2011 m56s timing chain replacement

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Deezyweezy
Car: 2011 M56X

Ilya wrote:Holy crap. Yeah, ours is nothing like that.
Yeah, which I found oddly comforting. :chuckle:

good news I hope for both of us.

ibc
Car: Infiniti M56x

Yeah, mine doesn't sound like that, at all. Whew! No such chirping, no random rattling. I get always the same steady noise, then it goes away in about 15 seconds.

BlackCat81
Car: 2006 M35x
2003 Lexus GX470

For the record, that is DEFINITELY not the noise the chain makes. My guess would be somebody did chains on it and has the high pressure fuel pump timed a tooth off. That video is focused directly on the pump.

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

BlackCat81 wrote:When you first start a fuel injected car cold, it runs in what's called open loop operation. That simply means it's not relying on any input from the air/fuel sensors to either richen or lean the fuel mixture. It operates on a pre programmed set of parameters until it switches to closed loop. Closed loop operation uses air fuel sensors, among other components, to determine the correct air fuel ratio and adjusts mixtures precisely based on the sensors voltage input. That's why when you start your car cold in the morning it always smells like it's running rich, partially because it's in open loop and partially because a cold engine requires more fuel. I've never monitored VVEL action in open loop, but that's my reasoning as to why it sounds weird for a few seconds when you first start it. Once everything starts jiving together, the car runs much cleaner and more smoothly.

If you're still under powertrain you're good to go. If it's a friend of a friend I'd hope he'd just go ahead and take care of them for you, I know that's what I'd do. Even if nothing is done, at least you had the issue documented while still in powertrain warranty so you'll have a case if it needs when it's no longer covered.
Well that would explain the black soot on the exhaust tips...yeah that bugs me so I keep a rag in my garage to wipe them off every day. Glad you shared this - thanks! However, at my 60K service, I will mention the timing chain TSB to the techs and get them to check it out as others have done, to document the visit in case it does develop into an issue later.

About the powertrain warranty...will having a custom exhaust affect the warranty coverage? The engine itself is stock (no custom tunes, etc); I just have an X-pipe and straight pipes after the main cats and stock mufflers. I know custom tunes can be returned to stock. I kept the post cats and the Y-pipe/resonators just in case; just rather not have to reinstall all of it if I don't have to. If I recall, the last time I went in for a steering wheel vibration issue, the service advisor asked me if I made any modifications to the car. He may have been referring to any suspension or wheel mods that may have been the cause. At that time, I hadn't done the exhaust mod yet. I know from reading previous posts that several of us have custom exhausts, and I was just wondering if that would impact warranty coverage. Thanks again!

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

No, it will not. And if they say it does, they have to prove the aftermarket part caused the issue (Magnusson Moss Act). I'd lawyer up so fast it'd make their head spin if they ever denied warranty work for say an engine because I have custom wheels on.

adeedpb
Car: 2012 M56
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD
1995 Ford Taurus SHO (Supercharged) - SOLD

Before I put my exhaust on I spoke personally with my dealers top Service Manager and he assured me it would not affect the warranty.

Frog
Car: 2011 M56s

Ok picked up car from dealer. Parked in driveway 18 hours outside temp 55. Started car, sound still present, but about 50% less. It's still there but softer. So I would say as long as your sound is not to loud then your good to go. I took some recordings of the sound b4 and after from the same place in the engine compartment. If needed I'll get a YouTube account and upload them.

By the way they replace almost everything from the guides to the chain.

Deezyweezy

BlackCat81 wrote:
Deezyweezy wrote:The tech I talked to suggested a noise that occurs at cold start, then goes away in less than a minute "may" be unrelated to the timing chain. I love the car, day three of ownership, but man the timing chain has me puckered! I'll keep you posted on my results and certainly let me know what you guys have seen.
I can't say for certain, but I think the noise has something to do with the high pressure fuel pump, VVT, and open loop operation during warmup. Once the car goes closed loop and is using the air fuel sensors to adjust the air fuel ratio, the motor smooths out and the noise goes away. The 5.6 is a noisy motor, and every one I've seen has the same noise.

BlackCat, thanks again for the great explanation on the startup noise, all indications are that you are absolutely spot on. One other question, I do get a high freq noise that occurs pretty much at every acceleration that was deemed "normal" during the drive test. I get the wonderful rumble of the engine but it has an absolute overlay sound that is present as I accelerate, especially if I'm really getting after it on an acceleration, but not present once I reach speed. The techs drove my car and said that they didn't hear anything that was abnormal for the M56x. They even had another guy who worked there and owned a M56x drive mine and he said nothing sounding unusual. Has that been your experience as well? When I listen to videos on-line I hear engine only...no "whine" if you will. Any idea what this "might" be related to or is this really just normal? The tech said the V8 isn't as refined as the higher production level V6's but I just want to ensure this isn't something...I'm going to have them check it again at 35K miles when my next oil change occurs I guess.

Thoughts?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Does it sound like a supercharger whine? Might be an air leak near the intake?

