2011 m56s timing chain replacement

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
BlackCat81
Car: 2006 M35x
2003 Lexus GX470

reggiebrown40 wrote:Blackcat81, you say that you've replaced 30 or more QX56 timing chains and only ONE M56/Q70 5.6 timing chain. How can you say that the issue is with all 5.6 motors? What model years are you replacing?. Also, the QX56's motor looks nothing like the M56's from what I can see, so I'm willing to bet they are very different. From my past experience Infiniti TSB's are VERY specific in that they include all models affected. the TSB that was posted at no point references the M56. The TSB for the QX56 is below:

-REVISED-
2011-2013 INFINITI QX56; WHINE NOISE FROM ENGINE AREA
A whine type noise is coming from the Bank 2 (B2) side of the timing chain system.
• The noise is best heard from the high pressure fuel pump area.
• The noise should increase in frequency with engine speed (RPM).
• If the noise does not increase with engine speed, the timing chain system may not be the cause.
Refer to the appropriate section of the Electronic Service Manual (ESM) for further diagnosis.

Also, your posts state that if you hear the whine for 15 seconds during a cold start up that it's the timing chain. Then in another post you say it may not be the chain if it whines. I'm confused because the information you're giving is very conflicted. Several members of the board have the exact same issue for their M56's and 1 or 2 have had the timing chain replaced (CRV_33 comes to mind) and STILL have the whine. Based on your last post, how is this possible?

I've researched by googling QX56 whine and I find that most complain that the whine lasts for 10 MINUTES, not 15 seconds.

Are you replacing the QX56's with a newly designed timing chain or the exact same one as before? If it's not a newly designed timing chain, how can you say that it won't fail again as early as 20K miles?

I just need to get some consistent information here. I'm going to the dealership in 2 hours and I'm going to cold start a new Q70 5.6 to see if the problem still exists if possible. Too much inconsistent information is being posted and is causing widespread panic IMO.
First off, relax. I never said I've replaced 30, I said our shop as a whole has probably done around that number. The chain noise is very easy to pick out, it's basically just like the bulletin states. A whine noise when revving the motor cold. I don't recall stating it only lasts 10 seconds, I don't know where you got that from. As a matter of fact, if the chain is stretched enough, the noise is constant and will not go away after any amount of time. I don't know if the chains I'm replacing are a revised version, which I've also previously mentioned. Remember, I didn't design the car, I didn't build the car, I didn't break the car. I just fix it. The majority of them are 2011's, I've done a 2014 with 22,000 miles on it though. And your opinion on the motors being different is completely wrong. As a matter of fact, the same parts are ordered to replace the chains on a QX56 as they are on an M56. I'm sorry you don't think they "look" similar. We do mostly QX56's simply because they're more common, at least around here. There's not too many M56's. And since in your experience Infiniti TSB's are very specific and make no mention of the M56, you're wrong again.

My goal isn't to cause widespread panic, as a matter of fact I think you're doing more of it by putting words in my mouth and posting misinformation. I don't know what to tell you. I work on them on a daily basis. Will EVERY one have issues? I doubt it. Do a lot of them? Yes. I've also mentioned previously that every one I've done, or that our shop has done, has been done under warranty. And I'll say it again, they're amazing cars. The timing chain issue wouldn't deter me for a second from buying one. I'm not trying to steer people away from them, I actually can't speak highly enough about how great they are. I can just post what I see when I go to work. If it's bothering people, I can stop offering advice and help, either way I won't lose any sleep over it.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Definitely don't stop posting. I, for one, as a moderator LOVE having someone who has access and the knowledge of being a tech. People are just a little worried because of the few threads that have come up as a result of this mysterious whine that we all hear.

The fact that the screenshot posted states QX56 and M56 in the same sentence and has whine noise (which everyone could infer differently) is enough for me. I'm going to try and get this done whether my car needs it at THIS MOMENT or not. I'm about to end my warranty, would rather pay $100 deductible than POSSIBLY $4-5k in 24 months.

