2nd gen Rogue's bulb replacement / LED upgrade

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL

Leo2005 wrote:
psyman42 wrote:NICE! the dimmer foglight on the left, is that stock foglights?
Yes.
psyman42 wrote:Also can you post which VLED you purchased?
http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/h11-vx3.html6,000K bluish is the one I installed (I still think it's kinda white)
http://www.vleds.com/h11-mtg2-3000lm.html and here's the 5,000K if you want pure white.
psyman42 wrote:Also I saw on this thread you bought headlights as well, can you post a link to those as well? Much appreciated!
EBAY
8102 wrote:I am wondering if anyone else has had moisture problems with Lifetime or VLEDS Led upgrades for the fog lights?
I don't have a problem with v-leds bulbs but you shouldn't have any problems with other brands either. I think you got defective set. If I was you I would give them another chance. Return and get a brand new set but if second set is leaking as well then return them. Also the socket is H11 and I have no idea what is the difference to H11-F so that might be the case.
The H11F is just how Lifetime LEDs codes their H11 Fogs, they are still a regular H11.

I noticed that the on the Lifetime LED Bulbs the connector that mates with the connector in the Fog Light Assembly is plastic (and not very thick) whereas the connector on the VLEDs is metal so that may be part of the problem.

I have spoken with Lifetime and they requested that I send them pictures of the LED bulbs that are leaking - I did that right away and confirmed with them that they received them - their Tech is now looking at the pictures of the lights to try and determine what the issue may be.

I have not heard back from them yet with a diagnoses of what the problem may be but I will advise once they have told me what the problem is.

The funny thing was that they were insistent that the 2014 Nissan Rogue SL takes a 9005 Bulb as opposed to the H11 for the Fog Lights and they insisted that I check my manual and call the Dealership to confirm that my vehicle takes the H11, they also said they were going to call a Dealer in their area to confirm the size as well, I think that issue is now resolved.

Will advise when I hear something back from Lifetime.

Leo2005

8102 wrote:The H11F is just how Lifetime LEDs codes their H11 Fogs, they are still a regular H11.
Doesn't seem to be quite true. Same price, same manufacture but different design and different wattage:
https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/led_l ... ingle_beam
https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/led_l ... ment_h11_f

Leo2005 wrote:
8102 wrote:The H11F is just how Lifetime LEDs codes their H11 Fogs, they are still a regular H11.
Doesn't seem to be quite true. Same price, same manufacture but different design and different wattage:
https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/led_l ... ingle_beam
https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/led_l ... ment_h11_f
I am not sure I understand what your getting at Leo2005, the H11F is for Fog Lights and the H11 is for Headlights, I ordered the H11F for Fog Lights to replace my OEM Fog Light Halogen bulbs.

They are naturally a different wattage and design because one is for a headlight and one is for a fog light, but they both have the H11 Base.

Anyways, that is not what discussion is about, the problem is that the H11F Lifetime LED Fog Light Bulb does not fit in the OEM Fog Light Housing on the 2014 Rogue, up here in Canada, the Fog Lights take a H11 Base, and now Lifetime is trying to figure out why there H11F Fog Light Bulbs don't fit in the OEM Fog Light Housing.

As I said earlier, all I can think of is that the base on the Lifetime Light is plastic and on the VLEDS the base is metal, the plastic will flex, the metal, not so much...

There is no discussion between Lifetime and me about whether I have the correct base (H11) or not, it is about why the correct base (H11) is leaking, it could be something as simple as me getting a pair of bulbs that have defective bases, or maybe there is something in the design of the bulb base or the fog light housing base that is causing the problem.

Lifetime has pictures of the bulbs now so I am confident their techs will figure it out.

Leo2005

Check your original halogen bulbs in low beam and fog lights. There's no such a thing as one for fogs and one for headlights. They're both H11 and both 55 watts so any other H11 bulb with lower wattage would work. That's why it sounds like its slightly a different bulb. The difference in the housings but not the bulbs.

Leo2005 wrote:Check your original halogen bulbs in low beam and fog lights. There's no such a thing as one for fogs and one for headlights. They're both H11 and both 55 watts so any other H11 bulb with lower wattage would work. That's why it sounds like its slightly a different bulb. The difference in the housings but not the bulbs.
Hi Leo2005,
I have the OEM LED Headlights, not Halogen.

