240sx automatic to manual transmission conversion s13 and s14

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
PRE_vert
Car: 1992 240SX Convertible
RB25DET w/ HX-35

A note on pulling the Automatic pilot bushing: i tried and tried and tried with 2 different pullers, no luck.couldnt get the puller to bite the end of the bushing, as there was less than an 1/8" gap.

SOLUTION: take a 3/8" drill bit, and drill into the bushing twice, directly across from each other, at an angle. just enough to give yourself something to grip with the puller. DO NOT DRILL ALL THE WAY THROUGH. came out first try once i did that, after struggling for over two hours.

Don't forget to clean out all the metal shavings... i used a blower nozzle on my compressor and then saturated a paper towel with wd-40 and twisted it and out a bunch of times, then used brake cleaner to remove any residue from the WD.

WhiteKnight
Car: 240sx

Doesn't the TPS take a different plug with different wiring when going to manual MT?

rsagen
Car: 1989 240SX Coupe 5sp SOLD
1989 240SX Hatch auto SOLD
1990 240SX Coupe auto WRECKED
1990 240SX Hatch auto
1990 Jetta Turbodiesel 5sp FEILD BAGGED
1997 Jimmy 4WD
1985 Chev Wrangler
1994 F150 4X4

WhiteKnight wrote:Doesn't the TPS take a different plug with different wiring when going to manual MT?

throttle position sensor? how do you figure? motor wiring should be all the same, as long as your going s13 to s13 or s14 to s14.

JDS Performance

WhiteKnight wrote:Doesn't the TPS take a different plug with different wiring when going to manual MT?
You will be keeping the auto engine and tranny harness - it is alot easier to do so rather than trying to wir ein the 5 speed harnesses.

Jonnie Fraz

Ok I saw that you did post that the S13 clutch pedal will work in the S14 chassis. There was mention of a "few washers" to make it line up. The stand offs on the back of the S14 pedal are 1.125" long. I have done several conversions on S13 pedals. A very simple way to do this is with two small lengths (1.125") of 3/8" pipe instead of a big stack of washers. You can simply sandwich the spacers in between the fire wall and the pedal. I choose to weld the spacers to the pedal and go over the spot welds on the pedal assembly. If you do a lot of clutch kicks the spot welds have a reputation for giving way, and then you get to limp your car home with no clutch.

JDS Performance

Jonnie Fraz wrote:Ok I saw that you did post that the S13 clutch pedal will work in the S14 chassis. There was mention of a "few washers" to make it line up. The stand offs on the back of the S14 pedal are 1.125" long. I have done several conversions on S13 pedals. A very simple way to do this is with two small lengths (1.125") of 3/8" pipe instead of a big stack of washers. You can simply sandwich the spacers in between the fire wall and the pedal. I choose to weld the spacers to the pedal and go over the spot welds on the pedal assembly. If you do a lot of clutch kicks the spot welds have a reputation for giving way, and then you get to limp your car home with no clutch.
There you go - Use your head and make something work! Good job man!

240driftguy
Car: 91 240 sx

JDS Performance wrote:For all you guys/girls wanting to know.The difference between auto and 5 speed flywheels bolts

No problem Reed!
im in the middle of this swap and was wondering if you really need the 5 spd bellhousing bolts? some writeups say you cannot resuse the auto ones, then some don't mention them, only the bolts on the the flywheel. there are also bolts that hold the clutch to the flywheel which are not mentioned in any writeup, what size are they/are the flywheel bolts dealer only?

CJams

Car won’t start right now.

I have 2 cars. So I pulled the engine and transmission from a ’90 manual hatch and put it in a ’90 auto hatch. Everything is connected eccept the transmission wires and it wont start.

I spliced together the wires on the top plug behind the engine compartment fuse box. From what I understand the car should now start, but doesn’t. I turn the key and it acts like the battery is dead (or the clutch isn't pushed in). I’ve read a few threads about the wiring, but none of them make complete sense because wire colors are different and pictures just don’t look like the car I’m working on.

Wires I have:

The manual transmission wire harness coming from the plugs on the transmission:
(Note: none of these are currently connected)
Yellow with blue
Green with white
Green with orange (or brown)
Green with blue
Black
The speed sensor is also connected and seems to have a plug that it connects directly to in the engine bay on a harness..

