2012 G37x - Unresponsiveness and acceleration Lag

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
Mudgen
Car: 2011 Graphite Shadow G37x sedan (Jezebel), 2011 Dark Gray Metallic Subaru WRX sedan (Darth), 2006 F150 XLT 4x4 5.4L 4OT (Big Brown)

:facepalm:

Thinc2
Car: 2015 Q60 Limited

This sounds like an issue for the AT's that don't have paddle shifters. I have a 2015 Q60S AT. If i'm not in the right powerband when I want fast acceleration, I just downshift with the paddle shifter and off i go. Pretty straighforward and works nicely. Like every other combustion engine, you just need to be in the right rpm range to have access tot he acceleration...

Or you can go with Tesla...

Mudgen
Car: 2011 Graphite Shadow G37x sedan (Jezebel), 2011 Dark Gray Metallic Subaru WRX sedan (Darth), 2006 F150 XLT 4x4 5.4L 4OT (Big Brown)

james t kirk wrote:Using the manual shift mode on an automatic is idiotic. The entire notion of paddle shifters, or using the stick to shift is laughable.

Either it is a standard, or it's an automatic.
Just reminding errybody that OP says anyone using paddles or manual mode is an idiot.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

james t kirk wrote:Seems like a few other people are having the same problem.

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/16 ... n-problems
Seems a lot of people would get answers to their basic questions by reading the owner's manual.

james t kirk

Mudgen wrote:
james t kirk wrote:Using the manual shift mode on an automatic is idiotic. The entire notion of paddle shifters, or using the stick to shift is laughable.

Either it is a standard, or it's an automatic.
Just reminding errybody that OP says anyone using paddles or manual mode is an idiot.
Wrong.

I said that "using the manual shift mode on an automatic is idiotic. The entire notion of paddle shifters, or using the stick to shift is laughable."

I did NOT say that those who so choose to use shifting paddles are idiots. You inferred that and you are incorrect

See, I know how to drive standard. Prefer it actually. So to me, shifting paddles are indeed idiotic. Just get a standard transmission. I would have hugely preferred to be able to purchase my car with a standard transmission, but the AWD sedan variant is not available in standard.

Bottom line, if I buy a car with an automatic transmission, I expect it to shift gears properly. My 2012 G37x with its 7AT RE701A transmission is not shifting gears correctly and it cannot be repaired to do so.

Mudgen

james t kirk wrote:
I said that "using the manual shift mode on an automatic is idiotic.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

james t kirk wrote:Wrong.

I said that "using the manual shift mode on an automatic is idiotic. The entire notion of paddle shifters, or using the stick to shift is laughable."

I did NOT say that those who so choose to use shifting paddles are idiots. You inferred that and you are incorrect

See, I know how to drive standard. Prefer it actually. So to me, shifting paddles are indeed idiotic. Just get a standard transmission. I would have hugely preferred to be able to purchase my car with a standard transmission, but the AWD sedan variant is not available in standard.

Bottom line, if I buy a car with an automatic transmission, I expect it to shift gears properly. My 2012 G37x with its 7AT RE701A transmission is not shifting gears correctly and it cannot be repaired to do so.
I somewhat agree with what you are saying about manual mode with the 7AT as I've found that manually shifting my Q50 is worthless and I don't bother. Now, my G37 with the 5AT is a different story.

james t kirk

Ok, been a while, but the story continues, and ends here pretty much.

I took my car back to the dealer a couple of months ago. (June or July 2015). I had been back and forth with a talking head at Infiniti in their customer service department and that was of 0 use. Just a waste of time.

It was agreed to take the car back to the dealer for one more go of it. This time, with a mechanic riding around in the car with me with his lap top monitoring the performance of the engine and the transmission.

Long story short, the car is the way the car is, and there is nothing that Infiniti can do to make it operate correctly. The 7 speed automatic transmission in the 2012 G37 is an unresponsive dog, and that will not change. (Infiniti should consider just buying their transmissions from any number of competent / capable transmission manufacturers in the world because JATCO clearly has no idea how to build an automatic transmssion.)

We went on a very short trip, I pointed out that when I'm cruising at about 50 or 60 km/hr and give it a moderate request for acceleration that the engine bogs. He acknowledged that he could see the RPM's of the engine actually DROP despite me hitting the gas, but at the same time said (as they have all said before) that the car is responding properly.

There was no point in continuing our little drive around the block. All he did was say that he sympathized.

Falling RPMs when you hit the gas is not correct.

