240sx automatic to manual transmission conversion s13 and s14

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
lexrob
Car: s14 95'

Just another way to get off auto bushing... tried pipe wrench to no success so i took a 3/8 ext. wedged in between crack and smacked it with a hammer and popped her out ... lol

LiShaoLin
Car: 1996 Nissan 240SX SE

I am really unsure if this is the topic to be posting in this forum, so forgive me if you will!

My husband and I just recently did a tranny swap on our '96 240sx SE, and I've been trying to find out if when I put in a manual ECU into it and take the auto ECU out, will my autostart still work or will I have to rewire it for it to work? And if so, does anyone have a write up for that? Right now the autostart still works, so I wanted to know the results of changing to a manual?

JDS Performance

LiShaoLin wrote:I am really unsure if this is the topic to be posting in this forum, so forgive me if you will!

My husband and I just recently did a tranny swap on our '96 240sx SE, and I've been trying to find out if when I put in a manual ECU into it and take the auto ECU out, will my autostart still work or will I have to rewire it for it to work? And if so, does anyone have a write up for that? Right now the autostart still works, so I wanted to know the results of changing to a manual?
You will need to reiwre for the 5 speed ecu - most people just keep the auto as it does not have the speed cut.Check out my video it covers a ton of info that will help you. http://www.240SXTECHDVDS.org

Nismosport_
Car: 95 S14 Ka24det

Ok i have a reall qeustion and it might not cover it in that vid about the drive shaft i have a 95 obd1 white plug 240sx its auto and i have a drive shaft from a 90 non abs manual... My 95 is a abs/lsd so what i was going to do is take the rear section of the 90 which is 23.5 in long and use it as my front section on my 95.. Has any one tryed to do this kinda of stuff.. My rear section is good its just the front i have to do...I was gonna pop out the pins and mix and match to make it work...

JDS Performance

Nismosport_ wrote:Ok i have a reall qeustion and it might not cover it in that vid about the drive shaft i have a 95 obd1 white plug 240sx its auto and i have a drive shaft from a 90 non abs manual... My 95 is a abs/lsd so what i was going to do is take the rear section of the 90 which is 23.5 in long and use it as my front section on my 95.. Has any one tryed to do this kinda of stuff.. My rear section is good its just the front i have to do...I was gonna pop out the pins and mix and match to make it work...
Honestly I wouldnt waste any time or money on stock driveshafts the center (carrier) bearings are usuall ybad abd cost $100 to replace. Just get a 1 piece made and call it a day.

Nismosport_

My oem drive shaft is good the bearing is on the back part the rear part of the shaft i was gonna mess with the front part... The car has roughly 60,000miles

JDS Performance

Nismosport_ wrote:My oem drive shaft is good the bearing is on the back part the rear part of the shaft i was gonna mess with the front part... The car has roughly 60,000miles
well that be the case I have not tried it so I will not try and answer it.

Nismosport_

well the auto to manual s14 shaft is only roughly 1in diff.. Is there a adapter plate to extend one of the joints.. Or would i have to make that my self.. Is the auto s14 end shaft transmission spline the same as manual...

JDS Performance

Nismosport_ wrote:well the auto to manual s14 shaft is only roughly 1in diff.. Is there a adapter plate to extend one of the joints.. Or would i have to make that my self.. Is the auto s14 end shaft transmission spline the same as manual...
no its not them same - the front auto DS will not work on the 5 speed the rear piece will work with the front 5 speed.The ABS DS is .75" shorter than the 5 speed.So you will need to buy a 5 speed DS too - which is why I said just get a 1 piece and call it a day.

Nismosport_

Whats the best one piece drive shaft deal out there... The steel one for 350$ or is there better deals

95jordan240
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx

thanks....now i got the idea bout how it goes...

JDS Performance

shaftmasters is who the last one came from - worked just fine

locoluna825
Car: 90 240sx coupe

Ive read through the sticky for the s13 swap but don' see an answer to my question one or two others asked the same thing but never got there question answered.

Ive done a 5spd swap on a 90 240sx sohc, it though i remember seeing in a post somewhere saying that you can use the old auto harness to plug in your 5spd. well when i droped the auto i noticed all the plugs on it are different than the plugs for the 5spd, so how can this be? Did i misunderstand?

Do you need a manual trans harness and you use the auto harness so you can wire up the car so it will turn on and to make the lights work?

if so the manual trans harness is missing on the list of materials form the tut and needs to be corrected.

JDS Performance

Not trying to make a sale here but you need to check out my DVD - It will show you how to wire all the plugs in and everything.

http://www.240SXTECHDVDS.org

locoluna825

cool dude i found somewhere you can watch it for free XD ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~

~naaa just kididng lol i still need help on this though

jholling

Thanks

locoluna825

ive done all the wiring now, cars been wonderful, drives beautiful. i got the neutral safety switch going, the speedometer(had to rewire it because the previous owner of the trans cut the wire to the sensor), and reverse lights. just recently my engine light came on. i remember reading somewhere that said that would happen, does anyone know how to get rid of the light?

and DON'T suggest black tape please or disconnecting the bulb LOL i would like the light working so i can tell if something else happens to the car.

