2011 M56x engine blown advice

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Mym56
Car: 2011 infiniti m56 base model

I have a 2011 m56 and am have the same issue. I'm from Michigan and drove to Chicago to pick up my car. I just financed the car July 13th 2018 and on August 30th I noticed some issues. When I accelerated out of 1st gear around 3000 rpm the engine would lock up and would rock like I was hitting the gas and brake over and over. I checked the oil and it showed nothing on the dipstick. So I put 3 quarts of oil in and drove it it to the infiniti dealer. The car had 1 quart of oil left when they drained the oil. The mechanic at the infiniti dealer told me that there was metal shavings in the oil they had drained. Turns out the cylinder walls are all scarred up and the warranty company and dealer I bought the car from both denied the warranty because I added oil. I still have 68 months left on this loan.

Mym56

The car has just under 101k miles. The body is super clean. Can I just hone out the cylinders. Basically bore the engine. Or go with a used engine. I'm taking the engine apart but the heads have a crazy 6 star bolt

EdBwoy

Mym56 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:12 pm
The car has just under 101k miles. The body is super clean. Can I just hone out the cylinders. Basically bore the engine. Or go with a used engine. I'm taking the engine apart but the heads have a crazy 6 star bolt
I think it depends on what the car is worth to you. How much you owe on it, plus how much you want to put into it.
I don't know if you mean you want to hone out the cylinders yourself or for it to be done by a professional engine builder - but I think if any rebuilding/modification were to be done to the VK56VD engine today, that will be in the pioneering stages. Any competent rebuilder should be able to do it, but we don't know of many/any rebuids running around.
What I can tell you based on experience is that an engine that has locked up at various occasions will probably need more than the cylinders honed. Check with a good engine builder and he/she can advise you.
My choice would be to look for a used engine with a sensible warranty term. Disassemble the old one to play with or rebuild for sale/for keeps.
Mym56 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:08 pm
... the warranty company and dealer I bought the car from both denied the warranty because I added oil...
Really? Is that their only basis for denying the claim? I thought you get in trouble for NOT adding oil (therefore neglecting it), not for trying to maintain it.
On that note, I would consult with a lawyer. I am hoping they should determine rather swiftly whether your claim is valid or not.

Mym56

yeah that was their reason to deny the claim. I still out $16k+ so I'm going to try and fix it. I love the car. I dont think I ever got a chance to experience the full power behind it. Its disappointing to say the least.

Mym56

I did talk with a lawyer and because I signed an arbitration he said that there was nothing I could do. I would have to go to trial against the dealer and the bbb and he said that the bbb usually backs the dealer 100%. And because the car isn't running he said I'd have to tow it down there for every hearing they have. Which would be expensive due to it being almost 450 miles away from where I live.

EdBwoy

That blows. It might be difficult to know exactly when the failure started, but either way you're left holding the bag. Good luck with whichever route you choose to take with the engine replacement.

Mym56

Thanks I appreciate it. Yeah its definitely been a problem since before I bought it. Like I said I'm taking the engine apart now. The valves are caked in sludge and metal shavings, looks like it's never had a oil change in its life lol. Once I take the heads off I'll know for sure whether or not I'm going to buy a replacement engine. And quick question, can I out the titan long tube headers on this thing and what about cams? I found some Bill Cower cams and connecting rods. Connecting rods are for our car and the cams are for the vk56de engine but they also make custom cams? Just curious.

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Sounds like the damage was already done when you bought it. Bad thing about the 5.6 is that it uses oil as part of normal operation. Even if the car was serviced regularly, it's what you do in between that counts. If the dipstick was dry when you bought it, chances are the previous owner didn't think to check the oil level in between the scheduled service. With that said, you have a couple of options since it sounds like you're out of legal recourse.

Unfortunately there aren't any custom options for the VK56VD motor. As you mentioned, the Titan engine offers some flexibility there. It will fit but getting the single throttle body to work may be tricky. The VD exhaust manifolds are also the catalytic converters. If you live in a state that requires emissions inspections, that will be an issue if you run headers. You will have to install aftermarket cats. You may be able to find a used QX56/80 or M56/Q70 5.6 engine that will drop in.

EdBwoy

Mym56 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:15 pm
... taking the engine apart now. The valves are caked in sludge and metal shavings, looks like it's never had a oil change in its life lol. Once I take the heads off I'll know for sure whether or not I'm going to buy a replacement engine...
Valves coated in oil on the back side? Yeah I see that. It's part of the M56 game -
https://forums.nicoclub.com/topic612859.html
As for metal shavings there as well, that's strange to me.

I'm excited to see your progress as you tear it down. Are you taking pictures as you go?

On the engine mod stuff, all I can say is that even the mods might need to be modded. The same member from the link above said the truck stuff might not be exactly bolt-on for the sedan. But again, no positive confirmation from anyone who's done it.
https://forums.nicoclub.com/topic617298.html

EdBwoy

Mym56 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:15 pm
...Once I take the heads off I'll know for sure whether or not I'm going to buy a replacement engine. And...
Bump! Any news to share?

OLoft
Car: Infiniti M56x

Sorry to hear that man. Well I just got off the phone with Infiniti. My 2011 M56x has a blown head gasket at 115K milles. They are recommending an engine replacement or let it go. What are the odds?!?!? Crazy that I see this thread as soon as come to the forums.

EdBwoy

OLoft, could you share a little more background on the issue at hand? Did it have symptoms of overheating, continued loss of coolant, white smoke from the tailpipe?
Had you taken it in for the timing chain recall?

Oh, and where are you located?

OLoft
Car: Infiniti M56x

EdBwoy wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:39 am
OLoft, could you share a little more background on the issue at hand? Did it have symptoms of overheating, continued loss of coolant, white smoke from the tailpipe?
Had you taken it in for the timing chain recall?

