240sx v8 build

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
540sx
Car: 240SX

finally got back out to the ranch to put in some more work.
car still needs a lot of tuning to run right but
here is a vid of exhuast note as is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9V9d7DI1UQ

happy listening,

maik21
Car: 240sx Coupe 5.0 90

afr at idle seems to be fine. maybe a little rich but its fine. sound good too.

540sx

thanks,
needs to be tuned, during open loop it is rich, once goes into closed it starts bouncing around between low 14 and low 15,
still leans out if I blip the throttle too much which is why I barely touched it.
when it is ready to drive then I will hook up the laptop and do some data logging so I can
really start tuning.

maik21

are you tuning in real time or are you tuning from datalog and then burning chips?

540sx

right now going off memory and making some general adjustments that are obvious just to get it in the ball park.

I am set up for data logging and emulation so once it is time I will probably do some of both.
figure I will need to data log to adjust VE tables,
and maybe emulation while playing with spark.

From what I have read adding advance will alter how much fuel is needed so
I imagine it will be a bit of back and forth,
also read about some good ways to tune VE using BLM values and excel.
will be making an excel to plug the BLM values into that will calculate the new value for VE cell.

First time tuning a car like this(EFI), only second time tuning period.
I am reading a lot and trying to soak up as much as I can before I get into it.

540sx

drove the car for first time in 2 years.
needs some tuning but still awesome to drive.

have a video in the next couple of weeks.

cali stunter
Car: 1989 240sx hatchback

hey guys new to nico i got a question for you guys what tranny are you running with that 5.0? me and a buddy are gonna build a 5.0 ho to drop in we want a manual tranny but a mustang t5 from what ive heard isnt hydraulic and we were trying to measure if the engine will fit without knocking back the firewall a little so will it drop right in or is there more work that needs to be done?

540sx

I am using a tk0500 with my 5.4L , McCleod hydraulic throwout bearing, centerforce dual friction clutch, wilwood master cylinder.
I would read up on this swap a bit if you are not familiar with what is needed before you spend a penny towards it.

540sx

Car is up for sale in current condition.
Drives, can drop the clutch and it goes. Have hardware and software for tuning the ecu.
Not street legal yet, engine swap has not been inspected yet, in good with the smog rep though who helped me with the idea to put the TPI on it from a camaro.
I could pass along your name if needed.

I have put well over $30000 in parts into this car(lost track after a while) and don't have the time or energy to finish it anymore now that I got my second kid on the way.
AS you can see from this thread there has been a lot of custom work on this car. the engine and trans alone are worth about 11k.
Less than 700 miles on the engine and trans.

I have invested over 2500 hours of my personal time researching and building this car.
I have a manila envelope full of receipts for all the big stuff and a summit racing shipping box full of manuals for the parts.
If you are serious and looking for a mostly done car to finish then contact me.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Sorry to hear you're getting rid of it dude. I understand though, kids require pretty much all of your attention...they're expensive too!

maik21

i remember when i saw your videos with your v8 turbo car. that was inspiring to make my car turbo too. good lucky to you.

540sx

I am finishing up the few details in the meantime to get it street legal. I have put so much into this car that I will not let it go for nothing.
I want to finish it but if I get the right offer I will let it go.

wdracing - thanks for the support ,preschool is the killer $$$$.
Maik21 - thanks

I recently end up building a custom aluminum shroud to house 2 permacool 12 fans. I had the older 12" hp fans that still had the plastic blades but upgraded due to a cracking the blade when switching from pusher to puller. now both have the blue aluminum blades, they move a lot of air. will be adding some heat shield to oil cooler lines running by the exhaust and moving the oil temp sender away from the block and exhaust.

WDRacing

Just for geewhizz, what are you looking to get for her?

540sx

I know I will take a loss on this so I am hoping for around 20k, not sure if that is realistic but there is 30k+ in parts and materials and well over 1000 hours of my labor to build it.
I still have the manifolds for the turbo and the downpipe and a better starter I plan on putting on once the turbo goes back on.

