2012 G37x - Unresponsiveness and acceleration Lag

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
james t kirk

Using the manual shift mode on an automatic is idiotic. The entire notion of paddle shifters, or using the stick to shift is laughable.

Either it is a standard, or it's an automatic.

I rented a Chevy Impala last week while working out in BC. Just a little Sh1t box to get around in while out west. That car was also an automatic, but when you push the gas - guess what, it accelerates. More responsive than my 2012 G37x. What a joke.

Mudgen
Car: 2011 Graphite Shadow G37x sedan (Jezebel), 2011 Dark Gray Metallic Subaru WRX sedan (Darth), 2006 F150 XLT 4x4 5.4L 4OT (Big Brown)

OK. I guess "the car is now behaving like I would expect it to" and "this is the way the car should drive" don't mean the same things in Canada as they do down here.

james t kirk

Mudgen wrote:OK. I guess "the car is now behaving like I would expect it to" and "this is the way the car should drive" don't mean the same things in Canada as they do down here.
Whatever buddy.

kmckis1029
Car: 2016 Q50 RS400 AWD

2010 G37x w/Prem, Nav, & Wood (sold)

2005 G35x w/Prem C (traded in)

in DS mode the car will hold a gear while braking, that is on purpose. it is called "engine braking"... its the same thing that people do in a manual trannyy when going down a hill or want the car to slow into a turn without hitting the brakes.

i can assure you the tranny does eventually learn your habits thoug and will down shift with less of a push... it has for me at least...

you should try grounding wires to your ECU and tranny also... that really helped out my old g35x... so i have them on my g37x too.

james t kirk

The sad story continues.....

I still own the car, I'm still massively disappointed in the lack of responsiveness.

I had the car in to 401 Dixie Infiniti and complained for a third time about the lack of responsiveness of the car / acceleration lag (service was being done at the same time to change the oil. I waited for the car.)

After however long, I was called to the service desk and was told that they "could not duplicate" my issue with the acceleration lag. Sigh......

So I asked for and received the number for Infiniti Canada's Customer Service.

I called Customer Service and spoke to a guy on the phone who was of no help. He looked into my issue and he had nothing on his computer and therefore, was of 0 help, nor did he say he could do anything. I asked for an email address to write to because I wanted this to be evaluated by a technical person, not a call centre guy.

I was given the email address:

[email protected]'

And I wrote the following email on August 10, 2013

To whom it may concern,

I am the very disappointed owner of a 2012 Infiniti G37x purchased brand new from 401 Dixie Infiniti. (Serial Number JN1CV6AR7CMXXXXXX). The car currently has 19,000 km on it.

The problem is an overall lack of responsiveness under acceleration. Specifically, there is a very noticeable lag between the time you depress the accelerator and the time the car actually begins to move under certain circumstances.

1. When traveling at highway speeds, flooring the car, the car does not respond as it should. There is a lag where the pedal is to the floor and the engine does not respond.

2. When braking from highway speeds of say 110 or 120 km/hr down to say 70 or 80, and then hitting the gas, the car does not respond, in fact, it continues to slow, and then it spools up.

3. At about 60 km/hr, moderate acceleration produces a bog in the engine that requires more aggressive depression of the accelerator which causes the car to accelerate too quickly and you have to hit the brakes to avoid rear ending the vehicle in front of you.

I have never owned a vehicle that performed so poorly and is so disappointing to drive.

For the record, I bought a 2005 Infiniti G35x brand new from 401 Dixie (Serial Number JNKCV51F85MXXXXX). That car was beautiful to drive. Completely responsive, nimble, a joy to drive. It had a 5 speed automatic which was hugely superior to the current 7 speed.

I have taken my car to 401 Dixie on 3 separate occasions complaining about its lack of responsiveness. They tell me that it is “operating normally, however, not correctly”. (Two different things it seems.) I am told that the problem was far worse in the 2009 to 2011 models, however, the Dealer seems to think that the problem was cured by a software patch. It is not cured. Maybe it’s better, but it’s still terrible.