Anyways, I suspect the problem is with the material the H11 Lifetime LED housing is manufactured out of, it being a plastic that flexes and bends rather than being stiff and and seating tightly against the fog lights housing.

I have faith that Lifetime will figure it out...

Leo2005

Received my 4,500LM LMZ LEDs last week and installed them in the low beam. Couple hours ago installed another set in fog lights. Guys...that's a huge difference. Great investment but here's the small tip: V-LEDS sell those for $250 a set. Go to ebay, alibaba...google to get a set for around $100 so for these money you can get 2 sets. Also beware...those leds do not fit high beam due to the size of the ballast but still it's a great upgrade. Check it out:
Small video is uploading :)

Leo2005

Here's the video shot. Poor quality but still visible to judge. If you want to know what beam is on and when then turn on CC in the video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA1SZ2w1zO8[/youtube]

xtrailmty

Is the vanity bulb a festoon 30mm? Also how long can be the 194 for the interior and dome. Just want to order the correct size(long)

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

Just an FYI for anyone wanting to upgrade the Cargo light and were not sure what to choose. Most of the prev posts list a 30/31mm bulb even though that's longer than oem. I just got these 28mm bulb and it fits just fine. Almost exact same length as the OEM, maybe half a mm longer. Not sure how much brighter it is vs the eom bulb since I installed it during daylight.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063J ... UTF8&psc=1

Kris5449
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL FWD

Leo2005 wrote:As for the tail lights ... Let's start:
Remove 4 screws:
Top 2 holding a spoiler:
And just pull the spoiler to remove it then pull the tail light to remove it:
Maybe I'm just being to gentle, But I can't seem to pull the spoiler or tail lights off. Do I just need to muscle them or do you pull in a certain direction or twist? I obviously don't want to break anything but I'm getting quite frustrated :crazy: . Thank you!

aquariafly
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue

Leo2005 wrote:Here's the video shot. Poor quality but still visible to judge. If you want to know what beam is on and when then turn on CC in the video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA1SZ2w1zO8[/youtube]
Wow that looks good. I'm new to the forums, but is this a fairly "Straight forward" mod to do? Is it just a straight bulb swap, or do I have to change the whole housing? Do you mind sharing the link where you bought it from? Thank you!

yi_dennis
Car: 2014 Rogue SL

Lone Wolff wrote:Just an FYI for anyone wanting to upgrade the Cargo light and were not sure what to choose. Most of the prev posts list a 30/31mm bulb even though that's longer than oem. I just got these 28mm bulb and it fits just fine. Almost exact same length as the OEM, maybe half a mm longer. Not sure how much brighter it is vs the eom bulb since I installed it during daylight.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063J ... UTF8&psc=1
Can you let me know how is it at night? I was thinking of updating just the bulb.

Lone Wolff
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

Definitely better than the OEM bulb. Brighter light. But the area really needs an overhead light to make a BIG difference.
Too many shadows with the only light source down that low on only one side. If the cargo area is empty, then you have great light. But once you put anything in there, you get bad shadows unless your cargo is all the way on the drivers side or flush against the rear seats. Would have been nice to have another light on the drivers side and/or one above the cargo area in the headliner.

colonelcasey
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

Lone Wolff wrote:Definitely better than the OEM bulb. Brighter light. But the area really needs an overhead light to make a BIG difference.
Too many shadows with the only light source down that low on only one side. If the cargo area is empty, then you have great light. But once you put anything in there, you get bad shadows unless your cargo is all the way on the drivers side or flush against the rear seats. Would have been nice to have another light on the drivers side and/or one above the cargo area in the headliner.
How easy was it to pop off the plastic lens? Manual shows to use a small flathead and a cloth but I always feel like I'd end up breaking the plastic lens.

mckevin7
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Hello, all -

I just picked up a 2015 Rogue SV last weekend and have the itch to do something with the headlights. Being that the Rogue is a lease, I think I just want to switch out the bulbs (low beam - mine doesn't have fog lights and the dealer told me it's only a factory option and they cannot install them). I've read a lot about replacing the H11 bulbs with brighter H9 bulbs, and think that's better than spending more for something like the Sylvania SilverStar Ultras which everyone complains about the short life of. I've also read the "horror" stories of people's wires and headlight mounts melting, but am not too worried because it looks like the number of success stories significantly outnumber the failed conversions. With that in mind, are these Philips H9 bulbs good for what I'm looking to do? I read on the reviews that people say not to do this swap if you have reflector type headlights (as compared to projection style). I'm not entirely sure of the difference and which style my '15 Rogue has. Can anyone attest to whether whether these bulbs I'm looking at will work for me (with the minor modification of the bulb to make it fit the H11 plug)? Or does anyone have any other recommendations for other, better halogen bulbs to swap out for?