I also clipped the wire harness from the auto transmission and have both the bottom and middle plugs for the plug behind the fuse box. Do I even need these?

Should the Manual ECU be used?

Thanks guys, I’d like to get this lil drifter rollin.

rsagen
1990 240SX Hatch auto
1997 Jimmy 4WD
1985 Chev Wrangler
1994 F150 4X4

240driftguy wrote:
JDS Performance wrote:For all you guys/girls wanting to know.The difference between auto and 5 speed flywheels bolts

No problem Reed!
im in the middle of this swap and was wondering if you really need the 5 spd bellhousing bolts? some writeups say you cannot resuse the auto ones, then some don't mention them, only the bolts on the the flywheel. there are also bolts that hold the clutch to the flywheel which are not mentioned in any writeup, what size are they/are the flywheel bolts dealer only?

use the 5sp bolts, auto dont work i tryed. not sure about the other ones you mentioned.

rsagen
1990 240SX Hatch auto
1997 Jimmy 4WD
1985 Chev Wrangler
1994 F150 4X4

CJams wrote:Car won’t start right now.

I have 2 cars. So I pulled the engine and transmission from a ’90 manual hatch and put it in a ’90 auto hatch. Everything is connected eccept the transmission wires and it wont start.

I spliced together the wires on the top plug behind the engine compartment fuse box. From what I understand the car should now start, but doesn’t. I turn the key and it acts like the battery is dead (or the clutch isn't pushed in). I’ve read a few threads about the wiring, but none of them make complete sense because wire colors are different and pictures just don’t look like the car I’m working on.

Wires I have:

The manual transmission wire harness coming from the plugs on the transmission:
(Note: none of these are currently connected)
Yellow with blue
Green with white
Green with orange (or brown)
Green with blue
Black
The speed sensor is also connected and seems to have a plug that it connects directly to in the engine bay on a harness..

I also clipped the wire harness from the auto transmission and have both the bottom and middle plugs for the plug behind the fuse box. Do I even need these?

Should the Manual ECU be used?

Thanks guys, I’d like to get this lil drifter rollin.
check the voltage on the starter, its really easy to forget to plug in the starter with everything else going on.

when i did my swap only plug i attached was the speed sensor. everything included cruise worked.

E Dogg
Car: 1997 M3 sedan
1988 TII RX-7 10th AE
1990 Ford Bronco XLT

another one that just crossed my mind today...

Inst the counterweight/balancer for the MT flywheel and AT flex plate different? It looks like most people don't swap this, but i'm wondering if maybe it would make the engine run smoother...

Sams13

I am doing ca18det engine swap with 5spd tranny into a automatic s13. My question is what do I do with the lower harness? Will the Ca18 harness plug right into the fuse box plugs or do I have to reuse the auto plugs and splice them into the ca18 lower harness?

And hijacker, I tried sending you a message. I am a noob when it comes to computers. I have to download aim and make an account correct?

Sams13

anyone? :poke:

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

The ca lower harness is the same as dealing with a ka or sr lower harness. None are a direct plug in to a car that started life as an auto. You will need to splice the wires for your reverse lights like in my write up, but tge speed sensor plug will plug straight in. You just need to seperate the speed sensor wires out of tge lower harness

240roadz
Car: 1994 240sx convertible se

HI im new to this forum an i was wondering if some would give me some advice why my car is acting up, i have a 240sx auto, from time to time its wont shift into second gear. I had the filter fluid and pan gasket changed and the proble. Still continues. Can any one tell me why? Thanks

rsagen
1990 240SX Hatch auto
1997 Jimmy 4WD
1985 Chev Wrangler
1994 F150 4X4

240roadz wrote:HI im new to this forum an i was wondering if some would give me some advice why my car is acting up, i have a 240sx auto, from time to time its wont shift into second gear. I had the filter fluid and pan gasket changed and the proble. Still continues. Can any one tell me why? Thanks
could be any number of things, create a new thread and you should get more replies.

-anyways it stays in 1st and wont shift up? or stays in 3rd? or tries to skip 2nd?

i used to do lots of brake stands with my auto and when the burnout would come to an end it would stay in 3rd all the time. only way i found to reset it was to shut of the car, remove the battery cable for a bit, then hook it back up and fire the car up.

