240sx automatic to manual transmission conversion s13 and s14

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
race4fox
Car: '91 RB powered 240

Hey man, completly understandable, its just a pain trying to find all OBDII parts seems how theyre only made from 96-98 haha. Im just trying to figure out a way that could possibly be cheaper, but more importantly, easier to find the parts. Junked S13s are a dime a dozen when compared to S14s, and even more so on OBDII S14s. The info is out there for OBDI to OBDI and OBDII to OBDII auto to manual swaps, but not so much on what Im trying to sort out.

DRFTs14
Car: 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo

I have a wiring question thats is holding me up from driving my car. I did the swap and I tossed my old auto trans harness because it was messed up and I got a lower harness from a 5 spd. The swap is done, but I am not getting power to the starter. I am sure it is because of that neutral safety switch, but how do I wire that up if I got rid of the auto trans harness???

Oh also, I swapped the ECU for a 5 spd ECU, so maybe its not the Neutral saftey or park neutral switch?

JDS Performance

DRFTs14 wrote:I have a wiring question thats is holding me up from driving my car. I did the swap and I tossed my old auto trans harness because it was messed up and I got a lower harness from a 5 spd. The swap is done, but I am not getting power to the starter. I am sure it is because of that neutral safety switch, but how do I wire that up if I got rid of the auto trans harness???

Oh also, I swapped the ECU for a 5 spd ECU, so maybe its not the Neutral saftey or park neutral switch?
Well the auto harness works best IMO.5 Speed ECU is recommended as well.

As for the Park switch (the only 2 wire plug behind the fuse box) - you just jumper the 2 wires on it together - this connector is behind the fuse box in the engine bay.There are 2 options - jumper the actual harness and loose the connector all together - or jumper the plug and plug it into the connector.

***If you relocated your battery - make sure you ran a wire to the starter from the battery

DRFTs14

Hey man thanks for responding so fast. I will definately do this tomorrow to see if it fixes it. So, all I had to do this whole time is connect the ends of 2 wires going into that single plug? Also, about the battery re-location, I have not done it yet but will in the future. So when you said run the wire from the battery to the starter, did you mean the ground or positive wire? Oh and one more thing, the extra plugs on the 5 spd harness that do not plug into anything, can I just snip them and tape them off so it looks cleaner without plugs hanging around? Thanks again guys.

JDS Performance

DRFTs14 wrote:Hey man thanks for responding so fast. I will definately do this tomorrow to see if it fixes it. So, all I had to do this whole time is connect the ends of 2 wires going into that single plug? Also, about the battery re-location, I have not done it yet but will in the future. So when you said run the wire from the battery to the starter, did you mean the ground or positive wire? Oh and one more thing, the extra plugs on the 5 spd harness that do not plug into anything, can I just snip them and tape them off so it looks cleaner without plugs hanging around? Thanks again guys.
No problem man.Yes its the only 2 wire plug (there are 4 plugs in a row) on the S14 its the top plug and I cant remember which location on the S13 it is but its the smaller of all the plugs and its a 2 wire plug as well.

As for the relocation - the starter has a power wire and a signal wire - the power wire being the thicker of the 2 - there are many ways of wiring up the relocation - the most basic way - is to keep the harness intack and use the stock posative battery cable - cut off the termanal - and extend it to the trunk (as you will still need to power everything)- of course there is more involved than just this.

Yes any connector not used can be cut off and taped up to the harness - just make sure the cut wire will never touch any other open wire or metal or you will have issues.I am not sure if you using the s13 or s14 harness or car for that matter?On the S14 tranny harness you have - from from front to rear - crank angle sensor (on ODBII), Reverse lamp switch, OD (5th) pos. switch, Neutral pos. switch, Speed sensor. You will use all of these with the 5 speed and auto harness. Reverse and Neutral is the only 2 you really need though.

If you have the lower harness too - it will have the subconnector to connect the tranny harness to, the starter wiring, oil press switch wire, alternator wiring, battery wiring, fuse box wiring - you will connect all of these.