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Standard- ... uctDetails

jumpin4abeat
Car: 2015 Rogue

I also installed led into the cargo light. The light does not go off when you close the trunk or even lock the doors. It stays dimly lit for a few minutes. I installed the new led with the trunk closed and i disconnected the harness. I out the factory bulb back in and it works as it should. Has anyone found anything out about why the led stays on? I have a 2015, not sure if that makes a difference between the 2014 or not. :wtf2:

Lone Wolff
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

jumpin4abeat wrote:I also installed led into the cargo light. The light does not go off when you close the trunk or even lock the doors. It stays dimly lit for a few minutes. I installed the new led with the trunk closed and i disconnected the harness. I out the factory bulb back in and it works as it should. Has anyone found anything out about why the led stays on? I have a 2015, not sure if that makes a difference between the 2014 or not. :wtf2:
The LED bulb that I installed in the cargo area does indeed go off when the liftgate closes. No different than the OEM bulb. 2015 SL, AWD.

jumpin4abeat
Car: 2015 Rogue

What bulb do you have installed? I will order one of those. I know this bulb will not last since when I have the car on, the bulb stays dim the entire time. It is not till a few minutes after the car is off that it will completely turn off.

POBINVA
Car: 2014 Graphite Blue Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Hi - This is a great post. Love LED's and appreciate everyone's input. Unfortunately, what people are finding is related to the "wild, wild West" situation of advanced (LED, CFL) lighting - that is, non-incandescent (Halogens, Xenon are still incandescent). Nothing's really been fully standardized yet (incandescent is; the tech is > 100 years old now). LED's are still relatively in their infancy. So what manufacturers basically seem to be doing is focusing on light output and light color, but compatibility is "second string." I bring this up in light (ha, ha) of the problems not so much with fitment (that should be a no-brainer; shame on the light manufacturers; they know the specs of the fixtures) but with the dimmer problems people are reporting. LED's do NOT dim the way that incandescents do. So for those who, for example with the cargo light, are noting that they're not seeing the bulb go off, this is because in all likelihood the bulb chosen is poorly compatible with Nissan's dimming circuit. That's not your fault - there's no way any of us can know at this point in time, other than the experiences of others. We won't find any info on the bulb package saying that such and such bulb is going to work in such in such position, in such and such car, unlike, for example, an oil filter. :tisk: The LED's "dimmability" is determined by the driver in the bulb. From what I've read (no expert, I, but I've been investigating this), the LED drivers are not standardized, nor are dimmers. Incandescent dimmers (and that's likely what's in our cars, since in the '14 Rogue the bulbs are incandescent as OEM supplied in most of these locations - as posters have pointed out the MAP LIGHTS in the second gen Rogue ('14/15 so far) ARE LED from Nissan) are designed for incandescents. The electrical engineering involved is way above my knowledge, but I think that the variability that users are finding is inherent in the bulbs. I'd bet a nickel that those users with dimming problems (i.e. the light staying on once tailgate is closed) are using DIFFERENT bulbs from the posters NOT having problems. The drivers in the bulbs that are working properly are more compatible with the OEM dimmer in our cars.

For this reason, it's really important to the rest of us considering LED bulbs if those who are installing them in interior, dimmable positions would kindly specify exactly what bulb you're using, and for those posters who're having problems, could you list very specifically the bulbs YOU'RE using? That way we can avoid bulbs that aren't compatible in specific locations in our specific vehicles.

This is, it seems, a very complex issue. To save money, car builders will use off-the-shelf, incandescent systems that they already have, and off we go as buyers changing the bulb technologies; until several years go by and the car companies start moving fully towards LED everywhere, and POSSIBLY begin to standardize the dimming circuits (this is SLOWLY happening in home lighting systems - Lutron (switch maker) builds LED and even CFL compatible dimmers and the bulb manufacturers are putting more compatible drivers in the bulbs (though those have more space; bigger bulbs compared to these little car bulbs) we're probably going to see this. I suspect the cost issues will prevent bulb builders from testing every bulb they make in every car model out there (without agreed upon standards). Until then, all we can do is help each other and (a) describe the bulb exactly (thank you to everyone doing that) and (b) describe the experiences you're having.

