2014+ Rogue Transmission Cooler install - show and tell

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Now I see what you're talking about. If it presses flat with hand pressure then it should be fine when it's torqued down, I wouldn't sweat it. You're basically just compressing the seal.

SHAYE13
Car: '13 Nissan Rogue
T32 Nissan Rogue OMG LOL

Usually i dont mess with the cvt and servicing it what so ever, been five year regular 30k kms trans service done at dealer but lately i got a jetski and she is getting up to 90C .

Did anyone figure out of the two hoses that goes to the botton of the radiator from the trans beehive cooler which one is the output and which one is the return.

I found a Hayden oil cooler in the shop but need to find the right flow as its a bypass cooler which will only allow the cooler to fully open and allow oil to pass thru all the fins past 170F

And what are the two other lines that goes up in the engine?

Also what kind of distick are you using to check the fluid level??

Image https://imgur.com/yuMsALy

Image https://imgur.com/5s1dK19

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The outlet on 4-ports is generally the upward-pointing fitting looking at it installed. The larger ports are for coolant and direction doesn't matter, they can go either way.

phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

Just installed a Hayden 677 on my 2013 Rogue AWD. Much lower temp per CVTz50. Should have done it years ago.

Cooler installed on center crossbar. 2 of the holes on the cooler mounting flange lined up perfect with existing holes on crossbar. Very solid, but I used one mounting zip tie through a piece of a radiator hose I cut to add "visual stability". Made me feel better. ;) Lower hose not attached yet. The only potential issue could be that the cooler does not sit directly in front of the condenser, so it would not get full airflow when the A/C primary fan is on. Might be an issue in stop and go traffic. Hayden sells a small 10" aux fan that could solve this. We'll see.
https://imgur.com/omI17Le

Side view showing mounting configuration and relocation of vehicle ambient temp sensor.
https://imgur.com/CMm6TMG

Hoses passed through gap next to radiator. Wrapped in another piece of radiator hose to prevent abrasion.
https://imgur.com/mWJS9Lk

View of new 4 port cooler adapter. There is a small filter underneath this that should be changed if you remove this adapter. The best way to access this is to remove the drivers side wheel and pull back the fender liner. It's impossible (for me, anyway) to get at that back bolt from the top. If you buy an aftermarket adapter (I bought mine on Amazon), try to find a quality unit with little retaining nubs on the O-ring. Very handy, as the nubs hold the O-ring in the groove when mounting the adapter on a horizontal. Otherwise you could crush or cut the o-ring when tightening. Do not over-torque these mounting bolts, and tighten on a diagonal.
https://imgur.com/w1hubpA

View from top.
https://imgur.com/44Xbf29

Hope this helps someone...

Paul
Last edited by phmichel on Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

phmichel wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:20 pm
Just installed a Hayden 677 on my 2013 Rogue AWD. Much lower temp per CVTz50. Should have done it years ago.
Very neat installation, nice work!

phmichel
2017 Nissan Quest SV

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:36 pm
phmichel wrote:
Very neat installation, nice work!
thanks Vstar. Can you see the pictures?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

phmichel wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:40 pm
thanks Vstar. Can you see the pictures?
You're most welcome. Yep, but they don't display in the post. You have to right-click them and open in a separate tab.

88quad
Car: 2103 Nissan Rogue

When the 4 port cooler is installed, the smaller ports are at roughly 9 o'clock and 11 o'clock. Which one of these is the outlet, and which is the return?

phmichel
2017 Nissan Quest SV

88quad wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:06 pm
When the 4 port cooler is installed, the smaller ports are at roughly 9 o'clock and 11 o'clock. Which one of these is the outlet, and which is the return?
Once the 4 port beehive is installed, the upper port is the send and the lower port is the return.

phmichel
2017 Nissan Quest SV

phmichel wrote:

Cooler installed on center crossbar. 2 of the holes on the cooler mounting flange lined up perfect with existing holes on crossbar. Very solid, but I used one mounting zip tie through a piece of a radiator hose I cut to add "visual stability". Made me feel better. ;) Lower hose not attached yet. The only potential issue could be that the cooler does not sit directly in front of the condenser, so it would not get full airflow when the A/C primary fan is on. Might be an issue in stop and go traffic. Hayden sells a small 10" aux fan that could solve this. We'll see.
https://imgur.com/omI17Le

