2017 Maxima A/C not working

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Datzxjr
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT

I have a 2017 Maxima and the A/C isn't blowing cold. When I push the A/C button I can not hear the clutch engaging and also I don't hear the engine fan turning on. I looked through the manual and can't find the A/C relay OR location. Can someone help me locate the A/C relay (or fuse) and possible the fan relay? Correct me if I'm wrong, the A/C won't work if the engine fan isn't working correct??

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The A/C Relay is buried inside the IPDM. You have it backwards, the A/C will work without the fan provided the car is moving to get some airflow, but the IPDM won't turn the fan on unless the ECM orders the compressor turned on. So the fact that neither one works means the problem isn't the A/C relay. Chances are you either have low refrigerant or a faulty pressure sensor, in both instances the ECM will kill the compressor and the fan will remain off.

Datzxjr
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT

Thanks VStar650CL, I was checking it out in the driveway but normally the fan should start up. I checked the refrigerant with one of the cans with the gauge and it was showing high. (Assuming again) I believe that would drop if the compressor started. I will hunt for the pressure sensor and see if I get any ohm readings..

Where can I find the IPDM on a 2017 Maxima?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Please don't. If you ohm the sensor you're likely to blow it up, it's a Hall type and not a PBR. It has to be checked by output voltage, not resistance. Those particular sensors usually flatline at 0V when they die, so anything above 0V indicates low refrigerant and not a bad sensor. The '16's and '17's had virtually identical electrical systems, so I'd suggest you pull up the appropriate HAC, VTL, and PG sections here in Nico and learn something about your system before you explode it.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”