2015 Altima 2.5L O/D off question

General discussion area for the L33-chassis Altima.
ticotexas
Car: ???

My understanding is the CVT O/D off button on the shifter would change to higher rpm's and more power. But I'm not sure it is working right on this car. It feels more like a car stuck in first gear. The rpm's never seem to reduce at higher speed. They can reach 5k to 6k and never seem to "shift". I had sometimes used it when going up a steep hill more slowly, but then afterward I smell a burning odor. The car seems to drive normally with O/D on. I took it to a dealer a while back regarding the odor and they just said there were no error codes and the transmission is operating normally. But trying it again on a recent hilly trip caused the same odor. So that prompted me to search out these forums. Any thoughts?

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Its hard to diagnose this over the internet. I have some experience with your generation of Alti ( I had a much loved 14).
I seem to remember leaving it in sport mode as long as I was in town. Seemed to work fine.
My suggestion to you is to"test drive" at a dealer a 13-15 Alti and see if it behaves the same..

If not I'd have a dealer diagnose it.

PS: Welcome to the Nico forums!! :yesnod
Sorry it too a while for u to get a response.... :frown:

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

The higher rpm is simply burning the oil that has leaked out of engine in minute amounts. Maybe check the valve cover for leaks. Normal engine at slower speeds burns off some oil but not all, the higher speeds do the rest.

The 5 to 6K rpm may well be normal, since all cars now are pretty much expected to stay in OD as the normal driving mode they have lowered the gear before that to rev higher than they used to. My Versa with NO CVT does the same thing when you kill OD to drop back into a true 3rd gear, it is a much lower gear than oldschool ATX used to have.

rabidus
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue
2012 Nissan Quest

The CVT doesn't have any gears, it has a transmission like a snowmobile or moped, two pulleys and a metal belt.

The CVT has a high volume oil pump that creates a lot of pressure. That much pressure on worn axle seals at 5-6000 rpm, small amounts of fluid may excape. It doesn't mean your seals are bad, just worn a little. After running at high rpm, I smell fluid at times. My fluid level is fine, I changed the CVT fluid about 2500 miles ago and will change it regularly at about 30,000 miles.

I have a 2011 Rogue with 135,000 miles on it and drive with O/D off quite a bit. Occasionally I drive in L gear on twistie back roads. I've run L from 0-90 mph no problem, it would have gone faster.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Yes, yes the CVT has no gears, except that it DOES. Virtual gears formed by the two pulleys. There is still an OD speed at slower rpm just like standard ATX and the switching of the button to off will still spin the engine up higher.

The oil pump works at up to 800 psi but the axle seals are not affected by that, they are still lubed by splash, not direct pressure.

rabidus
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue
2012 Nissan Quest

amc49 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:49 am
Yes, yes the CVT has no gears, except that it DOES. Virtual gears formed by the two pulleys.
The pulleys create ratios not gears. So a CVT DOES NOT have gears, virtual or otherwise.

They program CVTs in some cars to mimic auto transmissions with gears which is a complete waste of CVT technology.

I believe my smell and tiny leak is coming from the rear transmission seal.

grampp1
Car: 2014 Nissan 2.5L Altima SV

Per the Owners Manual: "Use the Overdrive off mode when you need improved engine braking". So, a higher RPM would be normal. The manual does not state any other overall purpose for O/D Off. And, even that is just sort of thrown in with an outline of the indicator lights, etc. Personally, the only times I have used the O/D Off mode have been when coasting into a reduced speed zone to lower speed (engine braking) without having to utilize the brakes.
Altima OD.JPG
Altima OD.JPG (31.46 KiB) Viewed 1652 times

Return to “5th Generation Altima Sedan (2013-2018)”