If, like one member, the whine is still there after replacement then fine...but at least I know it was looked at, documented, etc.

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

I'm relaxed.

When I said you, I meant you and your dealership. You said you're replacing 5.6 motor timing chains almost daily and that all 5.6 motors are affected, and you said it's not a matter of if but when. If you do not see how this could cause a widespread panic then I don't know what to tell you. Everyone here who's hearing the sound freaked out because they know how expensive the repair would be. I did not mean for you to get all bent out of shape. I was just looking for more information. Everyone who described the issue they were having said that it only lasts for 10-15 seconds, and maybe that's where the disconnect was.

If you decide to not offer advice I won't lose sleep over it either. But don't get upset if someone questions your information, especially if you repeatedly jump the fence.

BlackCat81
2003 Lexus GX470

reggiebrown40 wrote:I'm relaxed.

When I said you, I meant you and your dealership. You said you're replacing 5.6 motor timing chains almost daily and that all 5.6 motors are affected, and you said it's not a matter of if but when. If you do not see how this could cause a widespread panic then I don't know what to tell you. Everyone here who's hearing the sound freaked out because they know how expensive the repair would be. I did not mean for you to get all bent out of shape. I was just looking for more information. Everyone who described the issue they were having said that it only lasts for 10-15 seconds, and maybe that's where the disconnect was.

If you decide to not offer advice I won't lose sleep over it either. But don't get upset if someone questions your information, especially if you repeatedly jump the fence.
That's where the disconnect is coming from. There's 2 separate noises we're discussing here. One being the chain whine, and the other being an undetermined noise at startup that most if not all M56s seem to make. I mentioned to Ilya that the M56 I just did chains on made the same noise at startup, and continues to do so. I dont blame him for taking it in and having it documented though, that's the smart thing to do. I understand the concern, but it seems everyone hears "timing chain replacement" and goes ballistic, and skims right over where I've mentioned multiple times that every.single.one. We've done here has been covered by warranty, nor has one we've done come back a second time for replacement. I dont know if they're using an updated chain, or an updated oil jet, or an updated anything. That information is not provided to me. For someone who claims they don't mind if no longer continue to help out around here, you sure are quick to make assumptions instead of politely asking to clarify like everyone else around here seems to do. I don't have all the answers, but I certainly have access to more information on the issue than you do.

Frog
Car: 2011 M56s

Black cat. Your posts have always been top notch. Keep it up

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this subject BlackCat81. It is appreciated.

I have priced out the parts needed for this job and they come out around $500. The only issues I would have completing this on my own would be getting the special tool(s) for the Oil Jet removal and installation. Do you actually use these special tools when you replace the Oil Jet?

Below is the other part that is slightly worrisome. Have you ever determined that the block needed to be replaced while replacing the Oil Jet?

• Determine if oil jet replacement is possible by inserting the gauge pin into the block’s hole:
    • If the gauge pin cannot be inserted in the hole more than 3 mm, oil jet replacement can be completed. Go to Install Oil Jet below.
    • If the pin can be inserted in the hole more than 3 mm, this repair cannot be performed. Replace the “short engine” (short block) assembly.
    NOTE: The gauge pin comes with essential tool J-51269 Oil jet Remover/Installer Kit.

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

reggiebrown40 wrote:Blackcat81, you say that you've replaced 30 or more QX56 timing chains and only ONE M56/Q70 5.6 timing chain. How can you say that the issue is with all 5.6 motors? What model years are you replacing?. Also, the QX56's motor looks nothing like the M56's from what I can see, so I'm willing to bet they are very different. From my past experience Infiniti TSB's are VERY specific in that they include all models affected. the TSB that was posted at no point references the M56. The TSB for the QX56 is below:

-REVISED-
2011-2013 INFINITI QX56; WHINE NOISE FROM ENGINE AREA
A whine type noise is coming from the Bank 2 (B2) side of the timing chain system.
• If the noise does not increase with engine speed, the timing chain system may not be the cause.
Refer to the appropriate section of the Electronic Service Manual (ESM) for further diagnosis.

