2015 Versa Note VVT replacement

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
ElvisPresley
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa

Code says I need a new VVT solenoid but I can't find any instructions on how to replace it. There is a youtube video showing how to do it on 2007-12. Would it be the same or similar?

ElvisPresley

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

ElvisPresley wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:49 am
Code says I need a new VVT solenoid but I can't find any instructions on how to replace it. There is a youtube video showing how to do it on 2007-12. Would it be the same or similar?
I assume you're getting a P0011 or P0014. Your car has a different engine from the gen1 Versa, those had MR18's and your ride has an HR16. Your ride also has two different VVT's, an IVT for the intake cam and an EVT for the exhaust cam. P0011 is for the iVT, P0014 is for the EVT. On the HR16 both solenoids go directly into the cylinder head, the IVT in front and the EVT in back. The '15 and '16 are pretty much identical, so You can see an exploded view on page EM-60 here:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... e%2FEM.pdf
The IVT isn't difficult to get at, it peeks out from under the plenum on the passenger side. The EVT is more of a PITA because it's under the resonator box and behind the engine nose mount, so there isn't much room. Both are held in by a single 6mm screw and an o-ring (I can't recall if the screw heads are 8mm or 10mm, but it's one of those). If you need diagnostic info for the DTC's, it's here starting on EC-167:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... e%2FEC.pdf

ElvisPresley

Thanks VStar650CL!
It's a P0011 code. Is replacing the INT the best way to proceed?
Ben

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome. How's your maintenance? The IVT is a hydraulic control, and as often as not the problems with them are from clogged or obstructed oil passages or crappy oil, not bad IVT's. The intake cam sensor can cause it too, if it's working badly but not flatlined (Nissan ECM's in general aren't very good at identifying sensors that work but are lying). The IVT itself is easy to check, it should ohm around 7~8 ohms and you should hear the shuttle click when you put 12V across the terminals. If that's healthy, the best way to sort it out is a scanner like NDS-III that can give you the cam angle and IVT command angle side-by-side. If the sensor is causing the issue you'll usually see jumpy behavior in the cam angle, which the ECM thinks is actually the cam jumping around. If the cam angle is smooth but the cam doesn't follow the command angle very closely, then it's a hydraulic issue.

ElvisPresley

Thanks again. I can pull it out, inspect it, and test it. I can't invest in the scanner right now. I just have to decide if I should get the part in advance. Do you think the Dorman part is ok, or should I go with OEM?
The car is my daughter's. I think she changes the oil often enough and I make sure she goes with synthetic.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Aftermarket is fine for VVT's (not for cam sensors, though). NDS-III and an ELM327 adaptor will cost you under $25, and then if your phone is 'Droid you can load up CVTz50 for the tranny too (free). Welcome to dataspace. ;)

ElvisPresley

I replaced the VVT solenoid (IVT on the front) cleared the code, but it came back. (P0011 code) What should I try next? I can't find anything about the intake cam position sensor.
It's my daughter's car and she has very little time to leave it with me. Is there harm in continuing to drive with the code?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Does she get the oil changed enough? The most common cause of P0011's that won't go away is occluded or blocked oil passages in the timing cover. You can try a crankcase flush if she's been bad about changes. If oil problems don't seem likely, the cam sensors are both right at the driver's end of the valve cover, the IVT is in front and EVT in back. Very simple to change, but don't use an aftermarket sensor. I can't tell you how much needless hair I've seen pulled out over the years because of aftermarket cam and crank sensors. Save the grief and pay the extra for OE.

ElvisPresley

Thanks, VStar! I think she changes the oil often enough and she uses synthetic. Any chance you have a picture of those sensors? She leaves for college in a few days. What will happen if I don't get a chance to fix it? The car seems to be running fine (except for an occasional transmission shudder when accelerating from stop : (

ElvisPresley

Or part numbers?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If the oil is healthy then driving it with a P0011 should be harmless. It will be slightly down on power because the ECM will ignore the cam and not advance it. There were a couple of supersessions on the part number for the sensor, you can use 23731-ED02A, -ED02C, or -ED03A. The latter is the latest p/n. The IVT and EVT sensors are identical.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”