Side view showing mounting configuration and relocation of vehicle ambient temp sensor.
https://imgur.com/CMm6TMG

Hoses passed through gap next to radiator. Wrapped in another piece of radiator hose to prevent abrasion.
https://imgur.com/mWJS9Lk

View of new 4 port cooler adapter. There is a small filter underneath this that should be changed if you remove this adapter. The best way to access this is to remove the drivers side wheel and pull back the fender liner. It's impossible (for me, anyway) to get at that back bolt from the top. If you buy an aftermarket adapter (I bought mine on Amazon), try to find a quality unit with little retaining nubs on the O-ring. Very handy, as the nubs hold the O-ring in the groove when mounting the adapter on a horizontal. Otherwise you could crush or cut the o-ring when tightening. Do not over-torque these mounting bolts, and tighten on a diagonal.
https://imgur.com/w1hubpA

View from top.
https://imgur.com/44Xbf29

Hope this helps someone...

Paul
UPDATE - it was the Hayden 678 I installed, not the 677. CVT temps have reduced up to 30 degrees compared to before the installation of the cooler. The CVT now climbs hills at 180 degrees in 90 degree heat (instead of 200-210), and runs all day at 160-180. Plus it actually cools down now on downhills...

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

FYI, in case y'all in the Rogue crowd didn't catch it, I found a gauge bridge that allows installation of an aftermarket trans temp gauge by tapping the signal between the Valve Body and TCM. It's installed on the wife's Altie, but the same principle will work on any CVT Nissan, you'll just be tapping a different wire at the TCM connector.

topic629608.html

TeamOK
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue Select AWD

Well it's been several months since I essentially installed a towing package on this vehicle . I have driven it all day long , in the heat of the summer, and finally on a long day trip and it's all working just fine ! No fading out or loss of power from the transmission like had happened last year . Thanks for all your help @Vstar650CL ! I have one more question to ask . I am wanting to install a transmission temperature gauge . Is there a place on the engine to install a sensor or do you have to cut a line and install a T-fitting going to an after market sensor ? What are your thoughts on this ?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome! Nope, you can do it the same way I did, tapping the existing sensor wire to the TCM and using a gauge bridge to translate the voltage. You can also install the sensor that comes with your gauge into the beehive outlet line, but you won't get as accurate a representation of internal temp because the fluid will have passed through the beehive. Tapping the TCM's sensor line lets you look at the same dataset as the TCM. If you want to use a bridge, post or PM me your VIN and I'll pull up the diagrams for your tranny to identify the right wire.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Here's your wiring info. The connector pinouts are "harness side", so you're looking at the side where the wires enter the connector shell. Your ride may have easier access to the CVT connector than my wife's Altie, and that will save disassembling the TCM connector if you can reach it easily. So I'm posting pinouts for both connectors, you can pick the one you like. The wire you're looking for is SB (Sky Blue):

14 Rogue Select CVT Temp Circuit.png
14 Rogue Select TCM Conn.png
14 Rogue Select CVT Conn.png

88quad
Car: 2103 Nissan Rogue

In November I finally made the time to install a Hayden 678 trans cooler on my 2013 Rogue. Thanks to Vstar and Phmichel for advice and photos. I think I'm of about average ability, and I didn't find this job too daunting. Possibly the hardest parts were getting the hoses off the original beehive cooler, and trying to torque the bolts when installing the new cooler. If my memory is correct, the bottom two bolts were easier to work with when it came to torquing them. The bottom bolts are easy to get to when the fender liner is removed. No leakage so far, so maybe I'm close enogh on the torque. I used a little gasket sealer to hold the new beehive's o-ring in place as I installed it. Another poster had trouble getting his new filter to fit flush with ihe surrounding metal base. I had the same problem, and found that the o-ring from the bottom of the old filter did not come out when I removed the filter. I was unable to get ahold of it to remove it so I pulled the o-ring off the new filter before installing. This worked well and the filter sat flush. I've changed the trans fluid twice since November. The first time I drained it I got about 5.5 quarts, so possibly it was overfilled a bit as others with 2WD models seem to report getting a bit less than that. I've used Castrol's CVT fluid and so far it seems to be doing the job well. Is there an easy and reliable way to measure the fluid temp? I'd really like to know how hot the fluid gets next summer

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

88quad wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:13 pm
Is there an easy and reliable way to measure the fluid temp? I'd really like to know how hot the fluid gets next summer
CVTz50 on your phone and an ELM327 adaptor on your DLC port.