The S13 tranny harness has - from front to rear - Speed sensor connector, Reverse lamp switch, Top (4th) pos. switch, OD (5th) pos. switch, Neutral pos. switch and the lower harness is the same as the S14

You do not need to connect the Top (4th) pos. switch or the OD (5th) pos. switch on the S13 tranny. But you can if you want it to be like factory.

DRFTs14

Hey man, I connected those 2 wires, and it still did not crank over. On the How to S13 swap on this forum, it says to splice the 2 wires together and then connect in back into the chasis plug. But All I have is that 2 wire plug. Nothing plugs into it. I thought its because I swapped harnesses. Anyways, All I did was jumper those two connector wires together, but it is not plugged into anything. Is it supposed to be? Is this where my problem it? When I connected the wires, I heard a relay start buzzing instead. It was the one closest to the shock tower in the pass side fuse block (the green one on the end). I cannot figure this damn thing out. Please help. By the way, this is on an S13. Thanks.

JDS Performance

DRFTs14 wrote:Hey man, I connected those 2 wires, and it still did not crank over. On the How to S13 swap on this forum, it says to splice the 2 wires together and then connect in back into the chasis plug. But All I have is that 2 wire plug. Nothing plugs into it. I thought its because I swapped harnesses. Anyways, All I did was jumper those two connector wires together, but it is not plugged into anything. Is it supposed to be? Is this where my problem it? When I connected the wires, I heard a relay start buzzing instead. It was the one closest to the shock tower in the pass side fuse block (the green one on the end). I cannot figure this damn thing out. Please help. By the way, this is on an S13. Thanks.
You confused me on that one - post a pic of how you jumpered the wires and the location of them etc.That will help understand alot better.

DRFTs14

Hey man. I am an idiot. I got messing around and finally got the starter to click. Maybe I didn't have them connected good enough, but it started clicking and I was like ****, my battery is probably almost dead because for some reason, my dash lights stay on even with the key out of the ignition, so maybe something else in the wiring is screwed up also. Anyways, I charged it up and it cranked right over. damn I feel retarded. Jumping those wires had me stumped though because i knew something like that was wrong, but I didn't know why I couldn't crank it over. Now my car runs. Yeaaaa. So thanks a million for helping me out. Now I just need to figure out why my dash lights are always on (mainly just the brake light from the e-brake being pulled, and the seatbelt light.

JDS Performance

DRFTs14 wrote:Hey man. I am an idiot. I got messing around and finally got the starter to click. Maybe I didn't have them connected good enough, but it started clicking and I was like ****, my battery is probably almost dead because for some reason, my dash lights stay on even with the key out of the ignition, so maybe something else in the wiring is screwed up also. Anyways, I charged it up and it cranked right over. damn I feel retarded. Jumping those wires had me stumped though because i knew something like that was wrong, but I didn't know why I couldn't crank it over. Now my car runs. Yeaaaa. So thanks a million for helping me out. Now I just need to figure out why my dash lights are always on (mainly just the brake light from the e-brake being pulled, and the seatbelt light.
Awsome glad you got it running - not sure on the dash lights though - the wiring for the 5 speed swap has nothing to do with those lights?

mRodiek
Car: Stock Hatch

very helpful...now maybe ill consider buying an auto S13 n convertting it lol

JDS Performance

DriftBoy07 wrote:very helpful...now maybe ill consider buying an auto S13 n convertting it lol
If I had the $$ I would for sure

nlzmo400r
Car: cars

Hi, I searched.

I'm in the middle of my 5speed swap and was finishing up the last bit of wiring when I came to the automatic speed control device step.Looking at this picture which isn't mine, it's another s14.

http://www.ka24development.com...h.jpg

I noticed that I have the two connecters on the right but not the one blue one on the far left...where did that come from. This is needed to complete the clutch cancel switch...any help guys would be appreciated.