Also, your posts state that if you hear the whine for 15 seconds during a cold start up that it's the timing chain. Then in another post you say it may not be the chain if it whines. I'm confused because the information you're giving is very conflicted. Several members of the board have the exact same issue for their M56's and 1 or 2 have had the timing chain replaced (CRV_33 comes to mind) and STILL have the whine. Based on your last post, how is this possible?

I've researched by googling QX56 whine and I find that most complain that the whine lasts for 10 MINUTES, not 15 seconds.

Are you replacing the QX56's with a newly designed timing chain or the exact same one as before? If it's not a newly designed timing chain, how can you say that it won't fail again as early as 20K miles?

I just need to get some consistent information here. I'm going to the dealership in 2 hours and I'm going to cold start a new Q70 5.6 to see if the problem still exists if possible. Too much inconsistent information is being posted and is causing widespread panic IMO.
Actually, the updated TSB does include the M56...I copied and pasted part of it from the .pdf file I downloaded:

2011 - 2013 QX56 AND M56; WHINE NOISE FROM ENGINE AREAAPPLIED VEHICLES: 2011- 2013 QX56 (Z62) 2011- 2013 M56 (Y51)
IF YOU CONFIRM:
• If the noise does not increase with engine speed, the timing chain system may not be the cause. Refer to the appropriate section of the Electronic Service Manual (ESM) for further diagnosis.
ACTION:
Replace the B2 oil jet, both timing chains, both crankshaft sprockets, and all guides listed in PARTS INFORMATION (page 2).
• Always replace all seals, o-rings and gaskets.
• Replace repair-related components as necessary.
• For repair procedure, refer to SERVICE PROCEDURE (starting on page 4).
• For QX56: Use Oil Jet Remover/Installer Kit J-51269 for oil jet removal, inspection, and installation.
• For M56: Use Installer J- 51316 along with Oil Jet Remover/Installer Kit J-51269 for oil jet removal, inspection, and installation.NOTE: Essential Service Tool Oil Jet Remover/Installer Kit J-51269 was shipped April 2013 to all Infiniti dealerships. Dealer non-vehicle accounts were charged $140.82 plus applicable taxes and freight. Essential Service Tool Oil Jet Installer J- 51316 (for M56) was shipped August 2013 with dealer non-vehicle accounts charged $99.85 plus applicable taxes and freight.
Oil Jet Remover/Installer Kit J-51269 contains:
J-51269-1 Remover
J-51269-2 Installer
Gauge Pin – GO/NO-GO
IMPORTANT: The purpose of ACTION above is to give you a quick idea of the work you will be performing. You MUST closely follow the entire SERVICE PROCEDURE as it contains information that is essential to successfully completing this repair.
Infiniti Bulletins are intended for use by qualified technicians, not 'do-it-yourselfers'. Qualified technicians are properly trained individuals who have the equipment, tools, safety instruction, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. NOTE: If you believe that a described condition may apply to a particular vehicle, DO NOT assume that it does. See your Infiniti dealer to determine if this applies to your vehicle.
This bulletin has been amended. Several changes have been made to accommodate inclusion of M56 vehicles. Please discard previous versions of this bulletin.

Hope this helps!

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

BlackCat81 wrote:
reggiebrown40 wrote:I'm relaxed.

That's where the disconnect is coming from. There's 2 separate noises we're discussing here. One being the chain whine, and the other being an undetermined noise at startup that most if not all M56s seem to make. I mentioned to Ilya that the M56 I just did chains on made the same noise at startup, and continues to do so. I dont blame him for taking it in and having it documented though, that's the smart thing to do. I understand the concern, but it seems everyone hears "timing chain replacement" and goes ballistic, and skims right over where I've mentioned multiple times that every.single.one. We've done here has been covered by warranty, nor has one we've done come back a second time for replacement. I dont know if they're using an updated chain, or an updated oil jet, or an updated anything. That information is not provided to me. For someone who claims they don't mind if no longer continue to help out around here, you sure are quick to make assumptions instead of politely asking to clarify like everyone else around here seems to do. I don't have all the answers, but I certainly have access to more information on the issue than you do.
This will be the last post from me on this subject.

