2nd gen Rogue's bulb replacement / LED upgrade

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Leo2005

geralds95 wrote:I tried unscrewing the screws from the license plate bulb lens and I used a tiny screwdriver but I can't unscrew the screws due to the screws being more inside of the trunk lid. Any suggestions? Cause I don't want to take out the whole trunk panel from the inside
Pop the panel on the back of the thunk lid and you will have an access to the license plate lights, camera etc. Unscrew the bulb to replace it. Put everything back together.

X1tymez
Car: Nissan Rogue 2015

yearoftherat wrote:Looking at replacing the stock H11 bulbs in my Rogue SV and was wondering for those that did upgrade to a LED kit, are your headlights a reflector or projector based? Mine has the reflector and hesitant to upgrade to LED's due to glare and such for oncoming drivers.

Thx !
X1tymez wrote:To answer your question. Nissan Rogue models came with reflector headlight. If there projector then it's aftermarket, which $700+ on eBay. You can buy halogen h11 bulbs from Amazon, wouldn't be bright as HID OR LED. At least you don't blind people or get pull over.
yearoftherat wrote:IIRC, the SL model came with LED headlights which I think are projector based. So would installing LED based bulbs in a reflector housing will blind people?
Sorry, Just do more research. The Rogue SL came with projector. Yes, installing LED or HID with reflector housing will blind the crap oncoming traffic. The reason is reflectors cannot have sharp cutoff lines with a xenon bulb. If your car have projector based then go ahead, just make sure they have good cut off line.
Last edited by Rogue One on Fri May 01, 2015 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo

colonelcasey
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

Leo2005 wrote:
geralds95 wrote:I tried unscrewing the screws from the license plate bulb lens and I used a tiny screwdriver but I can't unscrew the screws due to the screws being more inside of the trunk lid. Any suggestions? Cause I don't want to take out the whole trunk panel from the inside
Pop the panel on the back of the thunk lid and you will have an access to the license plate lights, camera etc. Unscrew the bulb to replace it. Put everything back together.
What's the best way to pop the back of the trunk hatch to access the license plate light? Always afraid I'm going to break a plastic clip on a piece like that.

Leo2005

Start by pulling the handle and the clips. Then start prying with screwdriver covered with towel from the center. Leave the white panels on the trunk lid but black one (large piece) have to go down. Dont rush and you will not break anything. Plastic in the car is pretty tough. The worst case scenario is that you will have to buy a few clips for $.50/each but thats about it.

vince2773

How difficult to replace that fog light bulb?

Leo2005

vince2773 wrote:How difficult to replace that fog light bulb?
Not too difficult. Remove 3 hex screws on the bottom of the bumper near the fender. Pop the fender molding. Remove the screw on the side that holding a bumper to the fender.and pull the bumper a little bit so you have an access to work on the fog light.
You can also pop the plastic on the front of the fog light and unscrew 2 bolts to remove the whole fog light.

vince2773

Thanks alot

synapseCB
Car: 2015 Rogue SV

Looking to upgrade the H11 bulbs in the headlight housing for CHEAP. I found these on ebay for only $20, what do you guys think:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-H8-H11-15W-H ... 8f&vxp=mtr

I just dont wanna risk the bulb going out at night while I'm on the road because of a cheap bulb, lol.

Leo2005

I think to be safe you can keep the stock low beam inside of the glove box. ...just in case.

synapseCB

Yeah, I had that kept in mind just in case. I'm going to buy two sets, one for my factory fogs that I did not buy from the dealer for $400 lol

kooka

My wife has a 2015 Rogue AWD SL and I performed various LED upgrades and here are my observations, comments and recommendations. I'll make separate postings for the various upgrades. Note: the Rogue is a SL with Premium package so it has LED headlights (both low beams and high beams.

FOG LIGHTS
The incandescent OEM bulbs are yellowish and woefully underpowered to be of any benefit. I replaced them with these H11 LEDs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251920000227?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
and I strongly recommend this specific bulb over the others previously mentioned on this forum. The bulbs are much brighter, match in color to the LED headlights while drawing the same amount of current. These H11 LEDS are a fanless design and have the LED driver circuitry built-in on the base. There are 2 180-degree opposing LED chips on the bulbs. These bulbs seem to be newer in design than other H11 LED bulbs. Look for the "2S" designation. I think other online retailers are charging more than double than the $55 I paid. At the time of purchase, the ebay seller (autobase-us) was by far, the lowest price US seller of this model. Seller is also offering a lifetime warranty (no certainty this ebay seller will be around in the future to honor it). Bulbs come in nice packaging which appears to be brandless and look manufactured with high quality materials/finishing. The product manual is tiny and install guidance is only in line drawing pictures.

