240SX Coupe - RB26DETT

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
mattblancarte
Car: 2005 BMW M3 Comp. Coupe

ralphsdiorama wrote:Your car is f***ing awesome Matt. Every time I see this thread it gets me fired up and inspired to finish my project. Get some videos up soon please : )
Thanks! Glad to hear I'm inspiring some RB wrenching. I'll need to get an onboard cam here this month.
hbpignosePA wrote:not feeling the wing.. still an awesome car tho
I can totally understand. If I were building a show car, I wouldn't have gone in this direction.

You may not "feel" it, but I can literally feel the difference in speed and stability. hehe
Didderson wrote:Sounds like a sweet day. LOL saab says go around!

Not feelin the wing either but the way you mounted it is hella functional so nothing wrong with that
It was too fun, honestly. Pacific Raceways is a full-fledged crap your pants type of track.

I enter into turn 1 at the end of the straight at literally 150mph lap after lap on boost setting B. I carried a TON of speed through turn 9 near the end of the day, and I was indicating 80mph on my dash at turn entry, which indicates .5 actual speed (this has been radar tested at different speeds).

Turns 2, 3A, 4, and 8 were all braking zones starting well into 4th gear. Talk about gut-wrenching when you try to nail the zone at the limit. Turn 2 I was braking from about 150mph down to 80-90mph for the kink.
Dano wrote:This build is super rad. I'm gonna keep watching

Keep up the great work!
Thanks! I'll keep working on this beast, no doubt.

mattblancarte

JDM_albert wrote:Have you noticed any difference in grip with the extra downforce? I think you should anyway..
Yes! Yes! Yeess! I can't even describe the difference in speeds I attained yesterday in comparison to my previous setup.

The stability I have during high-speed kinks and corners is just amazing. I also didn't experience a suspension unload while cresting the hill between turns 3B and 4.

Corner exits from 2, 5B, and 7 were so ridiculous that I was able to PEG the throttle at or before the apexes.

Wild, just wild.

Tsukiko
Car: 1990 240sx fastback KA24E

Sorry if you'd mentioned this earlier, but where did you acquire your fender flares?

mattblancarte

ZG Flares made by Classic Datsun

http://classicdatsun.com/

Dazzla

Paint the wing white :p

mattblancarte

I've considered that. My thoughts on body work change pretty often so you never know.

mRodiek
Car: Stock Hatch

You sir, have awesome taste, but..

GET NEW TAILS! lol

crakin
Car: 1996 240sx s14, 2008 Chevrolet silverado crew cab,
2011 Suzuki gsxr 750

man where did you find the Key!s racing steering wheel? I want one so freakin bad.

mattblancarte

I like the oem tails as long as I have oem bumpers. The clear and red ones look nice, but kind of ricey.

The wheel was on the car when I bought it, thank god. It's a pricey little item ha! They can be found on rhdjapan.com all day long.

ZOOMIGUEL
Car: 1989 240sx SR20DET
2006 Lexus IS250 AWD

where did u get that coolant res?!

mattblancarte

Coolant rez is a pretty standard circuit sports model...

Are you talking about the oil cooler shroud?

spooled240
Car: kouki s14

i NEVER thought i'd say this but you need some aggressive-a** aero!

would you consider the URAS type-GT? It's kinda weird looking but for a functional track car I think it would go nicely.

^ and dmax tails ftw!

mattblancarte

Hehe, already bought my aero. Check page 7 for the new bumper/sideskirts. AIT Racing URAS.

Sure, it's cheap, but I fully expect damage to that bumper over time. I still need to modify it with the addition of canards, optimized airflow for utility vents, etc.

Will be installing a custom APR front splitter, too.

mRodiek

spooled240 wrote:^ and dmax tails ftw!
Whatchu saaaaay??

mattblancarte

Hey all. Had a great track day with SCCA out at Bremerton Motorsports Park. My car isn't equipped to pass the 2010 GCR for Track Trials, so I had to run with Club Trials. Ended up running the fastest lap of anyone who showed up in any class that day with a :58.228.