240roadz
Car: 1994 240sx convertible se

rsagen wrote:
240roadz wrote:HI im new to this forum an i was wondering if some would give me some advice why my car is acting up, i have a 240sx auto, from time to time its wont shift into second gear. I had the filter fluid and pan gasket changed and the proble. Still continues. Can any one tell me why? Thanks
could be any number of things, create a new thread and you should get more replies.

-anyways it stays in 1st and wont shift up? or stays in 3rd? or tries to skip 2nd?

i used to do lots of brake stands with my auto and when the burnout would come to an end it would stay in 3rd all the time. only way i found to reset it was to shut of the car, remove the battery cable for a bit, then hook it back up and fire the car up.
it hesitates from 1st to 2nd gear. Its funny cause what you described is exactly what i have been doing for the past two months , minus removing the battery cable. When i begin driving, now this happens on some occassions not all the time, in 1st gear i will reach around 4000 rpms at a slow start and still in first. Now i can continue to climb in rpms and no gear change still. Thanks for the response. Please help!! :confused:

driftneil
Car: A pile of cars.

Any one know if the auto and 5 speed splines on the input shafts are differnt from auto to manual driveshafts? Im using a one piece s14 shaft on a s14 car with a s13 sr, and the shaft wont fit into the trans all the way?? But it fits into my ka 5 speed....

bassfaceesp
Car: 89s13

can anyone guide me to a direct thorough step by step guide to complete auto to manual conversion?
i have a few 240 owning friends to help but the more i know the more i can get done

thanks to anyone who can help
ben

driftneil
Car: A pile of cars.

bassfaceesp wrote:can anyone guide me to a direct thorough step by step guide to complete auto to manual conversion?
i have a few 240 owning friends to help but the more i know the more i can get done

ben
Are you serious bro....Read the first page.

rsagen
1990 240SX Hatch auto
1997 Jimmy 4WD
1985 Chev Wrangler
1994 F150 4X4

driftneil wrote:Any one know if the auto and 5 speed splines on the input shafts are differnt from auto to manual driveshafts? Im using a one piece s14 shaft on a s14 car with a s13 sr, and the shaft wont fit into the trans all the way?? But it fits into my ka 5 speed....
yes the splines are differnet. if i could remember my password for photo bucket id post some pics. anyway the teeth are different sizes and the diameter is different as well. I believe the 5sp is slightly smaller..

rsagen
1990 240SX Hatch auto
1997 Jimmy 4WD
1985 Chev Wrangler
1994 F150 4X4

240roadz wrote: it hesitates from 1st to 2nd gear. Its funny cause what you described is exactly what i have been doing for the past two months , minus removing the battery cable. When i begin driving, now this happens on some occassions not all the time, in 1st gear i will reach around 4000 rpms at a slow start and still in first. Now i can continue to climb in rpms and no gear change still. Thanks for the response. Please help!! :confused:
does it seem like it is slipping at all? If you are say doing 2,000 rpm in first and if you floor it for a second does it take a while for the speedo to catch up? how about if you try to manually shift? put it in 1st, bring your speed up, then put it in 2nd gear with the shifter, if it successfully goes into second gear, try third the same way (clicking off the OD button before you slide it into 3rd gear).

If you can get it to shift this way it is something like a sensor or the tranny computer. If you not you got bigger problems... plugged ATF filter, burnt tranny, no fluid... if its been doing this for a while then you most likely got a burnt tranny now.

can you get it to shift normal once the tranny/car warms up to normal temp?

is there any kind of hallowing sound coming from the car in any gear?

pull out the tranny level dipstick with the engine off. is there little tiny shavings in the fluid? does the dipstick itself look like it went through a fire?
pull out the dipstick with the engine warm at normal temp idling in neutral with the hand brake on, whats the fluid level at? smell it, does it smell burnt? does it look red?

rsagen
1990 240SX Hatch auto
1997 Jimmy 4WD
1985 Chev Wrangler
1994 F150 4X4

bassfaceesp wrote:can anyone guide me to a direct thorough step by step guide to complete auto to manual conversion?

ben
180fan wrote:s13 from our very own mod tenkawa_akito

zerothread?id=77784

S14 from nighkid86

zerothread/181139

Now this is stickied for both s13 and s14 owners. You post a question about this, I'm going to lock it down. Learn to use the search function or look at the top of the page maybe?