Installation was fairly easy but prepping the bulb for install was a b**ch. The guidance for prepping the H11 shows the simple twist removal of the notched plastic collar from the bulb base in order to remove the spacer o-ring and in its place, put on the black "rubber" boot and then reinstall the collar. With frustratingly great difficulty, I was barely able to get the collars back on the bulbs. I was afraid to use brute force because of the unknown fragility of the bulb assembly and the possibility of damaging the collar. I suspect the problem was the boot is slightly thicker than the o-ring and with not enough tolerance allowance, I couldn't compress it enough by hand to get the collar back on. On one of the bulbs, I had to resort to placing the bulb in a padded vice and then use a pair of padded-jaw pliers to manipulate the twist collar back on. Then it was an easy install. The 2014 Rogue Service Manual is available for download elsewhere on nicoclub.com. See sections/pages EXL 269-270 and EXT 28-31 for installing fog lights.

I think retrofitting LEDs in place of OEM incandescent bulbs, requires some forethought and testing. Although, I'm a bit skeptical toward the safety-nazi blowhards that oppose LED retrofitting because of DOT visibility/angle of view/etc. standards. But they do have a point. So depending on how your vehicle's light housing reflectors are designed, you need to take into account how the LED bulbs are designed when choosing your LED bulb. With this in mind, these H11 LED bulbs work perfectly as replacements for the fog lights. The resulting illumination is noticeably wider and also slightly further than the OEM. These H11s nicely complement the foreground area of the low beam sweet spot-- like proper fog lights. I went with a vertical orientation of the 2 LED chips. Using the included optional collar, allows for horizontal orientation of the 2 LED chips which slightly lowers/shortens the illuminated area of the fog lights vs. vertical orientation.

Sorry I don't have photos. I made the install during the day and just wanted to get the job done and not wait for dark to take pix. I'll soon post my other LED upgrades on this 2015 Rogue.

xtrailmty

what about using this on the headlights with no xenon?

floppy187

Big thanks to Kooka on recommending the LED blubs for the fog lights, as Kooka stated the hardest part is preparing the LED bulbs with that difficult boot. Once you managed to get the boot housing installed installing the LED bulbs in the Fog Light housing was easy. Also orientated the LED chips in a horizontal position.

synapseCB

so i ended up not using the LEDs in the headlight housing and went straight for Xentec 6000k HIDs w/ ballasts. also swapped out the license plate bulbs for LEDs.

Rogue2015NYC
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV

Newbie question here. I have a 2015 Rogue SV. I was looking at the owner's manual and it says on page 8-27 here https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/te ... manual.pdf

HEADLIGHTS
Replacing the halogen headlight bulb
(if so equipped)
The headlight is a semi-sealed beam type which
uses a replaceable headlight (halogen) bulb. Because
the headlight assembly must be removed
from the vehicle for bulb replacement, see your
NISSAN dealer.

Now I read that in order for the headlight assembly to be taken out the bumper must be removed. This cant be correct right? I looked under the hood and the low beam and high beam lights look reachable. TIA.

yearoftherat
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

No removal of the headlight is required to replace the low beam bulbs.

jr15642
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV

Has anyone tried something like this? I might be interested, not sure if they will look good or match the Led's from the headlights.

http://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Switchbac ... ck+fog+led

yearoftherat
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

jr15642 wrote:Has anyone tried something like this? I might be interested, not sure if they will look good or match the Led's from the headlights.

http://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Switchbac ... ck+fog+led
Can be found cheaper if you don't mind the wait http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 33159.html

Not sure how they would look but imho, the amber lights would look odd.

Kozidos

Does anybody know how to replace reverse light?
I can't find the screws I need to remove to get access to them.
Thanks in advance

synapseCB

updated pic in the daytime

Meynardo
Car: 2015 Rogue SL AWD

Kozidos wrote:Does anybody know how to replace reverse light?
Thanks in advance
Remove the trunk cover by pulling gently so you don't break the clips and you will find 3 screws for each light assembly. If I remember correctly, they are 8 millimeters (to be confirmed).

jr15642
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV

synapseCB wrote:Image

so i ended up not using the LEDs in the headlight housing and went straight for Xentec 6000k HIDs w/ ballasts. also swapped out the license plate bulbs for LEDs.