-Chris
Modified by nlzmo400r at 1:36 PM 7/11/2008

teamSleep240
Car: Nissan 93' 240sx

I need some help. I am swapping a CA18DET with 5spd into my 93 s13 KA24DE auto. What clutch assembly and parts should I get for this swap? And where can I buy them?

jedis13
Car: 1989 nissan 240sx

nightkid86 wrote:Supplement on removing a flywheel:

There are a few ways to get an automatic or manual flywheel on or off.

The easiest by far is to have an impact gun. A quick ziiiip and the flywheel is on the ground. If you don't have an impact gun the flywheel will spin as you try to take it off, you can attempt to brace the flywheel using screwdrivers and such, while holding the crank pulley with a 27mm socket.... or you can use this secret:

EASY WAY TO GET ON AND OFF A FLYWHEEL: upon doing a clutch swap a year or so after my 5 speed conversion, I ran into a really easy way to change the flywheel. Basically you get a new bolt (and possibly a nut since the a/t flywheel isn't threaded) that will fit into a hole on the flywheel (the hole not used to bolt to the crankshaft) and use a bellhousing bolt. Run a chain between the two bolts as shown in the diagram below. it doesn't matter if the chain is too long, the excess can just dangle. Put the chain on and then turn the flywheel to add tension to the chain. The chain will now keep the flywheel from spinning. This works great to hold the flywheel if you don't have an impact gun. Wrench away.
this right here saved me soo much time during my clutch swap

paradox80
Car: 93 240sx

i'm new, but i am using jds swap dvd and WOW! tons of info. step by step. my only thing is the wiring. im stuck on the wiring because i'm electrically retarded. i'm starting to think that i bought the wrong harness. JDS also helps out alot. he's a very knowledgeable guy. thanks again.

JDS Performance

nlzmo400r wrote:Hi, I searched.

I'm in the middle of my 5speed swap and was finishing up the last bit of wiring when I came to the automatic speed control device step.Looking at this picture which isn't mine, it's another s14.

http://www.ka24development.com...h.jpg

I noticed that I have the two connecters on the right but not the one blue one on the far left...where did that come from. This is needed to complete the clutch cancel switch...any help guys would be appreciated.

-Chris

Modified by nlzmo400r at 1:36 PM 7/11/2008
Yes you will need that sensor on the clutch pedal for the cancel switch - if you would watched my DVD I go over this very clearly - as so many people have the same issues.

JDS Performance

teamSleep240 wrote:I need some help. I am swapping a CA18DET with 5spd into my 93 s13 KA24DE auto. What clutch assembly and parts should I get for this swap? And where can I buy them?
Not sure if the CA uses the same gearbox as the KA? I knwo the SR does.To be safe just get a clutch kit for the CA.

JDS Performance

paradox80 wrote:i'm new, but i am using jds swap dvd and WOW! tons of info. step by step. my only thing is the wiring. im stuck on the wiring because i'm electrically retarded. i'm starting to think that i bought the wrong harness. JDS also helps out alot. he's a very knowledgeable guy. thanks again.
Not sur eif you are the guy I have talking to over email? Please send me a email - i will try to help as much as I can.

I just pulled a S13 KA24DE Tranny harness yesterday so I will be more clear on what all is what agin.

[email protected]

JDS Performance

jedis13 wrote:this right here saved me soo much time during my clutch swap
yes its a great idea - it has actually been around for years - just be very careful to not break or strip out the threads on your flywheel!

Zballing
Car: 240sx

I got most of my parts of ebay you just have to be smart which means don't trust anyone they are all just trying to screw you

thizzmasta
Car: 240sx

i acually did this a while ago well couple months ago who has a auto 240 / 180its not that hard just time consuming took me about 10 hoursbut i also threw a new engine in aswell but if ur lookin for a chore do it up the wiring to make ur reverse lights work and park lights was the only thing ihad troubles with cuz my reverse sensor was RIPPED right out but she's done

z32s13
Car: twin turbo 300zx na 240sx s13

I just swapped my s13 to a manual. now it wont start nor even turn over. It is a 1989 (auto) with a 89 (manual) engine drivetrain and engine harness in it. I also used the 89(manual) ecu because of the numbers not matching on the ecu(73 74). The first 89 was an auto with power eveything (not seats)and the second 89(manual) a BASE MODEL. No gauge warning lights come on either just the battery light, door light, and brake light, nor lights just hazards . I also have a question about the little harness that comes out of the ecu main harness about 8 inches before it goes into the firewall to the engine. the one in my 89(auto) is 10 prong the one on the 89(manual) harness and ecu is a 4 prong plus the 89(auto) harness has a second 2 prong plug next to its 10 prong do these do??? (i think one goes to the guages) Any help would be great.K never mind my friend pointed me to the 240sx tech page ima try this then bug you guys.