I don’t know if the problem is in the software, or the transmission, or the Engine Control itself. All I know is that the car is a dog and joyless to drive. I can’t believe that this problem cannot be fixed.

I called Infiniti Customer Service at 1-800-361-4792. It was a waste of breath, though they did give me this email address.

It is my ardent hope that this email is indeed passed along to someone who cares because so far, no-one at Infiniti seems to give a s***.

Oh, and I’m not alone on this (a simple google search “2012 Infiniti G37 lag”)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdWjh9L8oPE

I would appreciate the courtesy of a response.

Regards

By November, I had still not received any sort of response from Infiniti with respect to my email, so I called them up again and resent the email.

On November 21, 2013 I received this email response:

We wish to acknowledge your contact with Infiniti Canada.

We apologize for the inexplicable lack of response to your original email; we will address said misstep internally.

Please be assured that your email has been forwarded to Lynda, the Consumer Relations Representative with whom you spoke on 18 November 2013; the information contained within will be added to the review which Lynda initiated. Infiniti Canada will contact you further when said review is complete/direction determined, or beforehand (should further information be required).

While we regret the circumstances which prompted you to call and write, we do appreciate the opportunity to call upon our resources to address the situation.

Infiniti Canada Inc.
Telephone: 1-800-361-4792
Email: [email protected]

Some time in or about December 2013 I received a call from "Daniel" at Customer Service at Infiniti Canada.

In a nutshell, Daniel told me that the dealer indicated that it "could not duplicate" and that was that. There was no other help to be had, it was (and is) all my imagination.

(Daniel was just a call center guy, I never received any feedback from any Engineer or Technical person whatsoever.)

Daniel apologized profusely several times, but stated that there was nothing that he or Infiniti could do as the dealer had stated that it could not duplicate the problem.

And that was that. (Well, yes and no)

So I wrote a paper letter to the CEO of Infiniti Canada because clearly, I wasn't getting anywhere calling or emailing Infiniti Customer Service.

What am I looking for you ask?

Well, obviously I want a car that responds properly, but in order to get there, I need the car to be looked at by a higher level technical person. A mechanic at 401 Dixie infiniti is not at that level. I want someone at the factory who works at a technical level to either speak to me, or better yet to examine the car. That's all.

But it just isn't happening.

james t kirk

So now I send a letter to the CEO of Infiniti Canada.

On March 25, 2014 I write a very detailed letter to Christian Meunier complaining about the lack of responsiveness of the car and the lack of caring on the part of Infiniti Canada.

I received a call from Infiniti Canada within a week and I spoke to a person at Infiniti who told me that he had been asked to call me. I was polite with him on the phone and he was professional with me. He told me that he had spoken to 401 Dixie Infiniti and that their service manager would be calling me in the next couple of days to arrange to have a data recorder installed in my car so that its performance (or lack thereof) could be recorded and analyzed.

hallelujah

That's all I've wanted since god knows how long.

Buuutttt then the same old poor service from Infiniti rears its ugly head again.

No call from 401 Dixie to arrange to install the data recorder.

one week goes by. two weeks, a month.

No call.

Life is busy on my end too.

Finally one day, I get a call from 401 Dixie, but it's a human robo call is all. Telling me my car is due for Maintenance whatever. I semi rip into the girl who called me about the issue, the data recorder, 401 Dixie was supposed to call me, etc.

5 minutes later, my phone rings and it's the service manager there telling me that she is aware of my situation, but that she needs to get an Engineer to install the monitoring device (or at least be on board with it. She says she's working on it, asks for my patience and that she will call me back to let me know when to bring in the car.

Well, that was a week and a half ago. Still no call.

So we are now 9 months and counting since I originally called Infiniti Service.

How do you like them apples?