I was reading that HID used in Multi-reflector housing often causes blinding to other drivers due to the light dispersion. I would really like to get some HID's but I'm concerned about this. Have you had anyone you know drive in front of you to see if this was the case with that type of housing/bulb combo? Also, did you have to purchase a separate relay kit, or is that part of the included ballast? The lights look great in the pic!

synapseCB

jr15642 wrote:
synapseCB wrote:

I was reading that HID used in Multi-reflector housing often causes blinding to other drivers due to the light dispersion. I would really like to get some HID's but I'm concerned about this. Have you had anyone you know drive in front of you to see if this was the case with that type of housing/bulb combo? Also, did you have to purchase a separate relay kit, or is that part of the included ballast? The lights look great in the pic!
HIDs in the reflector housing tend to blind other drivers however I've now had them since last May and I've never received any headlight flashes from oncoming drivers. And I haven't had the chance to install the relay kit, the one I bought is made by Xentec from ebay and only came with the two bulbs and two ballasts. I am getting some king of weird flickering though from the bulbs and I'm guessing its from the lack of a relay. If you do an install with a relay can you update me with a tutorial because I'm not too good with wiring and i can't find any vehicle-specific tutorials online. Other than that issue, I'm really satisfied with adding the HIDs because they look so good with the day running lights

rhconcepts
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue Select

I ran HIDs in my old Kia Sportage and burnt up the BCM 2 times. I dont want that to happen in my Rogue so can you guys list what HID kits you have installed and for how long now. Also did you use a relay for power or are you using stock wires to power them?

Thanks

PS Does anyone know the part number for the glove box light. I have the wires just no light, so im hoping I can just plug the light into the harness

frijolito
Car: Rogue (Xtrail) 2020 Advance

Hey Guys,

Been lurking her ea while reading all the posts. I have a xtrail (rogue) in Panama and this forums great, thought I would share my experience of the lights.

My Rogue/Xtrail has normal reflector lights, not the LED projectors so i wanted to play around with the lights. I hated the yellow halogens it came with as made my nice new car look old. I had also been looking at LEDs for a while, but never went for them on my old pathfinder.

I started off trying these LEDs

Which looked like

They were good, but the beam pattern wasnt 100% plus the fogs still were yellow as hadn't done anything.

I then decided to splash out and go for these after the reviews I saw:

The beam pattern is near perfect and I love them, plus don't get flashed at night, so not too dazzling to others:

I took the first lights and put them in the fogs, so final result, nice white light, very happy:

One yellow fog, one white:

Final job:

Over all very happy, and thanks to Leo2005 posting instructions, I managed to squeeze the fogs in undoing the 4 hex bolts and pulling back the cover so had enough space to play with.

Kozidos

Meynardo wrote:
Kozidos wrote:Does anybody know how to replace reverse light?
Thanks in advance
Remove the trunk cover by pulling gently so you don't break the clips and you will find 3 screws for each light assembly. If I remember correctly, they are 8 millimeters (to be confirmed).
Thanks Meynardo! :yesnod , LEDs installed here's the result

Jubmasterflex
Car: 2015 Nissan X-Trail SV

Looks Great! Day AND Night (pun intended) difference.

Out of curiosity, how much of a PIA was it to install the bulbs into the fogs?

frijolito

Jubmaster, it was fiddly, but not too much of a PIA. About 30 mins in total for both, if your a little slimmer than me maybe it would be easier, im a big guy, but I have long arms at least..

Jubmasterflex
Car: 2015 Nissan X-Trail SV

Coolio, cheers for the heads up!

Big guy here with big arms, thus suspect it will take just as long for me as well.

Out of curiosity, do you have a link to the installation regarding the hex bolts you previously referenced?

Also have you used these for your high beams?

frijolito

I don't have a link for our model, but I saw this video, and its almost identical, just one bolt more, thats obvious to see once your down there:

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2008_ ... ts/foglamp

Click straight on video number 4, changing the bulb, its almost identical as the old model rogue.

And no, for the high beams I left good old halogens (more of a just in case kinda scenario, I may change them later but as I have reflector lights im worried that on high beam they would be very overpowering)

Return to “Rogue Forum”