Also, for those of you with the dimming problems, from my reading there's a risk that you MIGHT damage the dimmer system in the car, so you may wish to switch back to your original incandescent bulb or look for someone's post for a bulb that's working in the location you want to switch to. I'd hate to see any of us have to replace more expensive (in the car) equipment because of a light bulb!

I believe that this issue is only one with dimming - fixed output lights - such as tail lights, visor lights, license plate lights, aren't really affected. Presumably turn signal lights (off/on cycle) won't have an issue, though all of the tech is so new that I guess only time will tell.

Thanks to everyone who's posted!

yearoftherat

Looking at replacing the stock H11 bulbs in my Rogue SV and was wondering for those that did upgrade to a LED kit, are your headlights a reflector or projector based? Mine has the reflector and hesitant to upgrade to LED's due to glare and such for oncoming drivers.

Thx !

Kozidos

Pobinva,

I can talk about Nissan X-Trail sold in Europe, however I believe it would apply to US Rogue model.
The problem with LEDs not going off is related to residual current instead of dimmability, due to LEDS low power consumption.
You can easily fix it installing a 470 ohm resistor in parallel.
Here you might find few pictures.

Hope it helps,

We are just kicking off a Spanish forum for the European Nissan X-Trail, feel free to jump in!
Best
http://xtrail2014.foroactivo.com/
POBINVA wrote:Hi - This is a great post. Love LED's and appreciate everyone's input. Unfortunately, what people are finding is related to the "wild, wild West" situation of advanced (LED, CFL) lighting - that is, non-incandescent (Halogens, Xenon are still incandescent). Nothing's really been fully standardized yet (incandescent is; the tech is > 100 years old now). LED's are still relatively in their infancy. So what manufacturers basically seem to be doing is focusing on light output and light color, but compatibility is "second string." I bring this up in light (ha, ha) of the problems not so much with fitment (that should be a no-brainer; shame on the light manufacturers; they know the specs of the fixtures) but with the dimmer problems people are reporting. LED's do NOT dim the way that incandescents do. So for those who, for example with the cargo light, are noting that they're not seeing the bulb go off, this is because in all likelihood the bulb chosen is poorly compatible with Nissan's dimming circuit. That's not your fault - there's no way any of us can know at this point in time, other than the experiences of others. We won't find any info on the bulb package saying that such and such bulb is going to work in such in such position, in such and such car, unlike, for example, an oil filter. :tisk: The LED's "dimmability" is determined by the driver in the bulb. From what I've read (no expert, I, but I've been investigating this), the LED drivers are not standardized, nor are dimmers. Incandescent dimmers (and that's likely what's in our cars, since in the '14 Rogue the bulbs are incandescent as OEM supplied in most of these locations - as posters have pointed out the MAP LIGHTS in the second gen Rogue ('14/15 so far) ARE LED from Nissan) are designed for incandescents. The electrical engineering involved is way above my knowledge, but I think that the variability that users are finding is inherent in the bulbs. I'd bet a nickel that those users with dimming problems (i.e. the light staying on once tailgate is closed) are using DIFFERENT bulbs from the posters NOT having problems. The drivers in the bulbs that are working properly are more compatible with the OEM dimmer in our cars.

For this reason, it's really important to the rest of us considering LED bulbs if those who are installing them in interior, dimmable positions would kindly specify exactly what bulb you're using, and for those posters who're having problems, could you list very specifically the bulbs YOU'RE using? That way we can avoid bulbs that aren't compatible in specific locations in our specific vehicles.

This is, it seems, a very complex issue. To save money, car builders will use off-the-shelf, incandescent systems that they already have, and off we go as buyers changing the bulb technologies; until several years go by and the car companies start moving fully towards LED everywhere, and POSSIBLY begin to standardize the dimming circuits (this is SLOWLY happening in home lighting systems - Lutron (switch maker) builds LED and even CFL compatible dimmers and the bulb manufacturers are putting more compatible drivers in the bulbs (though those have more space; bigger bulbs compared to these little car bulbs) we're probably going to see this. I suspect the cost issues will prevent bulb builders from testing every bulb they make in every car model out there (without agreed upon standards). Until then, all we can do is help each other and (a) describe the bulb exactly (thank you to everyone doing that) and (b) describe the experiences you're having.

