25 year gtr importation

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
tyndago

themadscientist wrote:I don't think the car must emanate from the country of manufacture. I've seen European cars leave Japan for the states before. That TMO was willing to do it does not necessarily mean it's acceptable, however. They expect the owner to do that research. It's the age that's crucial. I would hope Sean could weigh in on that specifically.
25 is 25. Doesn't matter where it comes from or originated. So a car from Canada, New Zealand, Australia, or England is fine. GT-R from Canada, to Alfa Romeo from Australia, as long as its over 25 years old, you are all good.

We will see how things go, but I can say that 1989's are scarce. http://www.gtrusablog.com/2013/03/nissa ... assis.html

August 1989 BNR32-000054
September 1989 BNR32-001089
October 1989 BNR32-002089
November 1989 BNR32-003027
December 1989 BNR32-004027

January 1990 BNR32-005083

http://www.gtrusablog.com/2013/01/nissa ... dates.html

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

I think if I do take the plunge and grab a 32 R I'll get a 1994. Might as well have the newest 32 I can find plus it's never a good idea to buy the first year of any car unless it's some collectable thing. I should buy an 89 now, though, and wait so I can sell it to a PCSing fanboi for double what I paid for it.

Vega18
Car: 1993 hnr32 w/ rb25det

I live in the Dominican republic and I own a skyline hnr32 1993, my main concern is not dot since in a couple of years (5) the car will be over 25 years old, it has never seen US soil, i want to bring the car to the states for my own use, to my knowledge, the car has to be in an unmodified state, meaning no engine swaps, the car currently has an rb25det from an r33, so if technically i can get an rb20det motor, the one that came originally in the car, it shouldnt see an issue being brought into the states, now if i decide to keep the rb25, is it possible to meet epa standard for this car with an ICI, by slapping some cats, turning the boost down, and remapping the ecu i have for it. Ive tried emailing the epa and dot but have not had any luck with such. Here is the EPA and what the say as far as for cars 21 years or older.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/documents/420b10027.pdf

Section 2.1.3.2 subset (a) is the one that is most applicable for this instance

Is anyone a ICI on the forum or know of any reputable ICI's who might be able to fill in the blanks as far as what is needed and how to go about doing it. I prefer to start thinking about bringing it in and getting the necessary materials to do it, instead of hastily going with the wind and just sending it as is. Or if i should just give up hope, enjoy it while i have it and then sell the beast when it comes time to go back to the good ol USA.

tyndago

Vega18 wrote:, is it possible to meet epa standard for this car with an ICI, by slapping some cats, turning the boost down, and remapping the ecu i have for it. Ive tried emailing the epa and dot but have not had any luck with such. Here is the EPA and what the say as far as for cars 21 years or older..
To be EPA exempt, the vehicle needs to be in original configuration when imported.

Putting on a cat, turning on down the boost, none of that puts the car in original configuration. If you have to mod and test a car, then you are talking FTP testing, and thousands, and thousands of dollars.

http://vehicleimport.blogspot.com/2011/ ... motor.html

DwillcauseUcant
Car: 1990 Nissan Skyline GTR-R32

Hey Fellas,

New to NICO, and looking to help with the importation fight.

I am the proud owner of a 1990 GTR-R32 with little modification. The exhaust; however, is aftermarket. I am in the market for the stock set up and will be slapping that on prior to export inspection.

I am military stationed in Yokosuka, Japan and I have great connections in Tokyo and Nagoya for all things GTR. Please let me know if anyone needs a hand in getting a hold of anything.

MY QUESTION:

1. Does anyone have an RI that they would like to refer me to?

Cheers

tyndago

DwillcauseUcant wrote:
MY QUESTION:

Cheers
You don't need an RI.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ ... -Rule.aspx

i wanaskyline
Car: 99 and 00 Mustang both in the USA. Nissan R'nessa, and 2 R32 GTR's

DwillcauseUcant wrote:Hey Fellas,

MY QUESTION:

Cheers

Asking questions like this shows you should just stop now. Tyndago is a lot nicer then me, if you can't read and findout your own answers then you are a fanboi, and don't need to be in possession of that car. Now cry about how I just hurt your feelings.

soccersocker

This writeup http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ ... -Rule.aspx had a lot of good nuggets, but was specific to California. Does anybody know if there are similar direct import laws in New Jersey and/or New York that would impede the importation process? Excuse my ignorance, but is there a list on a state-to-state basis for these laws?

Honestly speaking, my plan is to hang back and wait until 2018 for the R33 to come into the picture, & let everyone work out the kinks of successfully importing R32's until then. Hopefully at that time there will be enough success stories for people to model the process after. :bigthumb: There is a lot of information out there to take in, but there is a lot of legal jargon to wrap one's head around.

cooljustin
Car: 1989 Skyline GTR32 (BNR32) with Bee-r324 Body Kit, Audi A8L W12

themadscientist wrote:I think if I do take the plunge and grab a 32 R I'll get a 1994. Might as well have the newest 32 I can find plus it's never a good idea to buy the first year of any car unless it's some collectable thing. I should buy an 89 now, though, and wait so I can sell it to a PCSing fanboi for double what I paid for it.
No offence but R32 Zenkai is much better quality compared to the latter version (years) since Nissan dedicated itself to launch the near perfect machine at that time. As edition of models evolve, cost cutting process kicks in.

- This is a written fact agreed by my mate owning 1993 GTR32 who compared his vehicle with mine (1989 version)

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”