bassfaceesp
Car: 89s13

Hi I'm having the hardest time comin across parts for the auto to man swap my question is this can you use a driveshaft or the yoke of driveshaft from a 5speed pick up that's from around same year?? Don't some of the nissan trucks have ka24 in them...please let me know thank you

walperstyle
Car: s13 crap

bassfaceesp wrote:Hi I'm having the hardest time comin across parts for the auto to man swap my question is this can you use a driveshaft or the yoke of driveshaft from a 5speed pick up that's from around same year?? Don't some of the nissan trucks have ka24 in them...please let me know thank you
I know this is a late reply to his question from 2011, but it will help others.

answer: you will need a 5 speed driveshaft that matches your rear diff.
aka, if you have ABS or an ABS pumpkin, you will have a slightly longer diff, thus forcing the driveshaft to be shorter.

(here is the lengths, S13 and s14 driveshaft differences)
S13-1st section (no difference for ABS/non-ABS):
M/T: 395.0mm (15.55")
A/T: 432.0mm (17.01")

S13 2nd section (no difference for MT/AT)
non-ABS: 605.0mm (23.82")
ABS: 590.0mm (23.23")

S14-A/T 1st section = 421.0mm (16.57")
M/T 1st section = 441.0mm (17.37")

S14-ABS Rear Section = 636.0mm (25.04")
non-ABS Rear Section = 650.0mm (25.59")

s13silvia_89
Car: 1989 s13 coupe

Now I've gone deep into both the s13 conversion from the OP as well as a detailed post of a s14. I've done everything in order as the OP suggested, and yet my 5 speed trans is giving me the hardest time going on. I've gotten it as close as about 1.5" away from the block. I've wiggled, tried to slam it (which is hard b/c I'm under the car and my jackstands are not very tall), and I've even tried to put my foot on the bell housing and wiggle the back of the trans to try and slide it on, all of which were to no avail. I must have missed something, or is the trans just that dang hard to slide all the way on? Any suggestions on how to close the gap would be greatly appreciated. <I hope all this follows the rules here, as it is my first post.

-Aaron

s13silvia_89
Car: 1989 s13 coupe

Also, never having done this on a 240 before, do I have to seat the trans by tightening the bolts to pull the trans flush to the block? Or is it supposed to slide all the way against it with ease?

S14Magician
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

I would like a little conformation if possible. I've read in three seperate place that this will work. I have a 95 obd1 240 non-abs. If I pull trans, driveline, brake and clutch pedal, mc, clutch hard line and ecu from an s13 dohc. Will all of this work on my car? Also my car is 4/94 production date ie a lot of other small parts I've learned are interchangable. Please help I don't want to get in the middle of this and find out I'm missing or have parts that won't work, I can't affoord to have my car down any longer than necessary. Thanks guys.

Pento240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE, 1981 Datsun 210 Deluxe, 1981 Datsun 810 Maxima Deluxe and 1999 Infiniti Q45t.

Hello all. Here a question, witch sensors do I use Of a 1990 S13 tranny and how do I wire them on a S14 OBD1. I'm stuck in this, please help. Oh does anyone know the part number for the transmission speed sensor.

IceMochaBowl
Car: 95 s14 ka24de manual

A note on pulling the Automatic pilot bushing: i tried and tried and tried with 2 different pullers, no luck.couldnt get the puller to bite the end of the bushing, as there was less than an 1/8" gap.

SOLUTION: take a 3/8" drill bit, and drill into the bushing twice, directly across from each other, at an angle. just enough to give yourself something to grip with the puller. DO NOT DRILL ALL THE WAY THROUGH. came out first try once i did that, after struggling for over two hours.

Don't forget to clean out all the metal shavings... i used a blower nozzle on my compressor and then saturated a paper towel with wd-40 and twisted it and out a bunch of times, then used brake cleaner to remove any residue from the WD.
I had trouble getting it out as well. BUT i found a puller at harbor freight that solved the troubles. I just put it in and tightened the puller just passed the lip of the auto pilot bushing. Then i slid the puller out slowly until i could feel it on in the crack slightly. then just tightened the puller as much as possible until. It then had enough grip to pull it out.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”