Obviously, Infiniti would just prefer that I go away, but I've locked into this one now and I want to get it corrected (hopefully)

On a sad note, the guy who bought my 2005 G35x came by my place a week ago and we went out for a spin in my old car. What a dream car that was. Driving the 2005 was like a breath of fresh air compared to driving the 2012 G37x "crown Victoria" (I say crown Victoria because the 2012 reminds me of an old man's car the way that it responds. All it needs is the smell of moth balls.) Infiniti neutered the car when it redesigned it in 2007

Starter
Car: 13 G37X sedan
11 G37S sedan

I'd suggest you write another letter to the President of Infiniti Canada detailing your latest experience since your original contact there (include copies of the previous correspondence). That might get a response. Sounds like either 401 Dixie is one of the really bad dealerships or the Service Mgr is blowing you off hoping you'll go away or both. You might mention in this letter about your being a member of this and other boards and how, if it's not fixed, you'll feel compelled to share your experience in detail.

Mudgen
Car: 2011 Graphite Shadow G37x sedan (Jezebel), 2011 Dark Gray Metallic Subaru WRX sedan (Darth), 2006 F150 XLT 4x4 5.4L 4OT (Big Brown)

I'm sure that they know by now that he's not going away, and that he feels compelled to share his experience in detail.

Kendahl
Car: 2008 G37S, Blue Slate, Premium, Navigation

james t kirk wrote:Infiniti neutered the car when it redesigned it in 2007
I think you have summed up your problem in one sentence.

Have you had a chance to compare your car with a similar one? The best choice would be another 2012 G37X but I suspect any 2012 G37 with an automatic transmission would do. If yours is noticeably worse than the comparison car, Infiniti needs to find out why and fix yours so that it behaves like a normal example. On the other hand, if the comparison car behaves like yours, I think you are SOL. Making yours behave like your G35 would require redesigning the engine and transmission. No manufacturer will do that.

Compare cars from the mid 1960s with their successors ten years later. Government requirements for safety and exhaust emissions, which began in 1968, resulted in cars that were truly miserable POS. Yet there was nothing about them that could be fixed under warranty. A couple of GM engineers I used to know had a side business tearing off all the factory pollution control equipment so that cars would run decently.

ppan76
Car: 2011 Infiniti EX35 Journey
-Premium /Nav

Have exactly the same problem. 2011 Infiniti EX35. The 7 speed transmission is a P.O.S.

Even brought it to the dealership to to have the software updated. No change.

I really have to time my lane merges extra carefully now.

Mudgen

Y'all need to get rid of these cars. Over three years I've come to love the wonderfully agressive, if somewhat quirky, 7AT. One quirk I've found is that if you blip it like you're double clutching a downshift, then slam it to the floor, it takes off like a scalded dog.

It doesn't work like you want it to. Find something that does.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Finally owning a Infiniti with 7AT I shake my head at times when accelerating normally due to lag. Planting the foot to the floor isn't a big issue and it seems to work better. It's night and day with my G37 and 5AT in regards to paddle shifters. The 7AT has such shorter gearing it really makes no sense to use them whereas with the 5AT there are some advantages.

Mudgen

audtatious wrote:Finally owning a Infiniti with 7AT I shake my head at times when accelerating normally due to lag. Planting the foot to the floor isn't a big issue and it seems to work better. It's night and day with my G37 and 5AT in regards to paddle shifters. The 7AT has such shorter gearing it really makes no sense to use them whereas with the 5AT there are some advantages.

I agree about the manual shifting--I can't shift the 7AT as well as it shifts itself.

james t kirk

The sad and surreal story continues...

May 29'th (I'm now keeping a log of all the calls and nonresponsiveness from Infiniti - both the dealer and the corporation.

May 29'th. I had not heard back from 401 Dixie Infiniti, so I called them. The service manager's outgoing voicemail message said she was on a vacation, so I left her a voicemail stating that I wanted to get this monitoring device installed, that it had been dragging on way too long.

June 2'nd - voicemail from 401 Dixie Service manager stating to call her regarding this issue.

June 4'th - called 401 Dixie Infiniti back, and spoke to the service manager. She stated that she had been in touch with Infiniti Canada "and there is no such thing as a monitoring device as "Bill" the latest customer service guy from Infiniti Canada was describing." All she could do was have a mechanic ride around in my car with his lap top open to monitor the car's performance.

Seriously?