JDS Performance

locoluna825 wrote:ive done all the wiring now, cars been wonderful, drives beautiful. i got the neutral safety switch going, the speedometer(had to rewire it because the previous owner of the trans cut the wire to the sensor), and reverse lights. just recently my engine light came on. i remember reading somewhere that said that would happen, does anyone know how to get rid of the light?

and DON'T suggest black tape please or disconnecting the bulb LOL i would like the light working so i can tell if something else happens to the car.
what is the code for the check engine light? if you dont have a scanner take to autozone and get them to scan for codes.

I had "0" codes on my swap

locoluna825

well i haven't checked the code yet but i know its because of the tranny, it comes on once in a while and stays on for a couple trips then turns off again. i guess ill rip the ecu and check the codes, i hate doing this....

skywalkinv003t
Car: 95 nissan 240sx

ahhh i love air tools

Romeo_rus
Car: zenki RB25DET - SOLD, zenki SE ka24de - wrecked, zenki - sold, GOLD ZENKI - WILL LIVE FOREVA

Hello! I got 95 240sx with auto tranny.. and I'm going to do Ka+T and 5 spd conversion all together...I'm going to install s13 5spd tranny and get a s13 M/T ECU with JWT tune and OBDII to OBDI conversion harness.. HOW CAN I MAKE IT WORK??? 1. do I need to drill a hole for CAS?2. what should I wire?3. How do I need to repin harness for the ECU?

Do have it on your DVD?

JDS Performance

Romeo_rus wrote:Hello! I got 95 240sx with auto tranny.. and I'm going to do Ka+T and 5 spd conversion all together...I'm going to install s13 5spd tranny and get a s13 M/T ECU with JWT tune and OBDII to OBDI conversion harness.. HOW CAN I MAKE IT WORK??? 1. do I need to drill a hole for CAS?2. what should I wire?3. How do I need to repin harness for the ECU?

Do have it on your DVD?
No I do not - JWT has a write-up on thier site to wire up the ECU (I think)As for the CAS yes you can drill the holes for it - if you want to keep the ECU happy you will need it if not you wont.

As for the 5 speed S14 wiring yes that is all on my DVD.

s14derrick
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx

For all you guys asking all these questions. if you are that unsure about it check out his dvd. it annswers most everyones questions. its worth the money IMO it has explained all my unanswered q's

kgriffin
Car: 95 240sx

i cant wait to find all my parts and actually do the swap

kgriffin

ok sorry for the double post but quick question. im about to do the swap finally found all the parts. if i wire the neutral, 5th gear, and reverse lights will i have a check engine light? i have a 1995 se obd1 using the auto ecu. also with the cruse control work?

JDS Performance

kgriffin wrote:ok sorry for the double post but quick question. im about to do the swap finally found all the parts. if i wire the neutral, 5th gear, and reverse lights will i have a check engine light? i have a 1995 se obd1 using the auto ecu. also with the cruse control work?
if you had my DVD you would know the answers to those questions

Since I am a nice guy I will answer them for you

If you use the auto ECU you can not wire in the 5th - its a diagnostic pin location on the auto ECU - its not needed anyway but it might throw a code if not used?

As for the check engine light - some people do and some dont - I did not have one on my video car - I always wonder if people that get a code did wire it up right? I used a 5 speed ECU in my video though.

Your cruise control will work if you wire it up like I do in my video (hey cant give it all away)

kgriffin

JDS Performance wrote:
if you had my DVD you would know the answers to those questions

Since I am a nice guy I will answer them for you

If you use the auto ECU you can not wire in the 5th - its a diagnostic pin location on the auto ECU - its not needed anyway but it might throw a code if not used?

As for the check engine light - some people do and some dont - I did not have one on my video car - I always wonder if people that get a code did wire it up right? I used a 5 speed ECU in my video though.

Your cruise control will work if you wire it up like I do in my video (hey cant give it all away)
thanks for your help, as for the 5th gear sensor doesnt this guide show you how to wire it in to an auto ecu maybe i didnt read it right idk http://www.ka24development.com....html

kgriffin

kgriffin wrote:thanks for your help, as for the 5th gear sensor doesnt this guide show you how to wire it in to an auto ecu maybe i didnt read it right idk http://www.ka24development.com....html
ok i was reading in the 2007 modified mag on how to do the swap and it says to refer to that guide if you get a manual ecu my bad

Dazzla

Doing a 5-speed swap here in my 95' 240. I'm gonna keep the Auto ECU for now...what are the downsides with this?

Is it true that there is no rev limiter? Isn't that bad? What if you mis-shift like 5th to 2nd or something retarded, is your engine toast? lol

Dazzla

anyone?

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”