Frog
Car: 2011 M56s

It's the exact same niose just softer and it still goes away after 15 seconds. My guess our cars always made this sound just it gets louder as the wear takes place.

Deezyweezy

Ilya wrote:Does it sound like a supercharger whine? Might be an air leak near the intake?

It does! exactly like a supercharger whine. huh...just reseat the air filter and/or cap? or housing?

Ilya

Might be a torn rubber boot or something connecting the intake pieces. This sometimes happens on some cars when you switch to CAI's, etc.

Deezyweezy

Ilya wrote:Might be a torn rubber boot or something connecting the intake pieces. This sometimes happens on some cars when you switch to CAI's, etc.
Thx...I'll check it out.

BlackCat81
Car: 2006 M35x
2003 Lexus GX470

Deezyweezy wrote:
BlackCat, thanks again for the great explanation on the startup noise, all indications are that you are absolutely spot on. One other question, I do get a high freq noise that occurs pretty much at every acceleration that was deemed "normal" during the drive test. I get the wonderful rumble of the engine but it has an absolute overlay sound that is present as I accelerate, especially if I'm really getting after it on an acceleration, but not present once I reach speed. The techs drove my car and said that they didn't hear anything that was abnormal for the M56x. They even had another guy who worked there and owned a M56x drive mine and he said nothing sounding unusual. Has that been your experience as well? When I listen to videos on-line I hear engine only...no "whine" if you will. Any idea what this "might" be related to or is this really just normal? The tech said the V8 isn't as refined as the higher production level V6's but I just want to ensure this isn't something...I'm going to have them check it again at 35K miles when my next oil change occurs I guess.

Thoughts?
The transmissions can make a whine type noise under heavy/moderate acceleration too. Totally normal.
I bought a trailblazer SS when they first came out in 06 and that trans whined like a spoiled brat on heavy acceleration. Just so happens to be in the design. I'd assume it's got to do with how something is shimmed or something to that effect.

All in all, I'm sure after reading through this thread everyone is now hyper sensitive to noises their cars are making. I can't stress enough how well built and reliable they are and to maybe take a step back, pop a cold beer, stare at it in all its glory for a bit, and keep on keepin' on. :)

Deezyweezy

BlackCat81 wrote:
Deezyweezy wrote:

Thoughts?
The transmissions can make a whine type noise under heavy/moderate acceleration too. Totally normal.
I bought a trailblazer SS when they first came out in 06 and that trans whined like a spoiled brat on heavy acceleration. Just so happens to be in the design. I'd assume it's got to do with how something is shimmed or something to that effect.

All in all, I'm sure after reading through this thread everyone is now hyper sensitive to noises their cars are making. I can't stress enough how well built and reliable they are and to maybe take a step back, pop a cold beer, stare at it in all its glory for a bit, and keep on keepin' on. :)
:chuckle: Amen to that BlackCat! Love the car, absolute beast.

Ilya

Yeah, it could be tranny too. Mine has a little whine/whistle when I get on it next to a wall (such as an underpass/tunnel) too...I actually like it lol.

Big_Tone
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x (White w Java interior; Tech Pkg)
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Custom 2 1/4” exhaust with Jones Exhaust X-Pipe
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Just bought a 2011 M56x last week. I was concerned about the noise I heard in the morning on a cold start too, until I heard the sound in the link. My car sounds nothing like that. I'm relieved to hear that the sounds my car makes on a cold start for the first 10-15 seconds is normal.

Ilya

Which link? There has been a few. If it's only 10-15 seconds, most people seem to think it's fine although some of us are trying to get the stuff replaced regardless for peace of mind. If it's the link of the rattling, etc. that lasts a lot longer, then yes...

Big_Tone
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x (White w Java interior; Tech Pkg)
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Custom 2 1/4” exhaust with Jones Exhaust X-Pipe
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Ilya wrote:Which link? There has been a few. If it's only 10-15 seconds, most people seem to think it's fine although some of us are trying to get the stuff replaced regardless for peace of mind. If it's the link of the rattling, etc. that lasts a lot longer, then yes...
The link of the QX56 that was posted. It doesn't sound anything like my car does on a cold start.

betzgb
Car: 2012 QX56

Does anyone happen to have a parts list for a QX56 timing chain replacement? I need to do this and replace the high pressure fuel pump camshaft and lifter. Thanks!

Malbec 56 Beast
Car: 2013 Infiniti M66xS Totaled 4/11/20
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy
1983 Porsche 928 S Euro (Sold) 2/17/20

I'd go to your local Infiniti dealer and they should get you all the part numbers and prices. That way you can compare when you go looking on the web.

I also like to use Rockauto and look up parts from there list.

Good luck

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

betzgb wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:15 pm
Does anyone happen to have a parts list for a QX56 timing chain replacement? I need to do this and replace the high pressure fuel pump camshaft and lifter. Thanks!
You might want to ask this in the QX forum, but here's the parts for both M56 and QX56:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/ ... 1-2280.pdf

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”