Oh, and where are you located?

The radiator did give out in May of 2018 at around 106K. The coolant leaked out, but luckily I noticed the temperature gauge climbing so I shut the car down as it went to red on the gauge. Had the car towed and paid $2800ish to have my local Infiniti dealership replace the radiator and coolant lines. Fast forward to now at around 115K and I noticed the car began to have random misfiring during start up and heavy acceleration. I took it to Infiniti (different dealership), they kept the car for over a week trying to figure out the issue. They finally suggested replacing plugs and coils, but told me they weren't sure if that was what the issue was. The quote was over $2k. I told them I can't afford that much money on a hunch. I took the car to a independent mechanic and got a better quote for the same work Infiniti suggested. We ordered the parts and were just waiting for them to come in (which they did today, lol). Unfortunately, the car began to overheat again two days ago so shut it down well before the temp gauge climbed to red and had it towed to my local Infiniti (the dealership that did the radiator work) and that's when they gave me the bad news. I did notice during this overheating that there was no coolant on the ground.

Timing chain recall was performed a while back.

I'm located in the DMV area.

EdBwoy

OLoft, I feel like more troubleshooting is needed. I wouldn't give in to the dealership's suggestions yet.
I'll send you an email.

Mym56

Ok guys sorry it has been so long since I have posted an update on my car. Turns out the motor is basically blown. I bought a endoscopic camera to check out the cylinder walls and they are completely scorn. The back 6 are not as bad at the front 2 which were covered in metal shavings. I'm still going to slap everything back together and just make sure everyday that it has enough oil. Until I can save up for a new or used engine. The car itself is in mint condition so I was thinking about putting a new 14+ engine in it because if I go used I dont want to end up with the same issue. Such a s*** situation to go through since I only had the car for a month prior to the issue. I've been having a hard time finding head gaskets or any parts for this car.

Mym56

I was trying to get pictures of the cylinder walls but the camera has very poor resolution lol so it wasnt worth it but gave me an idea how bad they were. Tons of build up inside and not smooth as it should be.

EdBwoy

Mym56 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:43 am
... I've been having a hard time finding head gaskets or any parts for this car.

I found some part numbers online
11044-1LA0B superseded to 11044-1LA1B. Left bank head gasket
11044-1LA0A superseded to11044-1LA1A. Right bank head gasket
Have you tried going through Infiniti to source the parts you're looking for?

satown210
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37
2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road

Mym56 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:43 am
Ok guys sorry it has been so long since I have posted an update on my car. Turns out the motor is basically blown. I bought a endoscopic camera to check out the cylinder walls and they are completely scorn. The back 6 are not as bad at the front 2 which were covered in metal shavings. I'm still going to slap everything back together and just make sure everyday that it has enough oil. Until I can save up for a new or used engine. The car itself is in mint condition so I was thinking about putting a new 14+ engine in it because if I go used I dont want to end up with the same issue. Such a s*** situation to go through since I only had the car for a month prior to the issue. I've been having a hard time finding head gaskets or any parts for this car.
If the cylinders are scored that means the engine overheated badly and was continued to be driven. When the cylinders score, it means the pistons got so hot they expanded (as metal does when hot) until the point that the pistons were scraping the cylinder walls. Usually the engine will stall at this point and will run again after cooling down. But the damage has been done. The scored cylinder walls point to lengthy and severe overheat. Sludge etc point to lack of maintenance. Direct injection engines will have carbon build up on the valves but should not have sludge.

Mym56

The damage was done before I bought the car. I had only got to enjoy it for 3 or 4 weeks before it starting sputtering in 1st when I'd try to take off. I'm stripping the block tomorrow and having it sent out to get bored and honed and new pistons put in. So it'll be a few weeks or months until I get it back to reassemble. If the problem occurs I'm thinking of doing an ls7 swap. I love the car so hopefully cleaning the block and new pistons will fix the problem. And thanks Ed I actually found 2 web sites for parts, liaautoparts.com and bonitaspringsinfiniti.com. The dealer told me that the timing chain recall was fixed on my car but just incase I'm getting new timing chains and guides also.
Last edited by Mym56 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mym56

Also what about the faulty oil jets that was part of that recall, I should probably go ahead and replace those as well right? I couldn't find too much information about those online either.

satown210
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37
2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road

Mym56 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:01 pm
Also what about the faulty oil jets that was part of that recall, I should probably go ahead and replace those as well right? I couldn't find too much information about those online either.
You should be able to visually inspect the oil jets. The chain if stretched enough was hitting the oil jets damaging them. That's why some were replaced with the chain and some were not. Just depends if they were damaged by the stretched chain.

EdBwoy

Mym56 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:56 pm
... I'm stripping the block tomorrow and having it sent out to get bored and honed and new pistons put in...
Mym56 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:01 pm
If you don't mind, shoot me an email at EdBwoy at Gmail dot com. I'd like to understand what you are trying to do a little better and discuss options

Amgberg
Car: 2006 m45 sport blue tint, STR 20x10.5, full Megan exhaust.

2010 E63 ////AMG stock

Look online engines I’ve seen VK56VD go for $4000 have a mechanic installed labor should be $1000 do not go to the dealer when paying out of warranty they will rape you!

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

TeKNiX wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:16 pm
Add me as the 3rd Person, up until recently needs a new engine after the TC Recall.

It didn't even lasted until the next oil change. (6Km)

Anyone knows how to contact Infiniti Corporate?
I may be the 4th. 84K miles and the motor is knocking loudly. I'm on vacation now but when I get back I'll put it in the shop for an official diagnosis and will report back anything that I find.

EdBwoy

I look forward to the diagnosis, Reggie. Hoping for the best.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”