So bottom line, Infiniti has a lemon on their hands with this new 7 speed transmission. It's a dog and the car responds like an old man's car. Infiniti would rather you just go away and not bother them. Whoever the engineer is that designed this transmission is, they should be really reconsider their choice of careers.

The good news is that I recently bought a new 2015 Ford F150 with the 5.0 litre motor (my work vehicle). I had had a Nissan Frontier, but as a result of my poorly performing G37x and my experience with Infiniti, I did not even consider buying a new Frontier. Never even looked at them. My F150 responds perfectly. And for a huge vehicle, it is surprisingly quick. I wouldn't say it would drive circles around my G37x, but it definitely is a better vehicle to drive.

My relationship with Nissan ends at 3 vehicles. (2005 G35x (bought new), 2009 Nissan Frontier (bought new) and 2012G37x (bought new). I'm not giving Nissan any more of my hard earned cash.

kingrukus
Car: 2000 Nissan Maxima

I know this is a very old thread, however this transmission lag issue is plaguing my 2010 G37x. I want to sell the car because of it.

cerniuk
Car: Infiniti G37 Convertible

Exactly the problem mentioned with my 2012 G37 convertible. It would feel like it resisted the acceleration or flat out did not respond. I could punch it to the floor and count to 3 seconds before getting a response. Other times I punched it and it acted like a teenager being told to do the dishes. Oddly enough, this struggle to accelerate was not all the time but under 50% of the time. I started to keep a log and noticed that it happened mainly in warm weather. When it was cool out, the car tended to react and perform remarkably better and not have the issue. In fact, the colder it got, the less it happened until I noted that it does not happen at all during the winter (yea great, just when I want plenty of acceleration on cold tires and cold road so I can slip...)

Anyway...

Then my back axle started making this ticking / clicking noise when torque was changed on the axle (forward to reverse or revers to forward or just acceleration and deceleration). The factory defect outlined in the Service Bulletin "2009-2013; Clicking Noise From Front Or Rear Axle During Take-Off/acceleration"

When I got the rear axle fixed, it required disconnecting and reconnecting the electronics from the axle that presumably detects slip. Note that the slip detection has direct impact on the engine applying power to the rear wheels, decreasing the power when the wheels are determined to be slipping on the road. This also happens to be exactly how it felt when I accelerated... as if the slip detection was gently and evenly kicking in with the pedal being pushed down... Now remember back, cool weather to cold weather changed the symptom... and the nylon on the molex connector headers and wire housing for the electrical connections shrink and expand significantly (more than metal) in cold and hot. A shrinking wire connector would put more pressure on the connection making the electrical resistance lower if any corrosion existed between the contacts. Hmm....

So I get my car back from being repaired for clicking... and get in it ... and every single time I accelerate, it takes off like a bat out of hell. I don't even have to put it in Direct Shift (DS or Sport) mode. I tap the gas and regardless of my speed, it leaps. It was like I got a new car... or even more appropriately, it felt like my old G37 Sport Coup 6 Speed which hauled (*). (sorry, just no better way to express)

And like another poster, I was inclined to sell my car as I was so disappointed... but I love the looks, handling and the hard top convertible. Had I not had the factory defect (mentioned above) fixed and the acceleration problem resolved this would have been my last Infiniti.

So, long story short, if this happens again with my G37 I will be putting it on a lift and disconnecting, greasing contacts, and reconnecting every freekin molex connector anywhere near the rear axle. My favorites are Permatex (cheap) or MG Chem Silver Conductive Grease

Mark Linkous
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x

Wow. I too have a 2012 G37x that replaced a Lexus LS460. While no doubt the shift logic from monitoring driving habits affects some, it does appear like some seem to be afflicted by something else entirely.

In the little over a month or so that I have owned my X, I have not experienced any lag between application of throttle and acceleration. While the 8 speed in my prior LS was certainly smoother, it is both almost twice as expensive and is a full on luxury sedan. Just a shame the "380" horsepower in the LS460 sadly felt at least 75 horsepower off the rating and when the car was tested by the usual suspects, low 6's were as good as it got in spite of launching it like a red headed stepchild.

Excellent points about the wisdom of installing shift paddles to the 7 speed given how closely spaced the gears indeed are. That said, living around 30 minutes away from Tail of the Dragon, I still might well do it as even in town there are curves a plenty and it is certainly advantageous to keep both hands on the steering wheel. Not that of course the 7AT left to its own devices cannot get the job done. Just nice to be able to utilize engine braking as the road unfolds.

james t kirk

cerniuk wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:39 am
Exactly the problem mentioned with my 2012 G37 convertible. It would feel like it resisted the acceleration or flat out did not respond. I could punch it to the floor and count to 3 seconds before getting a response. Other times I punched it and it acted like a teenager being told to do the dishes. Oddly enough, this struggle to accelerate was not all the time but under 50% of the time. I started to keep a log and noticed that it happened mainly in warm weather. When it was cool out, the car tended to react and perform remarkably better and not have the issue. In fact, the colder it got, the less it happened until I noted that it does not happen at all during the winter (yea great, just when I want plenty of acceleration on cold tires and cold road so I can slip...)

