll be white with a bit blue in it. ..

Anyone ?

yearoftherat
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Flashfox wrote: You guys pretty much just killed my dream.... I got new Rogue 2017 SV with regular headlight reflectors and I was dreaming to get HID kit with 5000K color White with with slight blue tint .... and now it looks like It's not going to happen. I guess only question I have is this. IT's there a may be bulbs that will give me this look ? I mean same halogen bolb as stock but just diffirent color instead og this yellow look it's ll be white with a bit blue in it. ..

Anyone ?
If you're wanting to get the HID look w/o switching to an actual HID kit, you can look at the Osram Nightbreakers or Sylvania Silverstars. The color will be more whiter than stock but just remember that they will not last as long as the OEM ones. I bought a set of the Osrams and got maybe 10 months out of them before one no longer worked.

Progen

BoredNerd wrote: You guys pretty much just killed my dream.... I got new Rogue 2017 SV with regular headlight reflectors and I was dreaming to get HID kit with 5000K color White with with slight blue tint .... and now it looks like It's not going to happen. I guess only question I have is this. IT's there a may be bulbs that will give me this look ? I mean same halogen bolb as stock but just diffirent color instead og this yellow look it's ll be white with a bit blue in it. ..

Anyone ?

Maybe someone can school me on this, but can't you just use and LED/HID kit and manually adjust the beam?

Sorry if its bad info, I have an SL with the projector LEDs... so I don't know about the reflector housings.

Also, an alternative is to buy 3rd party projector headlight housings. They might cost about 400-500 bucks a pair, but they're plug and play, LEDs, and relatively easy to install. PM if you want a site.

yearoftherat

Progen wrote: Maybe someone can school me on this, but can't you just use and LED/HID kit and manually adjust the beam?

Sorry if its bad info, I have an SL with the projector LEDs... so I don't know about the reflector housings.

Also, an alternative is to buy 3rd party projector headlight housings. They might cost about 400-500 bucks a pair, but they're plug and play, LEDs, and relatively easy to install. PM if you want a site.
You could go for a LED kit but make sure that that the kit allows you to adjust the position of the LED's. Make sure that the LED's are in a horizontal orientation thereby reducing some of the glare.

colonelcasey
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

For those curious, I was able to fit a 31mm JDM Astar DE3175 LED bulb into the cargo light so it's way brighter than the stock festoon bulb. It's normally supposed to be a 27mm Festoon bulb but bending the clips will allow it to accommodate a 31mm bulb, even though it's a bit of a stretch.

BoredNerd

Just installed my low beams HID from OPPT7, they look amazing. 6000K.

Pretty cool looking beams if you ask me.

Rogue-EdC
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV

colonelcasey wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:59 pm
For those curious, I was able to fit a 31mm JDM Astar DE3175 LED bulb into the cargo light so it's way brighter than the stock festoon bulb. It's normally supposed to be a 27mm Festoon bulb but bending the clips will allow it to accommodate a 31mm bulb, even though it's a bit of a stretch.
Also for reference, I used this on my 2016 Rogue in the cargo and interior 2nd row. Works great! Definite improvement over the stock edison bulbs.

4 X 5630 6-SMD Festoon 31MM High Power White LED Light Lamps DE3175 DE3022

yearoftherat

BoredNerd wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:48 pm

Nice and bright but would be interested in seeing what the beam pattern is like against a wall 20 feet away.

BoredNerd

yearoftherat wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:11 pm
BoredNerd wrote:

Nice and bright but would be interested in seeing what the beam pattern is like against a wall 20 feet away.
Got it, will do it tomorrow. Also I don't see options to get high beams and fog replacing kits. Like If I search for H9 65Watt I don't see much. Or H8 35Watt kits.

BoredNerd

yearoftherat wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:11 pm
BoredNerd wrote:

Here we go, I think it's a bit less than 20 feet may be 16 , but as requested here we go.

yearoftherat

Judging by the pattern, it looks like you have reflector type headlights. You can see the glare in the pictures above the so called cutoff which is typical of installing HID kits in this type of housing.
I would adjust the beams down a bit so you don't blind any incoming traffic.

Return to “Rogue Forum”