240sx automatic to manual transmission conversion s13 and s14

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
JDM Silvia
Car: 240sx

yeah those are very usufull info.

nyteryda_irv
Car: '96 S14

not sure if asked already, but im trying to mingle the s13 tranny into my s14. what sort of problems, if any, would i run into with that swap?

JDS Performance

nyteryda_irv wrote:not sure if asked already, but im trying to mingle the s13 tranny into my s14. what sort of problems, if any, would i run into with that swap?
You will need to use the s14 VSS (vechicle speed sensor)- if its a ODBII car then you will not have the crank angle sensor - as the s13 tranny does not have the hole on top the bell housing for it - car will still run and all - but it may throw a code and keep you from passing emissions test.

Thats about it really

nyteryda_irv
Car: '96 S14

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. Its the base model.

JDS Performance

nyteryda_irv wrote:Thanks man, I really appreciate it. Its the base model.
No problem man - base model doesnt matter in this case

I few people have had issuses with the auto TPS on a 5 speed swap - but I have never had any issues - but I assume the problem does exist.

The ones I have heard it from are in 97-98 Kouki models

Lopin18
Car: 240sx Hatch 89 KA24E

Might of interest....

How to remove the Flywheel bolts

zerothread/312477

nfp240
Car: 1993 nissan 240sx

good info

Locko
Car: Eagle Talon

in you dvd it shows how to change the tr
JDS Performance wrote:
No problem man - base model doesnt matter in this case

I few people have had issuses with the auto TPS on a 5 speed swap - but I have never had any issues - but I assume the problem does exist.

The ones I have heard it from are in 97-98 Kouki models
hey im thinking of buying your DVD but i would like to know if it would help me swapping my 95 zenki auto SE to a SR20DET 5 speed ? since im changing engine and tranny, does it include the info for this swap ?

JDS Performance

Locko wrote:in you dvd it shows how to change the trhey im thinking of buying your DVD but i would like to know if it would help me swapping my 95 zenki auto SE to a SR20DET 5 speed ? since im changing engine and tranny, does it include the info for this swap ?
this video is on the KA but it however still help you out greatly - as they are in many ways the same.

hammerzone
Car: 240SX

I'm new to the forum.. here's my question...I'm going to do swap from auto to manual. My car isa '92 model and the tranny I got is an '89. When buying parts, like clutch set, do I go by the year of the tranny or the current car model which is '92.Thanks

JDS Performance

hammerzone wrote:I'm new to the forum.. here's my question...I'm going to do swap from auto to manual. My car isa '92 model and the tranny I got is an '89. When buying parts, like clutch set, do I go by the year of the tranny or the current car model which is '92.Thanks
All DOHC KAs use the same clutch - so just make sure it is for a 91-98 Nissan 240sx with KA24DE engine

I think the SOHC KAs use the same too - but I am not totally sure on that so dont quote me!

hammerzone
Car: 240SX

Ok. Thanks

JDS Performance

Not a problem LMK if you need any more help!

BigJuiceSr20
Car: nissans, mazdas, soccer

Gentlemen,I basically followed the instructiions on the swap and did everything but I can't seem to get the bloody key out of the ignition. I read somewhere where you have to attach the shift interlock back in. Where is that and how do I do that. I'm stuck! Actually the key is stuck!! Please help.

JDS Performance

BigJuiceSr20 wrote:Gentlemen,I basically followed the instructiions on the swap and did everything but I can't seem to get the bloody key out of the ignition. I read somewhere where you have to attach the shift interlock back in. Where is that and how do I do that. I'm stuck! Actually the key is stuck!! Please help.
I have never heard that before?I pulled the shift lock cable - from the shifter to the ignition and did not install it back - and had "0" issues?

Sounds to me like you ignition messed up somehow?There is that little button you need to press in to remove your key - I bet somthing is messed up there.

redhb240SXS13
Car: 1992 240sx Coupe and 1995 240sx

Instead of making a new thread, I figured I'd just ask it here. Does any one know the bolt size, thread pitch, and length of the M/T bellhousing bolts. I searched here and google and came up with nothing.

JDS Performance

Modified by JDS Performance at 3:59 AM 3/24/2009

redhb240SXS13

Thanks JDS, very cool of you!

JDS Performance

redhb240SXS13 wrote:Thanks JDS, very cool of you!

redhb240SXS13

Just curious, where are those part numbers from?

JDS Performance

redhb240SXS13 wrote:Just curious, where are those part numbers from?
Nissan

and another quick tip - stay away from the bolt kits on ebay - they are crap!Trust me I know first hand!

redhb240SXS13

I was hoping they were nissan. I won't buy anything from Ebay, but thanks for the warning and the info.

GaMBiTx

KnoxVegasS13 wrote:I got mine for like 500 bucks.
Hey Where did you get yours for 500 bucks???That does not include the transmission right?How much was the total cost? How can I find a shop that knows what they're doing on 240sx in NYC area.