Anyway...

Then my back axle started making this ticking / clicking noise when torque was changed on the axle (forward to reverse or revers to forward or just acceleration and deceleration). The factory defect outlined in the Service Bulletin "2009-2013; Clicking Noise From Front Or Rear Axle During Take-Off/acceleration"

When I got the rear axle fixed, it required disconnecting and reconnecting the electronics from the axle that presumably detects slip. Note that the slip detection has direct impact on the engine applying power to the rear wheels, decreasing the power when the wheels are determined to be slipping on the road. This also happens to be exactly how it felt when I accelerated... as if the slip detection was gently and evenly kicking in with the pedal being pushed down... Now remember back, cool weather to cold weather changed the symptom... and the nylon on the molex connector headers and wire housing for the electrical connections shrink and expand significantly (more than metal) in cold and hot. A shrinking wire connector would put more pressure on the connection making the electrical resistance lower if any corrosion existed between the contacts. Hmm....

So I get my car back from being repaired for clicking... and get in it ... and every single time I accelerate, it takes off like a bat out of hell. I don't even have to put it in Direct Shift (DS or Sport) mode. I tap the gas and regardless of my speed, it leaps. It was like I got a new car... or even more appropriately, it felt like my old G37 Sport Coup 6 Speed which hauled (*). (sorry, just no better way to express)

And like another poster, I was inclined to sell my car as I was so disappointed... but I love the looks, handling and the hard top convertible. Had I not had the factory defect (mentioned above) fixed and the acceleration problem resolved this would have been my last Infiniti.

So, long story short, if this happens again with my G37 I will be putting it on a lift and disconnecting, greasing contacts, and reconnecting every freekin molex connector anywhere near the rear axle. My favorites are Permatex (cheap) or MG Chem Silver Conductive Grease
Now that is truly interesting.....

I have not been on this forum in a long time. The car still has the same dreadful transmission problem, it's basically my wife's car now as I drive the F150 (and still love it). But even she notices the lag in the transmission.

I will give this a look see and see if I can see these connection points. Nothing to lose at this point.

Interestingly enough, I recently found this review of the 2018 Q50 (Which is just the latest G variant isn't it).

The author complains about the exact same unresponsive transmission as I was complaining about 6 years ago.

The reason I pinpoint the bigger engine as my favorite part of the Q50's driving experience is because what's attached to it is disappointing. The only transmission is a seven-speed automatic, and it's a wet blanket even in the Q50's more aggressive driving modes. My test car thankfully included the Performance Package, which added the adaptive Dynamic Digital Suspension, sport brakes and paddle shifters. The paddles were a godsend; choosing gears myself let the engine shine. It's quick to get into its power and likes to rev, but any time I left the automatic to its own devices, there was a noticeable lag between pushing down the accelerator and any forward motion. There was a delay in acceleration while hoping the transmission would kick down a gear or two, as well as when mashing the pedal hard, hearing it hit the floor and then waiting for the car to realize, "oh, I should be moving."

Link to rest:

https://www.cars.com/reviews/2018-infin ... 699509343/

audtatious

Weird issues I've never experienced. I have only had the issue where the transmission will become lost when accelerating, getting off the gas quickly, and then stomping the crap out of it.....

The new Q60 does not have as much of a delay. The only issue I've noticed is when in sport+ mode doing a slow speed it feels sluggish as though the turbo's need spooling. Mashing the gas it pauses a half second before throwing you back in the seat.

audtatious

If this is an issue with control systems have you guys tested with traction control off? If you turn VDC off then only ABS and yaw sensors should be working which is why the slip light will still go off if you are losing traction. Motor should not cut when slip is detected and if the sensors are screwed up and causing the motor to cut as if slip is happening then simply disabling VDC may stop it from happening and "prove the point".

Fins160
Car: 2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

I have a 2010 G37 vert that does the same thing. I find that if I drive it in DS with Traction Control off, I don't see it as often. Typically it's when I've been driving it mildly in D, and I want/need to mash the gas, it doesn't respond. If I try it again, it responds fine.

Anyone have description/pictures of those axle electronic connections that need to be cleaned/greased?

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”