I question all information. It's in my nature, until I'm completely satisfied with the answer, to question everything. I don't think I was disrespectful in how I asked my questions to you, but you took it that way. Your posts about the subject were inconsistent. You said it was the timing chain, then you said it's not the timing chain, then you said it was the timing chain again. You say we are discussing 2 separate issues here and that may be true. You were given a description of the sound that was being heard, in addition to its duration, and you gave an answer which was unrelated, even by your own admission. After reading your post I felt as though my car was a ticking time bomb.

The consensus is that you are an asset to the forum. I have no intention of skewing that opinion.

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

BlackCat81 wrote:I can't say for certain, but I think the noise has something to do with the high pressure fuel pump, VVT, and open loop operation during warmup. Once the car goes closed loop and is using the air fuel sensors to adjust the air fuel ratio, the motor smooths out and the noise goes away. The 5.6 is a noisy motor, and every one I've seen has the same noise.
I am inclined to believe you, regarding my 2012 M56x. I didn't really notice this until I deleted my post cats and resonators and went with straight pipes. Cold start exhaust sounds like NASCAR for about 15 seconds or so, with a very slight low pitched whine for the first 5 seconds of that, then the exhaust quiets down to normal (a little louder than stock), like someone turned the volume knob down. if you don't mind, please explain about the open loop operation during warm up.

Thanks for your input and information!

Frog

I just got the call from the dealer, the timing chain showed signs of wear. not extreme wear but they said it would continue and get extreme. I use mobile 1 every 5k since new. So that's my story. I will pick the car up tomorrow and see if the whine is gone with a cold start.

ibc
Car: Infiniti M56x

Blackcat, thanks for your participation here. You're awesome!

Fascinating discussion. Yes, my M56x has the same 15-second cold startup noise, even at 21K miles. Scary!
I read the TSB (ITB13-009a.pdf) too.

Question 1: why replace only the B2 oil jet? Why not both? Is the new jet really any different than the old? Or just more susceptible to wear due to chain proximity?

Q2: Is the problem really a lack of oil? I presume that's what caused premature wear on both chains, both sprockets, B2 oil jet, tensioners, and guides? So they all need replacement.

Q3: Is this 15-second noise possibly related to the Power Steering reservoir noise posted by adeedpb?
post6677440.html?hilit=power%20steering ... e#p6672886

BlackCat81
2003 Lexus GX470

Debonair wrote:Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this subject BlackCat81. It is appreciated.

I have priced out the parts needed for this job and they come out around $500. The only issues I would have completing this on my own would be getting the special tool(s) for the Oil Jet removal and installation. Do you actually use these special tools when you replace the Oil Jet?

Below is the other part that is slightly worrisome. Have you ever determined that the block needed to be replaced while replacing the Oil Jet?

• Determine if oil jet replacement is possible by inserting the gauge pin into the block’s hole:
    • If the gauge pin cannot be inserted in the hole more than 3 mm, oil jet replacement can be completed. Go to Install Oil Jet below.
    • If the pin can be inserted in the hole more than 3 mm, this repair cannot be performed. Replace the “short engine” (short block) assembly.
    NOTE: The gauge pin comes with essential tool J-51269 Oil jet Remover/Installer Kit.
I've never once come across one that wasn't within spec. You can do it without the special tool, it'll take some special witchcraft, but it can be done. Getting the new one in at the correct angle is the important part, otherwise you won't be spraying the chain. the only way I can see getting it in without the special tool is to lightly tap it in place until it bottoms out with a small metal hammer. If you oblong the hole and the jet doesn't stay in place, you'll lose oil pressure and the short block will be toast. Props to you for attempting it on your own. I can't stress enough, and I'm sure you're aware, your timing marks need to be exactly, 100% on, even for the high pressure fuel pump gear. Don't freak out when you get everything right where it's supposed to be and you pull the tensioner off and the cams snap way out of place. You can move them back by hand and get it all aligned again. If you have ANY questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Last edited by BlackCat81 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackCat81
2003 Lexus GX470

ibc wrote:Blackcat, thanks for your participation here. You're awesome!