WDRacing

Well, you can get a C5 Corvette with around 50,000 miles for under 20k dude. Realistically you're probably not going to get anywhere near that for an old 240SX with a custom V8 swap. I know you've put in the work and all the parts cost a ton of money, but 20k buys a lot of car these days.

540sx

kind of what I expect so I will probably finish the build and keep it for tracking down the road, or finish it and sell complete with paint. I definitely need to add A/C living in Socal, planning to mount the unit in back seat in fiberglass enclosure so you don't see it.

540sx

decided to sell for $15,000 OBO.
if you are interested make me an offer, don't have time for this anymore and do not want to invest anymore money into a car now that I got my second child due in march.
car is not complete but I have invested double what I am asking for it in parts alone. this is being sold as a project car.
not street legal yet. in California it will not pass smog, the Dart pro1 200cc heads do not have the passage for the exhaust gas for the egr valve to work.

most of the original parts listed on the first page of this thread are still accurate. changes are the top end now is the tpi fuelinjection with the edelbrock baselate, customized throttle body with welded in aluminum air foil that was shaped to help air flow, 60lb injectors in anticipation of turbo/supercharger.
car is running the 91 tpi speed density setup,
car has mustang fr500 rims 17x9 up front with 255/45/17 kumho ecsta spt tires and 17x10.5 with 285/40/17 in the rear.
the seats are fixed and do not slide. if you plan to use the seats I would be happy to alter the mounting points on the customized brackets I made to fit you(took originals and altered a bit to set the seat lower in the car). enigne is now mounted with moroso solid motor mounts.

hardware from Moates.net , the AUP1 that does data logging, real time emulation, and burns chips.
link for the AUP1 http://www.moates.net/apu1-autoprom-pac ... l?cPath=64
ecu has the gp1 adapter from moates.net as well which makes it very easy to swap chips.
ecu is custom mounted behind the glove box and set up to drop down when bolts are loosened giving access to cover for easy access for tuning, also easy enough to take off the glove box.

have new starter, exhaust manifolds used for the turbo setup, the chinese gt45 turbo that had parts swapped for real garret parts, 4in down pipe and some other exhaust pieces for the 4in exhuast.
with the close to 9.0 compression might be a little over I would expect around 350 hp from this setup with out the turbo, with 6-8psi of boost could easily hit 500-525(could obviously do more but told not to exceed 550 with this block). 2 bolt mainblock, small journal 327 will all forged internals, only thing reused was block and the original forged crank which was refinished and now .02 under as result, cylinders are .06 over, eagle h-beam rods and icon pistons(were the keith black forged pistons when I bought them now but those are sold as ICON now).
has a custom gauge panel with around 1200 dollars of gauges(including AEM WB afr, Stewart Warner MPH, the rest are autometer).

540sx

have too much work to spend anytime on the car, have not touched it since april, 2014. If someone comes up with $10k the whole thing is yours.
The chinese GT-45 turbo is not available anymore to come with the car.

540sx

After a year off from working on the car I am back at it, realized that I am itching to drive my project car more then anything out there. Guess this means I am finishing :/ Installed the permacool fan controller for my oil fan, and it is holding the oil temps down now. adjusted the tune a bit, planning to go out and do some tuning this Saturday.

A few years back i wrote some code in ruby to that takes the blm, rpm and map readings from data logging in csv format and crunches the numbers to pull the average blm per map and rpm (+/- 25 rpm of the targeted rpm in the VE table )and writes to a new file. that is used to plug into an excel workbook, the data is pivoted and along with the original values from my bin the excel calculating the new values to put in the table. It was decent before but I made small adjustments to the spark to compensate for low compression since I read that not enough timing with low compression can make the car overhear/run hot; so back to VE tuning now that the spark as been tampered with. This weekend I am hoping to get the VE tables in good shape again.
Last edited by 540sx on Thu May 07, 2015 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

This pleases me... :)

WDRacing

Any updates to this? 2016 is right around the corner!

Return to “Hybrids”