Enjoy this onboard vid! I have a few more outside shots that I will upload here soon. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFrKdXMST8U

P.S. I ran this entire day at low-boost so I'm making about 310 whp. I'm trying to keep the turbos running well for another season or two hehe.

mattblancarte

^^Forgot to say that I captured all video in HD! hehehe^^

Thought this image was pretty sweet. I hadn't been here in more than 5 years, and definitely not in a car this fast, so I was pushing it out of most corners to see where the limit was.

The quaife lsd hooked up both wheels on this exit, which made for a fun little drift. Slower for that lap, but it was good to feel the edge. Ended up getting this exit down by then end of the run.

Will have a video link when I get around to uploading it.

Dazzla

Car looks damn fun to drive!

Razi
Car: Moo

I love your coupe, Matt!

mattblancarte

Dazzla wrote:Car looks damn fun to drive!
It really is! The car is really well balanced and does EXACTLY what my inputs tell it to. Very predictable cars are very fun cars on track!

That, and all you saw in that video was 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears so you saw a range of 60-140 mph or so. :)
Razi wrote:I love your coupe, Matt!
Thanks!!! :)

mRodiek

140mph phew. Awesome as usual!

justinedible4
Car: 1990 Honda Accord, 1991 S13 HB

nom nom nom nom!

mattblancarte

Figured I would pop this vid into the thread since the site update allows youtube embeds. Enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFrKdXMST8U[/youtube]

mattblancarte

Well, folks, it's been a while. Pretty big update, including:

1. Car is for sale!!!

2. Finished wing setup, which includes bezel around trunk-opening.
3. Freshly painted spare trunk lid so the car can be reverted back to super-clean wingless mode.
4. Freshly painted/repaired roof!
5. Freshly painted fender flares.
6. Brand new brake rotors and pads all around.

Check out some pics:

Last edited by mattblancarte on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OM3GA
Car: A Sexy Mobile, 1993 Nissan 240sx 180sx Hatcher

holy masticating cows!

mattblancarte

Well, this is the end, fellow Nico members. The car has been sold!

Flicktitty
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx 2JZ-GTE Swapped
1994 Toyota Supra
2019 Lexus GX460
1992 Lexus SC400

Bummer, Whats next on the list to build/buy/own?

Congrat's on the sale!

mattblancarte

Thanks! That's a good question. I'm not totally sure yet, to be honest.

I'm going to try to get more info on what's happening with the brand-new NASA northwest chapter. I'd like to do some wheel to wheel racing, or possibly even move into doing kart racing. Lapping days and time trials just aren't doing it for me. :)

PantherRacer
Car: 1992 Nissan Skyline R32 RB20DET Sedan

Sweet, sux that you sold it, but hope the new owner likes it!
I LOVE that wing!!!! Wish the one on my old coupe was that high...

Bluefire

Wow can't believe that thing is still alive! A quick anecdote on the car... After finishing the 2nd? build and painstakingly tuning it to 400whp, I had to drive it back from the dyno location back to the shop. I decided to have a little fun with it and blasted it down a long straight to the shop. I've driven faster cars, but this thing was the s*** and reaffirmed my love for RB's. Anyways, I hit the brakes hard and am about to turn into the shop complex, when i see a f*** cop parked in the driveway on the otherside of the street. At this point, I just assume that i'm f*** so I calmly pull off to the side and shut the engine off. Keep in mind this is a bright white, gutted and caged s13 with no plates, straight race car. As the cop walks over i remember thinking to myself, the car will get impounded, i'll probably get fired, and my a** is probably going to jail. Was it worth it? Hell the f*** yes! Anyways, after he checks my license and asks me the usual dumb questions, he starts asking me about the car... What kind of engine does it have? Am i running nitrous? Am I one of those "drifters"? I nervously answer everything and even offer to give him a ride if he wants. He declines, says, "have a good day" and walks away.... I swear i'm not religious, but that was a god damn miracle! Coolest f*** cop i've ever met! Next to the cop I was building the car for ;)

mattblancarte

Not only is it alive, but it's in way better condition than when I purchased it. :)

Haha excellent anecdote there. You have no idea how surprised I was to buy it from a CHP... He basically HAD to get rid of it or he was going to get fired. He was getting in too much trouble with his superiors at the station.

Definitely the coolest cop I've ever met.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”