2016 Nissan Versa Suspension

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Nebuchadnezzar
Car: 2016 Nissan Versa Sedan

My wife and I bought a used 2016 Nissan Versa Sedan because it was cheap. During the test drive I noticed that it moves around a lot on the highway.

I'm wondering if getting an after market suspension and installing it would tighten it up some and stop that movement while on the highway?

Another question, this car has really crappy power when under 3500 to 4000 RPM, is there a performance chip that will fix that?

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hi, welcome to Nico Club and cool username!

The handling on the Versa leaves a bit to be desired. It's just a marshmallow kind of car. A cozy commuter. There's been talk of upgrades, but not much action. Here's a thread with a disappointed Versa owner, not sure if he ever added power or tightened up the ride or not.
topic616631.html?hilit=sway

Our Versa is staying stock, so I don't have any upgrade experience to share. My wife and I do like the car quite a bit though. It's great at being a little commuter and toting stuff around. I've torn into some backroads with it, even passed a few people and got the tires squealing. Don't tell my wife! It was fun and people were surprised, but it's not a sporty car at all.

Nebuchadnezzar
Car: 2016 Nissan Versa Sedan

I mostly need the power at lower RPMs simply because I'm turning onto roads that are 55mph and only have about 100 feet of view, lol. It's Indiana so you know it's bad and I live in rural/suburban Indiana. We get the bad roads of rural Indiana along with the bad drivers of Indiana plus the population of suburban Cincinnati...but in Indiana, lol.

I thought I had read that there is a chip that will fix the low RPM power but now I can't find it.

As for the suspension, I may have to just do trial and error with coil overs, after market stuff and mod it up.

Thank you for the information.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

The days of performance chips are pretty much gone now, hardly anything can have any chip changed as they are heavily soldered in and part of the computer not intended to be changed at all any more. Now one simply mods the software already in place to get changes and it requires someone who can write it to best effect. Look up online what that type of work is, commonly referred to as a 'tune'.

gmansyz
Car: 2016, Nissan Versa Note

I did some. Yes, that is I and am still here and still disappointed in it.
I take a turn and straighten out and the car is still leaning. I have about 4800 miles on it now. Started wallowing after 200 miles and I still get car sick from it. I am still stuck with it but have the HPS air intake kit on it and the Bully Dog tuner. I think the intake kit likes the summer formulation of fuel. And with the Bully Dog tuner, it prefers the regular fuel tune with regular. I tried the Premium with 93 octane fuel and goes the same. Do you want to play with the tuner? Contact me. I liked the reduction in the traction control. It pulls out differently depending on if the engine is warmed up or not. The electronics really hold the engine back. I found a place called Uprev that claims to be able to reprogram the factory computer with using a dyno, but you are looking at the minimum of a $1,000.
As for the wallowing, there are three things to do. Lower the car, stiffer springs and more accurate damping. If you can get away with a lower car where you are at, it helps. but better solutions are the stiffer coil overs and the better, adjustable damping. While I am not able to afford them yet, I am looking at Kontrol Pro Coilover System from KSport. FR Sport has a good price on them but $900 is still a big price to swallow on a cheap car.
In the end, is it really worth it???
I was also looking at cat back exhausts. But then perhaps a small diameter, long tube header would help. With high flo cats too.
If I get the chance, I will unload the car or maybe I get lucky and a bad accident and it is totaled.
G

gmansyz

I spent the $1300 on BC Racing coilovers and it fixed all right up. No more wandering or rolling and making me sick. I still think it needs a larger, better designed front sway bar though.
G

gmansyz

I am also Going to sell the HPS Performance cold air intake with the BullyDog Tuner.
And will sell the BC Racing coilovers. Then sell the car at the end of the year. It has 16,000 miles. Please look for these postings if you are interested.
Thanks
G

EconoDeluxe1.6s

I'm sure it's been mentioned elsewhere, but lots of the poor riding and handling characteristics can be from the tires. I'd be leery of putting stiffer struts, shocks and springs on my 2015 1.6s simply because the control arms, trailing arms, etc are so flimsy, there's no telling what the next weakest link in the system is.

gmansyz

It is already done on my car and works exceptionally well.
Just want to sell them separately.
G

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

That does not sound like a happy camper to me.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”