2011 Nissan Juke in the Snow?????

The web's first forum dedicated to the Nissan Juke and the Nissan Qazana.
Silver Surfer
Car: 2011 Nissan Juke SV

Hi,

I just came back from three days skiing in southern Utah. The ski area has the highest base in the US @ 9,600 feet. They received two feet of snow last weekend and most of the parking lots were only about half plowed. There was a mix of ice and snow on ther roads at all times. The average temperature was about 24 degrees F. I used both of the AWD modes and never noticed any slipping or wheel spinning. I drove it in the unplowed areas of the parking lot without any issues. The only issues I did notice was that it took extra time to warm up (expected) and that at that altitude I did not see any boost in the Sport mode. As soon as I got down to 6,000 feet the boost was fine. Overall I was very pleased with the cars performance in the snow. I believe that the Juke was released in Europe before the US and I did see some favorable posts on EU club sites regarding the Juke's performance in snow.

fervent-manual-trans
Car: Nissan Juke

I'm thinking about getting a juke.
What would you say is better in the snow a 6speed manual FWD or auto transmission in AWD?
I'm guessing its a no brainer that AWD would be the winner, but I really want a manual transmission car.
So I guess my real question is how does the 6speed manual drive in the snow?

I currently own a 5speed manual Nissan Xterra. It's a 2000 with 170,000 + miles on it.
It's time for a new car, but I really don't want anything but manual transmission.
I just love the feel of the drive and I don't mind shifting in any traffic situation.

Any advice,
Donna

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

I agree with you that driving a manual is always more fun than an automatic. :D
Understand that the Juke has the CVT transmission which is pretty gutless. The AWD will obviously go much better in the snow but the model with the manual transmission is the one that is fun to drive. I drove them both. Here's the link to my review.
2011-nissan-juke-test-drive-results-t51 ... hilit=juke

If you live in an area that gets a lot of snow, obviously any AWD will be better. However, if you don't get a lot and you can get by with the 6MT I would absolutely pick that one. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

fervent-manual-trans
Car: Nissan Juke

nissangirl74 - Ok read your reviews and that only solidifies that I prefer the manual transmission. :)
So the question remains, how is the 6sp in the snow? Has anyone driven it in considerable snowfall?
If I get the automatic transmission I will miss stick shift, but if I get the stick shift will I miss 4 wheels working when I need them to? Who can answer this questions? I need to hear from a manual transmission owner who has driven their Juke in the snow.

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

fervent-manual-trans wrote:nissangirl74 - Ok read your reviews and that only solidifies that I prefer the manual transmission. :)
So the question remains, how is the 6sp in the snow? Has anyone driven it in considerable snowfall?
If I get the automatic transmission I will miss stick shift, but if I get the stick shift will I miss 4 wheels working when I need them to? Who can answer this questions? I need to hear from a manual transmission owner who has driven their Juke in the snow.
This is from "Grey1", our Juke Moderator. He posted this last December not long after he bought his Juke (AWD).

You make a very good point. You have to observe extra distance in this weather and don't make quick, erratic moves (like Mr. Scion owner) and you will be fine. I'm 45 years old and got my drivers license in a old 1970's Buick Electra during a snow storm that shut down the place as I was taking my picture (the storm, not my picture shut it down). I've been driving a 2006 Charger RT for the past 4 winters. I'm an aggressive driver (supposedly), with ZERO caused accidents to date (knocking on wood).

All that said, AWD doesn't mean SQUAT if the tires never touch the road. I too have seen the AWD/4WD trucks fly by as if by magic. Sometimes I've seen them later during my trip on an embankment. Never touched the gas on the way to work today. Bumper to bumper in the snow with my foot on the brake. I don't think I've ever idled 20+ miles before.

Even with the AWD, I was still driving this thing like it was my Charger. Like previously mentioned, the RSA's sucked on the Charger after the first year so I switched to Firestone snow tires from Tire Rack (name slips me) after that and it improved the handling 100% in the snow. I will be picking up some of these for the Juke or some Blizzaks in the near future. Been snowing all weekend and all this week. The Juke is performing admirably.

Drive Safely everyone!!!

GRey1
Car: 2015 Gun Metallic SL AWD w/Tech
2011 Chrome Nissan Juke SV CVT-AWD

I'm pretty sure the Juke FWD performs at least as well as any other fwd vehicle. I am in contact with a lot of Juke owners and FWD snow performance is not a known complaint. I've driven fwd sticks in the past and love the control you have with a stick. I did not buy my AWD Juke for the improved winter performance. I bought it for the vectoring awd. Normal winter driving in Cleveland doesn't warrant having AWD. For the 3-5 really bad days that you may wish you had it, you can get by with cautious driving. I'm tall, old and have knee problems, so the joy of having a stick on a daily basis is lost for me. If you like driving a stick, buy it. You won't be disappointed more with the Juke's winter performance than you would any other similar sized vehicle. Hope that helps.

Caseyjalpha

Visited this forum to find out how the Juke did on snow. Only got halfway through before I tired of chest bumping and bs. Thanks troll for corrupting a source of info. If I decide to buy a juke that decision is mine, and has nothing to do with your Versa lame self. I live in Co while 9600ft maybe the highest base I have to negotiate Loveland pass at 10200 at least 40 times a winter to get to my slopes and would have appreciated experience in the matter.

ColoradoSnowboarder
Car: 2011 JUKE

We bought our Nissan Juke last year in November. We take our juke from Denver Co to the Mountains almost every weekend of the winter and summer. The juke handles AMAZING in the snow on the rough I-70 Road. The juke pushes past all the other cars on the road. It goes from 5200 feet to about 10K in elevation. We have been in white out conditions about a dozen times so far and the juke handles great. If you have ever been from Denver to Breckenridge Colorado you know how tough that part of I-70 is. The car handles amazing in the high speed curves and pulls great up the mountain.

I love to snowboard and I always go when the weather is the worst (snowboarding is the best) and the juke makes the 75 mile trip in the worst snow conditions with ease.

LilJuker
Car: 2012 Nissan Juke S AWD

I just got a 2012 Juke S AWD, so not a 2011, but I live in Colorado. We got about 6 inches of snow the day after I drove the Juke off of the dealership lot, and it was a necessity for me to go play in it to see how it handled. Let me tell you: IT HANDLES LIKE A FRICKIN' CHAMPION! There was about 4 inches of ice frozen on the roads that I was driving on. I locked it into AWD before I left my house. I drive like a jackass in the first place, so I tried my regular driving out on the ice. Not once, I mean NOT ONCE, did the Juke slip, slide, or anything when I was exceeding the posted speed limits in the 40s and 50s on iches of ice packed onto the asphault.

The AWD feature with the CVT tranny was the main deciding factors in buying the Juke and it far exceeds my expectations!

I intend to go out for a spin today and test out a boost launch in my Lil Juker!

As for the guy that owns a Versa, yet wants to trash the Juke, I'd love to have you line up with my Juke in your Versa one day! I'd gladly put you to shame! ;)

Return to “Juke Forum | Qazana Forum”