I made an appointment for June 12'th

June 5, 2014 - called Bill from Infiniti Canada back and asked him about this contradiction in what I was hearing from him, verses what I am hearing from 401 Dixie Infiniti. Bill stated that 401 Dixie is wrong and he would check into it again and call me back.

Bill calls me back later and stated that the Infiniti person involved with "the monitoring device" is on vacation and that Bill would speak to him on Monday or Tuesday of the following week and he Bill would call me back next week

So I call up 401 Dixie Infiniti and cancel the appointment to take a lap top out for a drive.

So I wait for Bill from Infiniti Canada to call......

(You know where this is going......)

crickets chirping crickets chirping

No call.

July 7'th. I call Bill back at Infiniti Canada. I go through the ENTIRE F-ing speil with him again. Bill states that "I will talk to the Regional Manager about this and get him involved and he or I will call you back" I also told Bill that I had to cancel the lap-top drive with 401 Dixie.

July 9'th. Voicemail on my home phone from Bill at Infiniti Canada asking me to call him. Strange that he would call me at home, every other time, he calls me on my cell.

July 10'th. I call Bill back at Infiniti Canada. Bill seems confused and asked if 401 Dixie Infiniti had been in touch with me. "No, :wtf2: You told me that you were going to speak to the Infiniti Regional Manager regarding the monitoring device, blah blah blah." I rolled through the whole story with him for the 10'th f-ing time. (I feel like it's Ground Hog's Day.) So Bill tells me, no, that I have to take a mechanic out for a ride with an open lap top. Are you serious? What happened to the "monitoring device" Bill sort of beats around the bush and says that 401 Dixie will have to sort out the problem.

Guess there is no such thing as a "monitoring device"

Bill must have been talking to someone at 401 Dixie because he knew that the car was being brought in on an unrelated issue. He asked me if I was going to give the lap top a drive, but I was going on vacation, so I said it would not be until I got back. He asked me if I was doing anything interesting on my vacation, I said, "yeah, going car shopping". (Nervous laughter on Bill's part.)

This is just STUPID already.

nismo2014
Car: 2006 Altima - sold
07 G35S - daily
87 300ZX - project

I can tell you right now that there is a recording device that Nissan uses to help diagnose cars. I was a service adviser at Courtesy Nissan in Richardson and a tech and myself used said device multiple times on the newer Atlima. It helps monitor everything and actually records every little thing from the engine and transmission. It gets recorded then sent over to the engineering dept. at hq where they would give a final verdict. (Used 3 times to diagnose cvt jerk on a 13 and 14 altima and 13 pathfinder)

Tell them its used by TechLine they should know what it is

n350z2003

Hi James
When you have a minute can you send me a PM to [email protected]. I have similar issue issue with an 09 G37S I wish to discuss with you.

alcaponed
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30
2008 Infiniti G35S
2010 Infiniti G37S
2008 BMW 535i

I have a 2010 G37s and do not have the issue. The transmission is supposed to E adaptive so the more aggressively yiu drive the better the response. However lots of people have had lag issues with this 7AT so one solution that always works is getting a tune, like UpRev. On another forum someone suggested flooring it as much as you can to force the transmission to adapt but the best thing is the tune. I also have a 2008 G35s and definitely feel the difference in response though my 37 is not much worse.

codf4ther
Car: 2012 G37x

I have the same issue with my 2012 G37X. I've had it in the shop a couple of times for software updates and it usually gets better for 24 hours or so, the goes right back to the laggy response again. I just drive in DS mode most of the time now which is better, but no where near what this car should be like. This is my first Infiniti, and has turned me off the brand completely. I wouldn't buy another one.

Car: '11 G37xS

401 Dixie Infiniti is a complete joke. I have not experienced your problem, however, I have had consistent issues dealing with the managers at this sad dealership. Makes me not want to own an infiniti anymore. Best of luck dealing with these clowns.

kiltedman
Car: 2012 Infiniti G37 X

I have only noticed this a couple times when driving my G37x. In general, though, it seems responsive. Haven't tried driving it in DS mode, though. Going down through the levels of the parking garage should be fun tonight because I really enjoy the echo of the exhaust note. :)

Hopefully J. Tiberius Kirk will provide an update soon with good news.

tjrob2000
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey sedan

kmckis1029 wrote:the accelerater pedal is basically a button with accelerometer built in.
The accelerator pedal isn't a button and doesn't have an accelerometer. It is essentially a normal pedal with a position sensor attached to it. Accelerometers measures movement.