Fascinating discussion. Yes, my M56x has the same 15-second cold startup noise, even at 21K miles. Scary!
I read the TSB (ITB13-009a.pdf) too.

Question 1: why replace only the B2 oil jet? Why not both? Is the new jet really any different than the old? Or just more susceptible to wear due to chain proximity?

Q2: Is the problem really a lack of oil? I presume that's what caused premature wear on both chains, both sprockets, B2 oil jet, tensioners, and guides? So they all need replacement.

Q3: Is this 15-second noise possibly related to the Power Steering reservoir noise posted by adeedpb?
post6677440.html?hilit=power%20steering ... e#p6672886
I'm not sure why it's only bank 2. For some reason the drivers side isn't affected, but the chain is replaced anyways. Only the passenger side chain wears. The drivers side, in all the ones I've done, has never been even remotely worn. The new jet looks identical to the old one, I'll see if I have an old one laying around at work and snap a pic of where the chain rubs on it creating the noise.

My personal opinion, and I could totally be wrong, is that direct injected motors don't run very cleanly. There's no fuel spray to clean the back of the valves off so they get really cruddy. Infiniti states it's normal and their engineers are a lot smarter than I am, but I think over time small bits of carbon break loose and plug the oil jet. It's literally the size of a pinhole and can clog very easily. I think it then creates a lot of heat and stretches the chain. That's just my theory though.

BlackCat81
2003 Lexus GX470

armybrat wrote:
BlackCat81 wrote:I can't say for certain, but I think the noise has something to do with the high pressure fuel pump, VVT, and open loop operation during warmup. Once the car goes closed loop and is using the air fuel sensors to adjust the air fuel ratio, the motor smooths out and the noise goes away. The 5.6 is a noisy motor, and every one I've seen has the same noise.
I am inclined to believe you, regarding my 2012 M56x. I didn't really notice this until I deleted my post cats and resonators and went with straight pipes. Cold start exhaust sounds like NASCAR for about 15 seconds or so, with a very slight low pitched whine for the first 5 seconds of that, then the exhaust quiets down to normal (a little louder than stock), like someone turned the volume knob down. if you don't mind, please explain about the open loop operation during warm up.

Thanks for your input and information!
When you first start a fuel injected car cold, it runs in what's called open loop operation. That simply means it's not relying on any input from the air/fuel sensors to either richen or lean the fuel mixture. It operates on a pre programmed set of parameters until it switches to closed loop. Closed loop operation uses air fuel sensors, among other components, to determine the correct air fuel ratio and adjusts mixtures precisely based on the sensors voltage input. That's why when you start your car cold in the morning it always smells like it's running rich, partially because it's in open loop and partially because a cold engine requires more fuel. I've never monitored VVEL action in open loop, but that's my reasoning as to why it sounds weird for a few seconds when you first start it. Once everything starts jiving together, the car runs much cleaner and more smoothly.

BlackCat81
2003 Lexus GX470

reggiebrown40 wrote:
This will be the last post from me on this subject.

I question all information. It's in my nature, until I'm completely satisfied with the answer, to question everything. I don't think I was disrespectful in how I asked my questions to you, but you took it that way. Your posts about the subject were inconsistent. You said it was the timing chain, then you said it's not the timing chain, then you said it was the timing chain again. You say we are discussing 2 separate issues here and that may be true. You were given a description of the sound that was being heard, in addition to its duration, and you gave an answer which was unrelated, even by your own admission. After reading your post I felt as though my car was a ticking time bomb.

