2012 M35H/M37 - Slight Rattling/Knocking Noise at Low Speeds

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
sadboy
Car: 2012 M35H

Hi everyone,

I have a slight rattle in my 2012 M35H that is noticeable at lower speeds on the driver side. Friend is convinced it is the sway bar endling and it is really only noticeable at lower speeds during slight bumps.

Definitely notice it more as the car is in EV mode at those speeds and the cabin is dead quiet so you can hear everything.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

If it seems to be initated by changes in the road (bumps, etc.) then I would be inclined to agree with your friend. Do you have a video?

sadboy
Car: 2012 M35H

will try to get a video shortly. but yes generally over changes in elevation - cannot replicate by specifically turning

hoping it is the sway bar links as they are cheap on RockAuto.

Also do you happen to know if Sway Bar Links are the same as Stabilizer Links?

That is what RockAuto has listed under suspension.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Yes, they are the same thing. When I was lowed on my 07 M35x with BC coilovers, my links would go bad every 5kmi like clock work. I tried like 5 different brands.

mikedamageinc
Car: 2012 M37x Touring
1999 Camaro SS
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser
2008 Yukon Denali

Mine was making a low rattling noise that was driving me nuts, checked everything and just replaced all endlinks and it seems to be gone now. I went with the Mevotech from Rock Auto, hope they last.

mikedamageinc
Car: 2012 M37x Touring
1999 Camaro SS
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser
2008 Yukon Denali

Update, mine is actually the brake calipers rattling. If yours is still making noise try light pressure on the brakes and see if it goes away.

Not sure on the fix but I'm going to try new guide pins and grease everything up really well.

kdreger
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37

We had the same darn issue with our 2012 M37, come to find out that the under fender covers had 2-3 of the push in fasteners in them instead of the 6-7 and they floppppppppped all around making a ratteling noise! bought 40 from Amazon for $6.99 and it took care of the problem........I just didn't look for the obvious....

kdreger

Well, after our trip to Colorado and 2200+ miles I had enough of the dang front noise! today I took the car in to be inspected at a local garage! they offered a FREE undercarriage inspection and drive train inspection so I went for it! within 4 minutes they found the problem! That DANG plastic cover over the tranny area was loose and would flop at low speeds then stop when driving 45+! Well they took it off and I drove home with NO NOISE! I ordered front end Stabilizer Links even and now get to return them! Sometimes it isn't a major thing that makes the noise at all......thanks to all of you for your suggestions. No on to fixing the cooling in the front drivers seat and those dang mirrors that won't fold or stay in place.....

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

kdreger wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:38 am
Well, after our trip to Colorado and 2200+ miles I had enough of the dang front noise! today I took the car in to be inspected at a local garage! they offered a FREE undercarriage inspection and drive train inspection so I went for it! within 4 minutes they found the problem! That DANG plastic cover over the tranny area was loose and would flop at low speeds then stop when driving 45+! Well they took it off and I drove home with NO NOISE! I ordered front end Stabilizer Links even and now get to return them! Sometimes it isn't a major thing that makes the noise at all......thanks to all of you for your suggestions. No on to fixing the cooling in the front drivers seat and those dang mirrors that won't fold or stay in place.....
Reminds me of a Murano we had in the shop with an intermittent clattering noise over bumps that seemed to originate from the rear part of the driver's door. After about an hour of removing the door trim from both doors and finding nothing and then combing through the subframe and gussets under the car, we loosened the clips on the left rocker panel and found a highway reflector (the kind they embed in the concrete) kicking around inside it. Further inspection revealed a cracked front mudflap and a hole in the wheel-well cover where the spinning tire had hurled the reflector end-first through the plastic like a missile, leaving the reflector to bounce around about halfway down the length of the rocker.

Ya just never know...

emm3seven
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37x w/Tech + Touring

mikedamageinc wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:07 am
Update, mine is actually the brake calipers rattling. If yours is still making noise try light pressure on the brakes and see if it goes away.