Regarding the OP's original problem statement the slow shifting in D is also in the '07 G35 (which I own). DS is much better if you want to be able to get into a lower gear quicker. What I think is an advantage in the '07 is the 5AT. I have plenty of torque to get around people easily and generally without having to worry about it downshifting.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

tjrob2000 wrote:Regarding the OP's original problem statement the slow shifting in D is also in the '07 G35 (which I own). DS is much better if you want to be able to get into a lower gear quicker. What I think is an advantage in the '07 is the 5AT. I have plenty of torque to get around people easily and generally without having to worry about it downshifting.
DS is much better with shifting but it's not something most people will want to drive with on a daily occasion because it will keep the vehicle in a higher gear longer (thus more noise and worse gas mileage). When driving in D the 7AT does shift with better range than the 5AT due to the extra gearing. There are positive and negative viewpoints for both transmission types.

Mudgen

Actually, I drive in DS pretty much all of the time. The two re-flashes of the trans EPROM since I got the car (new) have dropped the mixed mpg from 23 to 20 in DS, though.

audtatious

I'm in DS local but the majority of mileage is highway for me. No idea what my mileage is in DS...probably bad :)

tjrob2000
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey sedan

The OP hasn't posted again since July. Any resolution? Another thought is did James T. Kirk experience this when he test drove the car?

Mudgen

tjrob2000 wrote:The OP hasn't posted again since July. Any resolution? Another thought is did James T. Kirk experience this when he test drove the car?
Good questions. OP once referred to finding that "...this is the way the car should drive...." after discovering a feature he seemed to be unaware of, but later resumed complaints.

I drove the car before I bought it and determined that it was what I wanted. I'm not sure that the car wasn't better with the original transmission programming than it is now, after two TSR reflashes. But I'm still happy with it, over all.

james t kirk

Sorry I haven't posted in a while.

Life has been IN-SANE and I have literally had no time to address this issue. Work has been a bear and personal issues as well.

I have not called the dealership to take it back to get it checked out (for a fourth time).

So nothing has changed since I last posted.

Entirely my fault. I simply have been too busy to make it a priority. I was just thinking yesterday that I need to take it back to the dealer hopefully this week

I am still hugely disappointed in the car and I regret buying it.

james t kirk

tjrob2000 wrote:The OP hasn't posted again since July. Any resolution? Another thought is did James T. Kirk experience this when he test drove the car?
When I test drove it, it was a short duration and I had rose coloured glasses on. My fault. I loved the styling and the interior, the seats, and it had more HP than my 2005.

I had bought a 2005 brand new and I LOVED that car. I mean I really thought it was amazing, so I had pretty much made up my mind to buy the 2012 without even driving it. I loved the styling and I figured the performance would be even better. Boy was I wrong. The 2005 is a hugely superior car in terms of responsiveness. The 2005 was a complete blast to drive and the 2012 is a dog. I can't believe how Infiniti neutered this car. I have taken to calling it "Infiniti Crown Victoria"

My fault, I don't blame anyone except myself.

I wish I could have driven the car for a week or so before deciding to buy it.

My other beefs with the car are:

Automatic wipers don't work in the snow
Adaptive cruise control doesn't work in the snow / ice.
Hands free phone is useless.

But I digress.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

I love my 2012 G37S

Automatic wipers don't work in the snow

So what! Would you rather damage them?

Adaptive cruise control doesn't work in the snow / ice.
Safety feature
Why would you create a dangerous vehicle in snow and ice?
Hands free phone is useless.

Mine works fine! Try removing it and repairing the phone with your vehicle
Your coverage area may be poor?

Telcoman

james t kirk

Seems like a few other people are having the same problem.

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/16 ... n-problems

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”