Modified by z32s13 at 7:40 PM 2/3/2009

Modified by z32s13 at 8:34 PM 2/3/2009
Modified by z32s13 at 8:57 PM 2/3/2009

onedumubm24
Car: I have a 1989, a 1990 and 1991 Nissan 240sx.

ok so i readed through about 8 pages of this thread and didnt find it but in have an 89 SOHC with a 5spd and would like to put it into my 91 DOCH which currently has an auto. ive been told it cant be done because the the bolt holes on the engine dont match and ive also been told it can be just as easy. any thoughts would be awesome. if anyone knows of any other problems i might come across id like to know about those too please and thank you. oh and plz dont refer me back to this thread although it was very educational and ill use it if the SOHC 5spd wont work in my DOHC auto but id like to save some money by not buying what i already have. Please email any replies to me at [email protected] because idk when the next time ill be able to get on my computer will be and i can read and reply from my phone thanx

gilmartm3
Car: 1997 nissan 240sx le

Outstanding info!!!!!! Thax

Climb385
Car: 90 240sx hatchback-SOLD
90 S13 HATCH-SOLD
93 S13 CONVERTIBLE
15 F250 POWERSTROKE
08 ZX10R

ok i got a few questions. ive read this whole post like five times. i just couldnt seem to find some info i was looking for. like about the drive shaft, if i can get the first section, by the trans, can i bolt it up to my auto rear seaction. also i heard the a dohc tranny has to have a dohc speed sensor? i have a 90 hatch sohc, swapping in a 93 hatch dohc tranny. and if i have to buy one how much are they? cuz my buddy used it for his sr20 tranny so i have to get one for a dohc.

thanks in advanceClimb385

RBpowersilvia
Car: 1995 Nissan Silvia

nice

EchaKqulo
Car: 240sx SE Coupe 1993

Climb385 wrote:ok i got a few questions. ive read this whole post like five times. i just couldnt seem to find some info i was looking for. like about the drive shaft, if i can get the first section, by the trans, can i bolt it up to my auto rear seaction. also i heard the a dohc tranny has to have a dohc speed sensor? i have a 90 hatch sohc, swapping in a 93 hatch dohc tranny. and if i have to buy one how much are they? cuz my buddy used it for his sr20 tranny so i have to get one for a dohc.

thanks in advanceClimb385
About the drive shaft, you will have to get at least the first section of it. The auto and manual are different. and the trans cross member is different too.

About the speed sensor, i have been running my car about 3 years with the auto speed sensor on the manual trans without any problems so far.

JDS Performance

EchaKqulo wrote:
About the drive shaft, you will have to get at least the first section of it. The auto and manual are different. and the trans cross member is different too.

About the speed sensor, i have been running my car about 3 years with the auto speed sensor on the manual trans without any problems so far.
Thats weird the auto speed sensor will not fit into the hole on the 5 speed transmission? The sensor is too fat to fit in the hole. At least it was on my 95' ODBII

JDMskrilla
Car: 1997 240sx se

this may be a dumb question but will the s13 brake and clutch pedal work on my s14. also what about an s13 driveshaft, wil it fit an s14?

Climb385
Car: 90 240sx hatchback-SOLD
90 S13 HATCH-SOLD
93 S13 CONVERTIBLE
15 F250 POWERSTROKE
08 ZX10R

EchaKqulo wrote:

but is it from a sohc auto in a sohc manual? or dohc auto in a dohc stick? im going from a sohc auto tranny to a dohc stick tranny.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”