Not sure on the fix but I'm going to try new guide pins and grease everything up really well.
I’m having the exact same problem you describe with my 2011 M37x. Replaced front sway bar links, sway bar bushings, struts, and upper strut mounts in hopes of killing it in one go…but that didn’t touch it.

Started as driver’s side only, but now front passenger side is doing it too.

Brake calipers are a good lead, as my problem also only occurs under bumpy conditions with no brakes applied. Applying the brakes lightly (even while accelerating on a bumpy uphill road) will quiet it immediately.

Whichever of us figures it out first, let’s make a pact to share!

kdreger

Well, ROCKS ROCKS ROCKS ROCKS! YES ROCKS!
I removed that tranny cover yesterday hoping that this would resolve the rattling! Well, it did help some but today when I drove it the dang noise was back and it sounded like it was under the passenger’s SEAT! RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE......at low speeds with the windows UP! So, a few minutes ago I pulled out the big light, the floor jack and jacked up the passenger side and crawled a little under..... I tapped the long plastic cover that ran from just behind the front left wheel to just in front of the left rear wheel and IT RATTELED! It wasn't loose but it sounded like......wait for it.......R O C K S! Yep there were a few rocks sticking out of what I assume are drain holes! So.....Hose in hand with pressure head on I stuck the hose into the plastic cover from the front washing the water DOWN to the rear! LOW AND BEHOLD MORE ROCKS AND MORE ROCKS! Well I'll be danged.....So I did the other side.....YEP, same dang thing! ROCKS! Took the car down and test drove it around the bumpy part of the road here where I KNEW it made the rattling noise............Quiet......no rattling......I guess it kinda makes sense thinking back on it, we have a gravel driveway and our streets here are chip and seal rocks so all those small rocks could and DID get thrown up into both of those plastic covers...... so, next thing will be to remove them and clean then well and maybe even seal them off from getting rocks with some screen if I can.... I am so glad I didn't spend $$$$$$$ trying to fine a serious problem when it was a really simple thing after all.......thanks for listening to my rant and MAYBE you all can check out your undercarriages to see how many rocks you have......Ken

kdreger

Update Thursday October 8, 2021
Took the car to Infinity of Austin, they had the car for 12 days! Sent me a list of items a mile long to "Repair" that would resolve the rattling noise plus the leaking valve gaskets $1,66.53, clean & treat the A/C vents $67.00, change the brake fluid $204.95, replace the inside cabin filter $130.00 and replace the spark plugs $360.00, fuel Induction service $259.95 and replace the front shocks for $1,335.00....Just "CUMP CHANGE" right! NOT! Cabin filters are $4.00-17.00, opted out of the struts, plugs, fuel induction service....ended up being $1,5995 out the door! Called up our guy who did the brakes here at home and he came today and replaced the front struts for...$785.00....Test drove the car and STILL MAKES THE DANG NOISE! Anybody have an idea on what might be causing this? The front end parts checked out good, no movement in any of them. Replace the cardboard crap shield with an aluminum one also...

kdreger

Interesting call today! This morning Austin Infinity Service Manager called me here at home to talk about the "POOR" online review I gave them! We talked about what was done to the car and how the diagnosis was done and that I chose to have my guy do the front struts!
This is where things got interesting. His perspective was if the parts were not "Infinity Genuine" parts they probably are still failing and the noise will continue! Yep, pretty much said unless you (I ) get it done from the dealer the noise will remain! I asked him if his "Master" mechanic put on a "Chassis Ear" to diagnose the problem, he said no, but wants us to BRING back the car for them to do that and check out the strut installation my guy did. They are "Sure" it is a aftermarket issue with parts...he went on to say this has happened many times and when they replace the parts with actual Infinity parts the problems go away......
So, the questions are: 1. Are there specific ways to actually install struts on a 2012 M37 Front, 2. Has anyone ever used a Chassis Ear to diagnose sounds from the car to determine where the sound is coming from? 3. Has anyone used OEM parts to do this? :werd:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Won't comment on the rest, but we use the Chassis Ear pretty routinely when a car won't make the noise on the rack and there's no clear suspect from the symptoms. Takes a few minutes to set it up, but it can be your best friend.

