240SX Coupe - RB26DETT

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
ShinHed
Car: 1998 S14, 1993 S13 coupe, 1986 720

Who'da thunk this "track" car would actually become a real track car. Good sh*t.

BTW, Also being a Subaru man, I stumbled across this car that reminded me of yours...

Chris28
Car: 92 s13 KA-T

Wing looks AWESOME! Can't wait to see it all on the ground with the wing, I'm sure it will look just as good as it will perform.

Why such wide slots in the trunk lid? I know you're not going to leave it like that, what are your plans for touching it up?

mattblancarte
Car: 2005 BMW M3 Comp. Coupe

ShinHed wrote:Who'da thunk this "track" car would actually become a real track car. Good sh*t.
No kidding right. This was the plan, though. I wanted a full season with it on street compound, standard (almost) size and compound tires.
Chris28 wrote:Wing looks AWESOME! Can't wait to see it all on the ground with the wing, I'm sure it will look just as good as it will perform.

Why such wide slots in the trunk lid? I know you're not going to leave it like that, what are your plans for touching it up?
Good questions. I wanted a little bit of flexibility with the width of the brace tower mounting along the rails.

I plan on painting, then riveting some rubber welting around the cut.

I'm also going to cut some tiny slots perpendicular to the current cut so that the trunk can be opened up to the bottom of the wing. That's why I cut it down so far down the back, too.

I need to access the trunk all the time during track events, so it was only logical.

Think of the weather stripping "flap" on the bottom of a door, but on all four sides of each tower.

It'll look flush, don't worry.

I have a pretty busy week with my business coming up, and will probably only be able to fit in 10-15 hours in the garage. Should be enough to mount the surge tank when it comes tomorrow, and to paint the wing/trunk brace.

Track day in 8 DAYS at Pacific Raceways!!!!!!!!!!!

mattblancarte

All ready for next Monday's event!

Only thing left to do on this project is to install the weather stripping stuff around the trunk lid cuts.

The wing turned out pretty nice, and I think it really made my car look more subtle. I shouldn't expect any additional attention from law enforcement or anything.

P.S. the car is pretty dusty and dirty. Nice shots in a few days, and of course next monday at the event.

Surge tank arrived yesterday.

Dazzla

I dont like wings but that fits with the car pretty well

nelson8708
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx Fastback
1994 Acura Integra LS

i usually dont like wings but, i'll give props to that one. Its properly mounted and functional seeing the car is tracked often.

Keep it going.

-Nelson

mattblancarte

Thanks, guys.

fabrisuzu
Car: 1992 240 coupe w/sr

Amazing! It'd be interesting to see how your car does in a wind tunnel, i mean what kind of downforce that thing actually generates. Nice to see a wing on a car that is actually used for more than looks. SICK BUILD

HoosierSX
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx, 1971 Chevrolet Camaro

lol, i love this build.

GravityX
Car: s13inmydreams

Awesome!! It's coming a long way. Can't wait for track vids and pics. Keep up the good work Oh and btw you're interior setup is

mRodiek
Car: Stock Hatch

Wings seem to be easing their way back into the automotive community, especially these GT [giant, towering] wings.

Looks good Matt, keep it up.

s13_chris
Car: 90 240sx Hatch

Can I just request a update of pure pictures? Motor shot, full exterior shot, interior shot. I just want to see what it looks like up to date. I'm fascinated with your thread and want to persue a rb26 in the future. Working summers fighting fire can be very bountiful if the country starts to burn. I go, everywhere!. Thanks in advance.

S13AL
Car: 1991 240sx hatch with blacktop s13 sr20det, HKS Hipermax III suspension, HKS Sport exhaust, Blitz downpipe, S15 Sylvia HLSD, 300zx/J30 5 lug and brakes, and mesh wheels

It's not very often you see a wing of that behemothousness (LOL) on a coupe but it looks pretty intimidating. I like it.

HoosierSX
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx, 1971 Chevrolet Camaro

240sx_ch08 wrote:Can I just request a update of pure pictures? Motor shot, full exterior shot, interior shot. I just want to see what it looks like up to date. I'm fascinated with your thread and want to persue a rb26 in the future. Working summers fighting fire can be very bountiful if the country starts to burn. I go, everywhere!. Thanks in advance.
earlier he said that he's going to clean it up and take some pics in the near future

mattblancarte

fabrisuzu wrote:Amazing! It'd be interesting to see how your car does in a wind tunnel, i mean what kind of downforce that thing actually generates. Nice to see a wing on a car that is actually used for more than looks. SICK BUILD
Thanks! Indeed, I'd love to measure the aero on the car or get access to some data from a similar setup.

Mounting a wing like this to a trunk lid is just a waste of time.

I'll be building a full under body tray, fitting a rear diffuser and then installing a front splitter/canard setup.
HoosierSX wrote:lol, i love this build.

GravityX wrote:Awesome!! It's coming a long way. Can't wait for track vids and pics. Keep up the good work Oh and btw you're interior setup is
Thanks.
mRodiek wrote:Wings seem to be easing their way back into the automotive community, especially these GT [giant, towering] wings.

