2016 Leaf head unit in older Nissan leaf 2015 and below

The web's first forum dedicated to Nissan's groundbreaking electric car, the Nissan Leaf.
alberto555552
Car: 2013 Infiniti G37xS Coupe

Starting 2016, Nissan changed the navigation head unit software on the Nissan leaf to be more in line with what's offered in the Murano and Maxima, the software that's running on the navigation unit is now identical to those. What I'm asking is, considering the hardware appears the be the same, e.g. form factor, display (except it now supports multi touch), it's in the exact same location and it appears the same, it even opens out like the previous leaf to he updated through SD card, if you are unfamiliar with how it looks now this YouTube video shows the new software look:
https://youtu.be/87DZ5qJdL7k

Can this software be updated to the current navigation system to make it look like the newer model, or my second question is can I purchase the entire 2016 navigation system hardware and plug n play into my 2013 leaf SL and be good to go, has anyone tried this? Or does anyone know it it would work?
I saw on forum someone attempted to swap navigation head but they bought a S Trim radio and attempted to plug it into a leaf SL, and that went wrong for obvious reasons.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

That's a very complicated question. The navigation head unit is listed as Controller Assy-IT Master. For 2016 there's about five different versions available that are based mostly on the trim level of the vehicle. If you're looking to purchase one you can expect to pay between $2,600 and $3,300. You'll also need the latest memory card for the navigation system to work, and that will set you back about $110.

I don't have info on whether the newer system is backwards compatible with older vehicles, but given the costs listed above I'm not sure if it's worth pursuing.

Return to “Leaf Forum”