240sx vs rx7 (chassis wise)

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
shinjitsu
Car: 91 240sx

Hey guys, im looking to buy a project car and was wondering what chassis has better reliability and handling for drifting, grip, autocross, etc. I already plan to swap it with a high hp motor so im not worried about how fast either can go i just want the handling weight to ratio wise. thanks.

Veriest1
Car: '96 M3 and '93 240 coupe dd

RX7 should be better. The 240 chassis is rather flimsy.

Given the premium most people are wanting for RX7's I wouldn't use one for a full build up unless I could find a great deal on a rolling chassis. But IMO the rx7 is lousy for drifting or other motorsports where walls become involved unless it's provided by your sponsor due to the lack of body parts from junkyards and the 240 is just flimsy. I'm completely and utterly unimpressed with mine and it's almost fully built suspension. Mine might be more impressive if it had a full cage but... crap... when you start running it hard the econo-car roots really show through.

I'd go with an e36 chassis. Especially if you aren't sticking with whatever engine comes in the car from the factory (like if you were going to do a v8 swap on a rex). This will bypass a lot of the premium prices for e36 performance parts. There are also a lot more of them out there than rx7's so replacing body panels will be cheaper. The difference between the m and non-m's becomes irrelevant with a full build. If you're sticking with the factory motor (which will probably still be cheaper than swapping a v8 in either car) then a holset turbo from a cummins on an s52 or a 2.8 will net you nice power. More than you probably know what to do with unless you're a pro driver... as long as you keep it below 550 ft. lbs. or so of torque you shouldn't even need to build the bottom end. Probably just need a headgasket.

Or a 350Z those are nice.

stevodude
Car: 93 Skyline GTR

Rx7 = my favirote car

EfiniRX7
Car: 93 FD3S not going anywhere, 2003 E46 M3 traded, s14 sold, 2010 camaro sold, now another kouki s14, FD did go somewhere, Now a 535whp rotary Kouki s14

I drive an FD that is st1 legal. I also have a daily driver s14. My s14 is becoming more of a performance oriented daily driver, I would call it sporty. I made my previous statements to say that my s14 feels very capable compared to my FD. Im not saying my s14 is better or the same, but I believe if the same amount of money was invested into my s14 with the same goal of becoming a track only car it could perform on the same level. I would say that an s14 is much better than an FC (I owned an FC as well). I don't think it's fair to compare an FD to an S14, the FD was double the sales price of the s14 when both cars were new. If your trying to decide between an FC, or S14 I would chose the S14. The s14 is by far the best bang for the buck, an FD is better in every engineering, and performance aspect but is expensive along with being high maintenance. I don't think you can go wrong with the s14 chassis.

Now s13 wise, I owned one of those as well. I also hated it. Im not going to make a judgement based on my experience with my s13 because it was old and stock, and had a ca18det.

EfiniRX7
Car: 93 FD3S not going anywhere, 2003 E46 M3 traded, s14 sold, 2010 camaro sold, now another kouki s14, FD did go somewhere, Now a 535whp rotary Kouki s14

^ I should also add I only have coilovers, along with a good wheel/tire combo on my s14. I can't really feel an ounce of body roll in my s14. I normally use my s14 for auto-x events just to have some fun. I really do love my s14, it dose everything I ask it to do well(daily drive, some auto-x events here and there, and get's good gas millage). I should also state I swapped an s14 SR into the car, the best thing to ever happen to the car. I bought the SR for gas millage reasons over keeping the KA. My SR is basically stock, runs great, gets 32mpg on the high way, and has decent power.

Return to “Others”