The consensus is that you are an asset to the forum. I have no intention of skewing that opinion.
No hard feelings, we're strangers and it's hard to gauge someone's tone via text. I've been a bit grumpy lately since I've been replacing 2 JX35 transmissions under warranty this week and my mind and body hate me right now, so I apologize if I came off harsh. It wasn't my intention.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Frog wrote:I just got the call from the dealer, the timing chain showed signs of wear. not extreme wear but they said it would continue and get extreme. I use mobile 1 every 5k since new. So that's my story. I will pick the car up tomorrow and see if the whine is gone with a cold start.
I use Mobile 1 (0W-40 though) myself. Will be curious to hear your report. The fact that you had the same issue as me and that the jets weren't the issue but chain already showed signs of wear is good to know.

Deezyweezy
Car: 2011 M56X

BlackCat81 wrote:
Deezyweezy wrote:The tech I talked to suggested a noise that occurs at cold start, then goes away in less than a minute "may" be unrelated to the timing chain. I love the car, day three of ownership, but man the timing chain has me puckered! I'll keep you posted on my results and certainly let me know what you guys have seen.
I can't say for certain, but I think the noise has something to do with the high pressure fuel pump, VVT, and open loop operation during warmup. Once the car goes closed loop and is using the air fuel sensors to adjust the air fuel ratio, the motor smooths out and the noise goes away. The 5.6 is a noisy motor, and every one I've seen has the same noise.
BlackCat, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what will happen but I'm working with a very good Infiniti Tech who is a friend of a friend here in Lexington, KY so I'm optimistic I'll get a resolution. Good news is I'm still good to go on drive train warranty so here's to hoping we get to a comfortable place that doesn't involve me shelling out $4K. I left the car tonight for a cold start test tomorrow, stay tuned.

BlackCat81
2003 Lexus GX470

Deezyweezy wrote:
BlackCat, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what will happen but I'm working with a very good Infiniti Tech who is a friend of a friend here in Lexington, KY so I'm optimistic I'll get a resolution. Good news is I'm still good to go on drive train warranty so here's to hoping we get to a comfortable place that doesn't involve me shelling out $4K. I left the car tonight for a cold start test tomorrow, stay tuned.
If you're still under powertrain you're good to go. If it's a friend of a friend I'd hope he'd just go ahead and take care of them for you, I know that's what I'd do. Even if nothing is done, at least you had the issue documented while still in powertrain warranty so you'll have a case if it needs when it's no longer covered.

Ilya

If you're willing to push some buttons...all the M56 guys with warranties will be at your shop soon...lol. Overtime pay for you hahah.

BlackCat81
2003 Lexus GX470

Ilya wrote:If you're willing to push some buttons...all the M56 guys with warranties will be at your shop soon...lol. Overtime pay for you hahah.
Bring them on over! Pays me 12.4hrs to do under warranty and it's much easier than the QX56 which pays me 12.5hrs.

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

BlackCat81 wrote:I've never once come across one that wasn't within spec. You can do it without the special tool, it'll take some special witchcraft, but it can be done. Getting the new one in at the correct angle is the important part, otherwise you won't be spraying the chain. the only way I can see getting it in without the special tool is to lightly tap it in place until it bottoms out with a small metal hammer. If you oblong the hole and the jet doesn't stay in place, you'll lose oil pressure and the short block will be toast. Props to you for attempting it on your own. I can't stress enough, and I'm sure you're aware, your timing marks need to be exactly, 100% on, even for the high pressure fuel pump gear. Don't freak out when you get everything right where it's supposed to be and you pull the tensioner off and the cams snap way out of place. You can move them back by hand and get it all aligned again. If you have ANY questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Thank you for the info. Sounds like I would want to have the tool or leave it to the dealer. Thank you for the info and tips. :bigthumb:

ibc
Car: Infiniti M56x

I wonder if it's related to this tensioner problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Nb2Y8IWjM

BlackCat81
2003 Lexus GX470

ibc wrote:I wonder if it's related to this tensioner problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Nb2Y8IWjM
No, totally different. In the 5.6 repair, you don't even replace the tensioners. Just the guides, which technically don't even need to be replaced either.

Frog

Well I took a pic of the engine apart. But can't post it yet. Should be done tomorrow! What did the few people that were doing a cold start find out?