Looks good Matt, keep it up.
Good point. Particularly, the NASA AZ community influenced me. Every event, the three most commonly given comments to me were:

- wow, clean car and nice motor - get sticky tires - add aero

I went super tall to maximize clean air flow.
240sx_ch08 wrote:Can I just request a update of pure pictures? Motor shot, full exterior shot, interior shot. I just want to see what it looks like up to date. I'm fascinated with your thread and want to persue a rb26 in the future. Working summers fighting fire can be very bountiful if the country starts to burn. I go, everywhere!. Thanks in advance.
Of course. I've got a lot of work to do outside of the garage to do this week, but I'm hoping to have her spit-shined and ready for driveway photo shoot time on Friday or Sat.

I have nothing else to do maintenance-wise other than change the oil again (because of the recent dyno session) and then fill her with fuel.
JDM_albert wrote:It's not very often you see a wing of that behemothousness (LOL) on a coupe but it looks pretty intimidating. I like it.
Haha I know, right? Now when I walk into my garage I'm like

nissan_star
Car: 2000 maxima se and 1993 240sx vert (5sp!!!)

this car is too cool!!!

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

Checking in... and still loving it

mattblancarte

Just spent some time perusing SCCA rules and regs...

Looks like I'll be competing in a minimum of four SCCA Track Trials this season!

My car will be classed in Tier 3 for on-track events and I'm eligible to compete in Tier 4 hill climbs. Haven't found any on the schedule yet.

woohoo!

mattblancarte

Car is still plenty dirty, but I had to take her for a drive today.

You can see why I cut the slits down the back of the trunk lid... it opens!

mRodiek
Car: Stock Hatch

You have an STi now too?!?AND a Grand Cherokee? Can we be best friends? lol

Do yourself a favor and get some origin/DMAX tails for her.

mattblancarte

Rofl no. I run my marketing business from home, and my two business partners are my roommates.

The jeep is mine, though. I needed something to haul the 240!

EDIT: did not mean to come across as saying, "no we can't be friends." LOL I meant no, the sti isn't mine. It's my roommates.

Lonismos14
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx, 1999 Chevy Hoe, 1996 Saturn Sl2

Now that is a huge wing.

s13 iDRIFT
Car: White s13 Hatch

this car is truley amazing, but that wing is huge!! l0l

i just wanna say i love you. no ****

mattblancarte

Well, today's Proformance Advance Afternoon lapping was freaking insane to say the least.

The weather went from HAIL DOWNPOUR to sprinkling to sun, then back to rain during my last 5 laps or so.

First of all, I'd like to establish Proformance Driving School as the BEST host to a lapping day that I've ever attended.

Even with all the terrible weather, I was able to get 150 or so minutes of ON TRACK TIME. Mind you, all of it from 1pm to 5pm. No kidding. I was one of 2 people on track for quite a while at the end of the day.

They also had an open skidpad, with a figure-8 configuration! What a blast!

SORRY FOR ALL THE YELLING, BUT TODAY WAS AWWEESSSOOOMMMEEE.

I was nervous about my new suspension settings, wing mount, TIRES, tune, etc. Not to mention, I was running in torrential downpours for the first hour.

Happy to report that she ran like a bat out of hell. I couldn't be more satisfied with how the car is sorted. Can't wait for the May 2nd SCCA Time Trial.

The action shots are of the approach to, and exit of turn 9 at Pacific Raceways.

Would you believe me if I told you I pretty much topped the car out on the 3/4 mile straight?

A more detailed review of the track day to come soon... A few shots to enjoy, though:

Saw a lot of point-by's today.

Modified by mattblancarte at 8:41 PM 3/29/2010

ralphsdiorama
Car: 1991 240sx, 1998 240sx (RB project)

Your car is f***ing awesome Matt. Every time I see this thread it gets me fired up and inspired to finish my project. Get some videos up soon please : )

TheBlaiant
Car: Slow40sx

Haha looks look someone needs aero now!Your car looks goofy with a wing and stock bumpers

hbpignosePA
Car: 90 240sx hatch (Jackstand Queen), 78 Datsun 280z (RIP), 89 cressida (Sold) 86 200sx hatch (sold) 83 280zx turbo (parts car)
90 volvo 240 (sold)
80 mx32 cressida (new daily)

not feeling the wing.. still an awesome car tho

Didderson
Car: 1990 240sx fastback; '88 Hardbody pickup; '74 Datsun Z

Sounds like a sweet day. LOL saab says go around!

Not feelin the wing either but the way you mounted it is hella functional so nothing wrong with that

Dano
Car: '05 Nismo Frontier CC / '95 240sx base

This build is super rad. I'm gonna keep watching

Keep up the great work!

S13AL
Car: 1991 240sx hatch with blacktop s13 sr20det, HKS Hipermax III suspension, HKS Sport exhaust, Blitz downpipe, S15 Sylvia HLSD, 300zx/J30 5 lug and brakes, and mesh wheels

I doubt that the wing was mounted the way it was for its good looks. Have you noticed any difference in grip with the extra downforce? I think you should anyway..

Return to “240sx General Discussion”