2012 EX35 RWD Journey keep or trade?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Sirrob68
Car: ???

Hello,

Just bought this beautiful car a month ago with 94K miles, the rad busted, and got it replaced to a tune of 2K.

I love this car, and want to keep it, but I know this is just the beginning. Should I trade her in, while values are still high, or stick it out. It seems there will be another 5-8K I will be shelling out over the next 20K miles, according to the common problems that I've read about on here.

Thanks!
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revise Title

ObtuseGoose
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35 2WD

I got an 09 ex 35 in October 2021 and have had the car for a little over a year. I got it at 110k miles and have 135k on it now. I have had no major issues with the car. Like you I did a fair amount of reading on this forum regarding common issues. I looked at the service record before I bought this vehicle and it had a fairly good service record. Regular oil changes, transmission fluid changed, and so on. I checked the service record for stuff regarding the common issues such as the radiator and it had no mention of the radiator being replaced. I also frequently check for fluid leaks and give a good look around when changing my oil and have not seen anything other than normal wear. I think I am just really lucky with the radiator or that is was replaced but not on the service record.

I would say, depending on the service record of your vehicle, how you treat it, and your own handiness in maintaining a vehicle should help you decide on what you should do. It For example,before my ex35, I briefly had a 2012 rav4 v6 and loved the hell out of it. I got the transmission serviced and the transmission started slipping so I traded it in eventually for the ex35 I have now. If you feel like the vehicle is going to be more trouble than its worth then trade it in, if not then enjoy the car.
Also, $5-8K seems like a fairly high estimate on maintenance costs. Where are you taking your vehicle to be serviced? Most dealers notoriously charge out the wazoo and try to sell you things you don't need. And I do understand that quick service chains like fyrestone aren't the cheapest either as I had my coolant serviced for $230. I would suggest doing some of the maintenance yourself if you are able to as that saves a good amount of money and the general knowledge one may learn is also just as valuable.

NewEX35Dude
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35 AWD Journey

I agree with ObtuseGoose regarding maintenance and repairs. I understand many people are unable to do their own repairs for various reasons but I do believe if proper maintenance has been done that the EX is a good investment. I just purchased my 09 EX35 a few weeks ago and it does need a few minor things taken care of but I knew that before purchase.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”