2013 M37, windshield rain sensor out

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
speedydog5

I just had my windshield replaced and now my auto rain sensor feature don,t work , its plugged in i checked, i set to auto and it swipes once and then that,s it wipers work regular on low and high, does sensor need to be replaced

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Yes. I had the same issue on my wife's QX60...although mine was done under the CPO warranty. Who replaced the windshield? Perhaps contact them first.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Whomever replaced the windscreen may have done it incorrectly or didn't bother to replace that unit. The sensor is filled with a kind of liquid gel that cannot be reused.
If you replace your windscreen, the unit itself CAN be re-attached but ONLY if the old reservoir is emptied, cleaned thoroughly, and refilled with new fluid. It is a bit tricky to install as the sensor must be placed against the surface of the glass with NO air bubbles. There is a cure time that must pass before you attach to the glass. Here is a video that should help you fix it. I recommend buying the larger kit because I botched the first attempt. The worst part is cleaning the surface of the windscreen and the surface of the sensor. If you muck up, you have to re-clean everything and start over. This new product appears to be tons better than what was available 3 years ago when I replaced mine.

archo
Car: 2011 M37X

mine is kinda wonky after a windshield replacement too...

EdBwoy

I was told by a glass installer that Nissan rain sensors never seemed to work correctly after a windshield replacement. They usually just plan on replacing them.

At this point, I've only experienced this one time, but it's something I've kept in mind for future considerations.

Here's a snippet regarding my experience with my 08 M:
EdBwoy wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:03 pm
I think I can finally lay this to rest.

The gent showed up with a new OEM sensor. Part # 28536-3NF7A
It came with some gel already on it, and when installed it works just as I remember (...I think. I never thought to test and carefully watch it before the windshield got replaced). It's sensitive enough with the new sensor and glass that putting one's hand over the sensor will cause the wipers to swipe.

He told me that his boss said that they've had to replace sensors for the Nissans they've replaced windshields on. I can't tell you why, because I can vouch that all he did was unplug and carefully remove the sensor. :gotme

Oh well, now you know what to look out for.

LeeDr
Car: 2014 Infiniti QX60

TL;DR; The rain sensor can be turned off by a dealer and give you regular intermittent wiper functionality.

I'm going to post this in a couple of forum threads because I think it's new information to most people with rain sensors that are giving them problems. After much searching I hadn't found this anywhere online and the Infiniti service manager had never heard of it being done.

The "Auto" mode of the windshield wipers never worked well on our 2014 Infiniti QX60. Mostly they just wouldn't wipe even in a hard rain. Yes, we do use RainX and we love it. But I don't think that alone caused them to never work well for the 6 years we've owned the car. We often ended up manually doing an intermittent wipe with the upward "Mist" every couple of seconds.

As an Electrical Engineer, I decided I had to do something about it. I got the service manual and studied it. I thought I would be cutting into the wire harness and adding my own 555 timer IC or some other circuitry to get the value from the auto sensitivity setting and using that to trigger the wipers intermittently.

But section WW-15 of the service manual states "Front wiper AUTO operation can be set to operation linked or not linked with the rain sensor using CONSULT. Refer to BCS-18 "WIPER : CONSULT Function (BCM - WIPER)"".

And section WW-20 shows the setting "RAIN SENSOR CUSTOMIZE" with initial setting of On.

I took all this in to Austin Infiniti and explained it to 3 or 4 service people including the service manager who had never had anyone ask for this change before. They though if they turned that rain sensor off that the "Auto" setting on the stalk wouldn't work at all. But as I thought from studying the service manual, the BCM still uses the 4 positions of "sensitivity" (instead of the 7 positions on the non-rain sensor cars), along with the vehicle speed, to adjust the intermittent wiper speed.

The dealer made the change quickly while I waited and reported to me that they tested and they work like regular timed intermittent wipers (they didn't test that they still adjust for speed but I'm pretty confident they will).

They gave me a screen print of the "CONSULT-III plus Ver.232.40 setting showing "RAIN SENSOR" with "Current status: Off".

So in summary, if your rain sensor wipers don't work and are driving you crazy enough to search the web for a solutions, you might want to just get the rain sensor disabled and have 4 positions of intermittent wipers. I think you could also change out the combination switch to get the 7 positions but it appears you have to remove the airbag and steering wheel to do that.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”