Deezyweezy

BlackCat81 wrote:
Deezyweezy wrote:
If you're still under powertrain you're good to go. If it's a friend of a friend I'd hope he'd just go ahead and take care of them for you, I know that's what I'd do. Even if nothing is done, at least you had the issue documented while still in powertrain warranty so you'll have a case if it needs when it's no longer covered.
Well, good news, timing chain evidently is good to go but no real explanation (beyond yours BlackCat) for the cold start noise...sadly when they kept her overnight she didn't make the noise at first startup according to the tech, so, I shared the vid from youtube and told them mine is identical...the tech said he had never heard that before so your answer is the best I've got! Good news is all indications are that I'm good, bad news is I'm still riding around with the original timing chain but I'm sure (or hope) I'll be okay! Maybe I'll offer a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle to get them to do the fix proactively while under warranty!

Thanks guys and good luck.

Ilya

^^ that is some serious BS and I'm actually kinda mad on your behalf lol. Your friend of a friend Infiniti tech probably didn't even look at the car. That noise happens 100% of the time on cold start and for them to say it didn't do it the one day they had it? This is why people hate dealerships. :mad:

They often times will lie to get out of something. Not all, but many of them do which is why people hate them.

I had a similar issue with my suspension on my 07 M35x (dealer trying to get out of doing work). They sent me to do a ride along with some rookie asswipe who I probably could run circles around in the shop. He came back and told the service manager that he didn't hear anything or feel anything wrong with the car. I left mad. Called Infinit corporate, got a case number, provided that number to my service advisor. Within an hour, I got an email from the general manager of that dealership and the service manager promised to send his most senior tech out for a ride with me. Low and behold, bad steering rack. Sr. Tech knew something was up immediately and after a 30 minute ride he put it on the lift and within 5 minutes found the issue (bad bushings).

At least you have it documented that the car is in good health so if something does happen, perhaps Infiniti corporate would be willing to listen.

Deezyweezy

Ilya wrote:^^ that is some serious BS and I'm actually kinda mad on your behalf lol. Your friend of a friend Infiniti tech probably didn't even look at the car. That noise happens 100% of the time on cold start and for them to say it didn't do it the one day they had it? This is why people hate dealerships. :mad:

They often times will lie to get out of something. Not all, but many of them do which is why people hate them.

I had a similar issue with my suspension on my 07 M35x (dealer trying to get out of doing work). They sent me to do a ride along with some rookie asswipe who I probably could run circles around in the shop. He came back and told the service manager that he didn't hear anything or feel anything wrong with the car. I left mad. Called Infinit corporate, got a case number, provided that number to my service advisor. Within an hour, I got an email from the general manager of that dealership and the service manager promised to send his most senior tech out for a ride with me. Low and behold, bad steering rack. Sr. Tech knew something was up immediately and after a 30 minute ride he put it on the lift and within 5 minutes found the issue (bad bushings).
In his defense he didn't do the work today evidently: two "master techs" did the work. The service manager told me they weren't able to duplicate, they did keep it indoors overnight given threats of hail in the area but it does it in my garage in the morning so I'm not sure. The two techs evidently did another rev test, drove it, and did the startup cold start and deemed it as "all is well". I shared the video on this page and he sent back a video of an actual timing chain issue and I can say mine does not sound like that at all. I do feel somewhat better knowing the initial prognosis from BlackCat suggests what I'm hearing is not an issue, but agree with you that it is frustrating. I'll record my car tomorrow and send their way as I'm sure it will do it when I fire it up tomorrow AM in my garage and see what happens.

Take care.

Ilya

"Couldn't duplicate" - dealerships favorite line until something actually breaks.

What was the video they sent you?

Deezyweezy

Ilya wrote:"Couldn't duplicate" - dealerships favorite line until something actually breaks.

What was the video they sent you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHelOl07Tlw

hopefully that works for ya, it is a 2011 QX56, but he suggested the noise would be more along those lines as opposed to the one I sent him from this forum.

Ilya

Holy crap. Yeah, ours is nothing like that.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”