Also, for those of you with the dimming problems, from my reading there's a risk that you MIGHT damage the dimmer system in the car, so you may wish to switch back to your original incandescent bulb or look for someone's post for a bulb that's working in the location you want to switch to. I'd hate to see any of us have to replace more expensive (in the car) equipment because of a light bulb!

I believe that this issue is only one with dimming - fixed output lights - such as tail lights, visor lights, license plate lights, aren't really affected. Presumably turn signal lights (off/on cycle) won't have an issue, though all of the tech is so new that I guess only time will tell.

Thanks to everyone who's posted!
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix image link

Kozidos

Anyone is experimenting problems with license plate LEDs and reversing camera or strange ray lights?
You can try opaque tape.
Some pictures:
ANTES = Before DESPUES = After
http://i57.tinypic.com/97qqti.png
http://i59.tinypic.com/dw70xv.jpg
In this case the car is a Nissan Qashqai not sold in Americas but it's a kind of mini-Rogue

Kozidos

Cargo LED, 12x5050 SMD
This one fits perfectly and is very bright
$1, free shipping.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/One-set- ... 35630.html

rogue-aine
Car: 2014 Rogue SV. Gun Metallic, 3M clear bra, chrome bumper cover & roof rack cross rails...pretty stock

I don't know how to embed pictures into the actual post, but here is my IMGUR link.

First, it's very easy to install. It is completely plug and play. Take the old bulb out, plug the wire into the green cord that has a yellow end on the other side. Plug yellow end into other green plug that has a black box - which I believe is a wiring harness - which has a screen end on the other end. That screw end screws into the LED wire. Insert the LED into the socket.

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! THE END OF THE LED THAT LOOKS LIKE A FAN IS VERY SHARP METAL. IF YOU DO NOT USE WITH CAUTION, YOU WILL SLICE YOUR FINGER (as I did :( )

http://imgur.com/a/WdBap
Last edited by Rogue One on Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

rogue-aine wrote:I don't know how to embed pictures into the actual post, but here is my IMGUR link. http://imgur.com/a/WdBap
:facepalm: --------> REMINDER TO ALL MEMBERS <--------

We have an incredible SEARCH feature on this forum. How to post pictures using photobucket

rogue-aine
Car: 2014 Rogue SV. Gun Metallic, 3M clear bra, chrome bumper cover & roof rack cross rails...pretty stock

This search function you speak of. Seems like a tall order.

X1tymez
Car: Nissan Rogue 2015

yearoftherat wrote:Looking at replacing the stock H11 bulbs in my Rogue SV and was wondering for those that did upgrade to a LED kit, are your headlights a reflector or projector based? Mine has the reflector and hesitant to upgrade to LED's due to glare and such for oncoming drivers.

Thx !
To answer your question. Nissan Rogue models came with reflector headlight. If there projector then it's aftermarket, which $700+ on eBay. You can buy halogen h11 bulbs from Amazon, wouldn't be bright as HID OR LED. At least you don't blind people or get pull over.

Monte77
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV family package

Hello group, first timer here. Seen your post in LED upgrades and very interested. Just picked up a 2015 Rogue SV w/family package and wanting to install led all around. Let me look through all these post before I ask any questions that been answered already.

yearoftherat

X1tymez wrote:
yearoftherat wrote:Looking at replacing the stock H11 bulbs in my Rogue SV and was wondering for those that did upgrade to a LED kit, are your headlights a reflector or projector based? Mine has the reflector and hesitant to upgrade to LED's due to glare and such for oncoming drivers.

Thx !
To answer your question. Nissan Rogue models came with reflector headlight. If there projector then it's aftermarket, which $700+ on eBay. You can buy halogen h11 bulbs from Amazon, wouldn't be bright as HID OR LED. At least you don't blind people or get pull over.

IIRC, the SL model came with LED headlights which I think are projector based. So would installing LED based bulbs in a reflector housing will blind people?

geralds95

I tried unscrewing the screws from the license plate bulb lens and I used a tiny screwdriver but I can't unscrew the screws due to the screws being more inside of the trunk lid. Any suggestions? Cause I don't want to take out the whole trunk panel from the inside

Return to “Rogue Forum”