kdreger

Well, I went out on a far reaching limb and bought a set of CHASSIS EARS! I hooked them up today to the M37 in the front to the points I thought MIGHT be making this ongoing noise. After 2 test drives around the area I "Think" I have pin pointed the item doing it! Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link! so, will order it AGAIN and this time get it put on and see if this resolves that noise!

kdreger

Today I had our mechanic come out and install the NEW Suspension Stabilizer Bar Links that I again purchased. It didn't resolve the rattle AGAIN! So, back to the drawing board again.........Grrrrrrrrr

emm3seven

mikedamageinc wrote:

Checking in with fellow owners with this problem, as I'm planning to dive in again once the weather starts warming up -

Did you manage to fix your noise by doing some front brake work?

kdreger

The noise seems to be getting louder now, still nobody can find out what the issue is. Asking another garage that I took our 2013 XJ Jaguar to and see if they can find the problem.......

kdreger

emm3seven wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:54 pm
mikedamageinc wrote:

Checking in with fellow owners with this problem, as I'm planning to dive in again once the weather starts warming up -

Did you manage to fix your noise by doing some front brake work?
Did this work for you? I am thinking of doing the pins also. And I found another post about a ratteling issue on the heat shield where a broken weld is causing the rattle! Will check that out also...SHARE

kdreger

mikedamageinc wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:07 am

Do you by any chance know the part number on the pins? Also do they need a rubber seal? where did you purchase them? I have looked a Infinity parts and they show 2 types and a internet search shows different numbers??

kdreger

Took the front wheel off today and checked the brake caliper, it does have a small rattle in it so I did take a video of it. I posted it on youtube so about 20 seconds into it listen to the noise. Taking it into NTB on wed to have them look at it also.

Link:https://youtu.be/TyCPrryLGG8
Let me know what you think, this is getting really crazy

kdreger

Wednesday results- Took the car over to NTB and they did a long inspection of all the moving parts under the car, front, engine, rear, wheels and NOTHING! NOPE Nadda........everything I have done to rid the noise is what they would look for also. So it may now seem that the noise might come from inside the front dash......at least the car is safe...now to figure out how to get inside the dash....

kdreger

Well, today I did this, and it worked! So after spending $3000+ to find the dang rattle on various parts and services I spent $35.00 in stuff that actually MAY of fixed it for the time being! Now, granted this I think is temporary because there is a underlying issue with the upper suspension link and the Transverse Link. So far the sound is gone, it probably will return but till then I am happy for find it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWOynwT ... ex=3&t=13s is the video.

kdreger

Well, tomorrow I will have the right & left front upper & lower control arms replaced to try AGAIN to resolve the mysterious rattle in the front end that has been going on now for years....The cost is about $2100 including parts & labor.

emm3seven

If you haven’t replaced all the caliper slide pin rubber and greased all the moving bits, I would strongly recommend it. It turned out to be my problem after similarly banging my head for months. Less than $50 in parts and a few hours labor might be worth a try.

kdreger

Well, it looks like my untraceable front-end noise is now history! yep after thousands of $$$$$ I replaced both sides, upper & lower control arms. Now the noise isn't there....what a fiasco.....

kdreger

emm3seven wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:26 pm
If you haven’t replaced all the caliper slide pin rubber and greased all the moving bits, I would strongly recommend it. It turned out to be my problem after similarly banging my head for months. Less than $50 in parts and a few hours of labor might be worth a try.
Our mechanic checked them yesterday and ours are fine, thanks

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”