Old man
Car: 2015 Rogue SV

I have a 2015 Rogue SV with the CVT. Is it possible to display the transmission temperature thru a menu on the dash?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Old man wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:35 pm
I have a 2015 Rogue SV with the CVT. Is it possible to display the transmission temperature thru a menu on the dash?
Not on the gen2 Rogue. Most scanners won't read it either. If you have a non-Apple smartphone, the best-cheapest method is to download the CVTz50 app and get an ELM327 bluetooth adaptor for your diag port. CVTz50 is picky about the adaptor you use, but @KoiMaxx recently found one called the VeePeak VP11 that works well with full functions for around $15. I just got one off eBay and I can verify it works flawlessly. If you have Apple, there are other folks here who can tell you which apps and adaptors work. I won't comment since I don't own one.

torrc
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue S AWD

I've bought the 4 post beehive and the transmission oil cooler kit. What filter do I purchase? Anyone with a part number? the 4-port beehive I bought was CVT Cooler 21606-1XF0A. But it doesn't come with a filter? any suggestions? please and thank you! Linda

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Allow us to introduce you to the magic of NissanPartsDeal.com. NPD is a consortium of Nissan dealers marketing OE parts at a discount, and as a result they use the exact same drawings and database as Nissan DPC. That means if you plug in your VIN, it will tell you exactly what part numbers your car was built with. But in this case, you want to find out which cars used the 21606-1XF0A in order to get the matching filter. So you paste the number into the NPD search bar without selecting a car or a VIN, and it takes you here:
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/n ... 1xf0a.html
Notice at the very bottom of the page, it shows you that the beehive fits '13~'15 Sentra, '08~'10 Rogue, and '07~'09 Sentra SE/R. Since you're fitting it to a Rogue, we go back to the NPD home page (tag "Nissan Parts" at the top) and enter an '08 Rogue. Then we paste the number in again and we end up here:
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/n ... &filter=()
Then we tag "Shop for Related Parts in..." about a third of the way down the page, and that gives us this:
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-l ... m=311_A004
...which if we hover over the filter in the diagram, reveals that the filter matching the beehive is 31726-1XF00. Make sure you enter the '08 Rogue before using the second and third links here, otherwise the links won't work right.
:yesnod

torrc

Thank you! I had discovered that site (it shows up first in google!) but couldn't get past the part where I enter my VIN and it says parts not compatible! No wonder, thank you for that explanation! I'm done, no more questions I promise :)

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome. Don't apologize, if answering questions wasn't fun then half of us wouldn't be here. Besides, as my Dad used to say, "The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask and got your a$$ bit because of it."
;)

torrc

Hi, we've finally got all the parts and have the Rogue apart, ready to attack the beehive replacement...I notice a nice little sticker: Nissan CVT oil should only be refilled with NISSAN NS3 transmission oil, all other oils will damage the CVT."

OK, nice! We live 3 hours from the nearest Nissan dealer, is there any substitute transmission oil we can use to top it off after the beehive/cooler install? will any CVT transmission oil do, or by gosh, it has to be the Nissan brand?? (I'm way out of warranty, so that's not an issue). TIA!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

The topic of using off brand CVT fluid has already been covered.

......Since we’re on the topic of Cvt fluid
CVT Fluid Change
VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:31 pm
Rockhoundrob wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:23 am
The question is... are Nissan transmission picky about CVT fluid?
It's either go to Nissan and get CVT NS-2 fluid for like $25 per quart... OR go to Autozone and get Valvoline CVT-1 which shows "NS-2,NS-3" on the back at $11 per quart.

Any suggestions? what about differential? do they need to be taken care of too?
NS2/NS3 used to have a film-strength advantage over the aftermarket fluids, but the aftermarket has come a loooong way in the last few years. The reputable full-synthetics have become pretty much problem-free and as good or better than the OE fluid.

If it's FWD then the diff and tranny are integrated, change one and you change the other. Only the rear diff on AWD is a separate unit.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I'm partial to Eneos Eco, it's about the same color as NS3 and outperforms it in several categories, including running quieter. It's also completely miscible with NS2/NS3, so no changeover worries. I have several customers using it and zero issues. Lots of other good brands out there, though. AMSoil is also outstanding, I have two happy customers running that (red, but since you're out of warranty it isn't really an issue).

Return to “Rogue Forum”