Thanks in advance.R

race4fox
Car: '91 RB powered 240

Ok, so Im considering about getting this auto 97 S14, and I have a manual S13 trans available. Can I use the auto S14 bell housing with the S13 trans and that will allow me to keep the crank angle sensor? If not, the (DOHC) S13 trans will work fine but itll throw a CAS code? And are OBD1 and OBD2 KA trannys the same other than the bell housing?

JDS Performance

race4fox wrote:Ok, so Im considering about getting this auto 97 S14, and I have a manual S13 trans available. Can I use the auto S14 bell housing with the S13 trans and that will allow me to keep the crank angle sensor? If not, the (DOHC) S13 trans will work fine but itll throw a CAS code? And are OBD1 and OBD2 KA trannys the same other than the bell housing?
Yes you can use the KA and SR gear box and rear of the tranny - but you will need the SR bellhousing for the SR and the KA bellhousing for the KA.

The ODBII S14 trannies have 2 holes (bolt hole and CAS hole) ontop the bellhousing for the crank angle sensor.

You can use the S13 and S14 ODBI or ODBII bellhousings on any DOHC KA - but on the ODBII S14 it will more than likely throw a code if you do not use the crank angle sensor. The ODBII S14 car will run without the CAS - but I doubt it will pass emissions with the check engine light on?

Best bet is find a good tranny or rebuild one and find a ODBII S14 bellhousing.

You also have the sensors to deal with as well.

race4fox

Ok, well Ill have a OBD2 S14 bell housing, but itll be off of an Auto trans, will that work if I use it with a manual KA gearbox? I dont think it will because it also needs the hole for the slave cyl. right?

If that wont work, can I just use a OBD1 trans/bell housing and wire around the crank angle sensor? Im assuming the crank angle sensor is just a resistor type sensor, if it is, than I can just use a variable rate resistor on the signal wire and adjust it until it no longer throws the code...

Kinda crazy, but it just might work haha.

JDS Performance

race4fox wrote:Ok, well Ill have a OBD2 S14 bell housing, but itll be off of an Auto trans, will that work if I use it with a manual KA gearbox? I dont think it will because it also needs the hole for the slave cyl. right?

If that wont work, can I just use a OBD1 trans/bell housing and wire around the crank angle sensor? Im assuming the crank angle sensor is just a resistor type sensor, if it is, than I can just use a variable rate resistor on the signal wire and adjust it until it no longer throws the code...

Kinda crazy, but it just might work haha.
No the auto bellhousing will not work.As for wiring around the CAS - I have cant say really I havent looked into it.

race4fox

JDS Performance wrote:No the auto bellhousing will not work.As for wiring around the CAS - I have cant say really I havent looked into it.
Thats cool, wouldnt it actually be more efficient and cause less CELs to show up if you find an OBD1 5sp ECU?For example, my combination Im thinking about running would be:OBD1 KA trans with an OBD1 5sp ECU in a OBD2 S14. But would that OBD1 ECU run the OBD2 motor OK? And it should be a plug and play ECU swap right? (no jumper harness)

Also, will a S13 clutch and brake pedal assembly work in a S14?

diggles240
Car: 1996 240sx SE
2005 Altima 2.5S

race4fox wrote:
Thats cool, wouldnt it actually be more efficient and cause less CELs to show up if you find an OBD1 5sp ECU?For example, my combination Im thinking about running would be:OBD1 KA trans with an OBD1 5sp ECU in a OBD2 S14. But would that OBD1 ECU run the OBD2 motor OK? And it should be a plug and play ECU swap right? (no jumper harness)

Also, will a S13 clutch and brake pedal assembly work in a S14?
pedals are interchangeable- just make sure you get a brake pedal with a cruise control sensor if your car currently has it and i have heard that you will also need to shim one of the bolts on the clutch pedal for the pedal to mount at the correct angle. as far as ECMs go, i am pretty sure you need to get a M/T ECM that matches your production year. however, josh can confirm this. also, check the pin numbers and harness layout between the ECMs you are thinking of swapping. this may provide your answer straight away.

kevin

JDS Performance

You could possably repin a ODBI ECU to work on a ODBII car - but I would think you would still get codes - I am not sure on this though just thinking logically.

Also IMO you are trying to do way to much work - if you want a ODBI car - sell yours and get a ODBI car - IMO its much easier - as you might go threw all this trouble and it will not work like you planned.

If you have a ODBII car and want to pass emissions - get your year ODBII ECU - plus the tranny bellhousing.

You can use the s13 pedal on a s14 - you may have to use a few washers to level it up on 1 side - I have done it before without the washers and you couldnt even tell though. Just check it when you put it in.

Agin I would try your best to get a s14 pedal assembly w/ sensors and connector w/ pigtail - if you dont get these you will have to straight wire them in.

Not to make a sale but you have so many questions that are answered in my DVD - I have no problem helping you out - but to be fair to my pervious buyers - please watch it and then you can ask me all the questions you like - I will help as much as i can.

Thanx!

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”