2011 M56 Engine Noise

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
jmissile
Car: 2011 m56s

:dblthumb: Wow this is terrific news

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Awesome! I haven't gotten around to calling my dealer since we first started to discuss this issue although I had a parts guy at my dealer (who happens to be in a local car facebook group) tell me to bring it in because I wasn't sure if Service would have the same thought as Parts (who probably sees trends based on what parts he's stocking). Glad to know that I'm guarantee to have the work done...definitely going to do in a few weeks when I have a couple of days off.

Will they replace the motor if it hasn't been destroyed yet but is showing signs of issues? That would be awesome haha...get a 0kmi motor cause of this. I would not mind one bit.

YAY!

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

Ilya wrote:...Will they replace the motor if it hasn't been destroyed yet but is showing signs of issues? That would be awesome haha...get a 0kmi motor cause of this. I would not mind one bit. YAY!
Actually yes they will, if the oil jet hole in the block is compromised...from the TSB:

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Nice! lol

tlaspec
Car: M56x

I had the timing chain TSB done back in FEB and can confirm that the start up noise is still present. I have noticed through a engine code reader I have that the noise is only present in morning when the engine is in open loop operation. After the engine goes to closed loop the revs change a little bit and the noise is completely gone.

I'm guess that when the outside temps are higher the engine goes into close loop operation faster and thats the reason the noise is less noticeable in the summer.

Nevertheless, the timing chain failure stories had a lot of M56/QX56 owners worried about their cars and I'm glad to see infiniti finally owning up and resolving this issue through an official Recall. Hopefully anyone out of warranty and paid 5k for their fix under the TSB before will also be reimbursed. IMO recall should be been rolled out when the TSB was issued.

Ilya

tlaspec wrote:I had the timing chain TSB done back in FEB and can confirm that the start up noise is still present. I have noticed through a engine code reader I have that the noise is only present in morning when the engine is in open loop operation. After the engine goes to closed loop the revs change a little bit and the noise is completely gone.

I'm guess that when the outside temps are higher the engine goes into close loop operation faster and thats the reason the noise is less noticeable in the summer.

Nevertheless, the timing chain failure stories had a lot of M56/QX56 owners worried about their cars and I'm glad to see infiniti finally owning up and resolving this issue through an official Recall. Hopefully anyone out of warranty and paid 5k for their fix under the TSB before will also be reimbursed. IMO recall should be been rolled out when the TSB was issued.
That lines up with what our resident tech said and some others as well. I'm okay with the noise as long as I know the engine isn't bout to blow lol...so if it's normal, it is what it is. But this recall is, literally, a god send. It will ease a LOT of concerns I had about this motor lasting me another 4-5 years (I keep my cars 5-7 years).

BlackCat81
Car: 2006 M35x
2003 Lexus GX470

Ilya wrote:
tlaspec wrote:I had the timing chain TSB done back in FEB and can confirm that the start up noise is still present. I have noticed through a engine code reader I have that the noise is only present in morning when the engine is in open loop operation. After the engine goes to closed loop the revs change a little bit and the noise is completely gone.

That lines up with what our resident tech said and some others as well. I'm okay with the noise as long as I know the engine isn't bout to blow lol...so if it's normal, it is what it is. But this recall is, literally, a god send. It will ease a LOT of concerns I had about this motor lasting me another 4-5 years (I keep my cars 5-7 years).
I still don't know if we're going to have to replace all the chains we've already replaced previously with this new recall. The parts list on the recall is much larger than the TSB parts list. It'll be interesting to see what comes down the pipeline in the next few weeks. And FWIW, the dealer I'm at has never had to replace a short block due to an enlarged oil jet hole. I'm not sure how common that is. You'd think if the hole was oblong or enlarged somehow, the oil jet wouldn't even stay in position. Anyways, it's good news for you V8 guys, that's fo sho!

spirod
Car: 2011 M56S

@ BlackCat81 : QX56 owners are saying that their cats have been damaged by the timing chain issue and are advising other members to have the dealer check the cats when the trucks are in for the timing chain recall. I don't understand how the timing chain issue could also damage the cats?
I know on DI engines, the cats can get blocked with carbon deposits. Dealer even said to redline the motor often to help get rid of the deposits. Which I do anyways - just the way I like driving my cars.
What are your thoughts? thanks.

Ilya

Hmm...yeah I don't know how it would damage the cats either but the more information we have the better. Going to be calling sometime this week to get this scheduled.

flip4prez
Car: 2012 m56x blk.

Mine goes in on the 25th for the recall. Curious exactly what parts are they going to replace besides the timing belt, and oil jet

adeedpb
Car: 2012 M56
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD
1995 Ford Taurus SHO (Supercharged) - SOLD

Haha that's my date too

armybrat
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

flip4prez wrote:Mine goes in on the 25th for the recall. Curious exactly what parts are they going to replace besides the timing belt, and oil jet
I am picking my car up this afternoon. My service advisor said that they rebuilt the engine...2 pages worth of parts listed. Not sure if they replaced the pre-cats, (I deleted my post-cats when I had my custom exhaust done) but I will find out and report back.

Ilya

I don't think that cats are related after doing some QX56 digging. I don't see how they could be related. People were just having them go out in the same timeframe and thought they were related.

flip4prez
Car: 2012 m56x blk.

armybrat wrote:
flip4prez wrote:Mine goes in on the 25th for the recall. Curious exactly what parts are they going to replace besides the timing belt, and oil jet
I am picking my car up this afternoon. My service advisor said that they rebuilt the engine...2 pages worth of parts listed. Not sure if they replaced the pre-cats, (I deleted my post-cats when I had my custom exhaust done) but I will find out and report back.

How does it sound, and feel after the rebuild? And update on parts list please.

armybrat
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

flip4prez wrote:How does it sound, and feel after the rebuild? And update on parts list please.
I dropped my car off last Wednesday afternoon, and picked it up today. Here is the list of parts they replaced, under this recall:

The mechanic showed me the damaged oil jet. It was chewed up pretty bad from rubbing on the timing chain. Mine has two flat sides, where it's supposed to have only one flat side. That's probably why it slid out of the hole. The oil jet hole itself was ok, so they did not have to replace the block. They used the bags from the new parts to repackage the old parts (57 in all, I believe) They are sending these back to Infiniti for some kind of credit to validate the recall work. The replacement chains are a new, heavier duty design. They also replaced the fluids as shown on the paperwork. My engine definitely runs quieter, and idles slightly higher, probably where it's supposed to.

As far as the cats go, he said that there was no damage to mine, and that there shouldn't be any damage to the cats, but you can ask them to check since they have to disconnect the exhaust system anyway.

Ilya

Wow that's a lot of parts.

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

armybrat wrote:My engine definitely runs quieter, and idles slightly higher, probably where it's supposed to.

As far as the cats go, he said that there was no damage to mine, and that there shouldn't be any damage to the cats, but you can ask them to check since they have to disconnect the exhaust system anyway.
What about the startup noise? Is that still present?
Last edited by Ilya on Thu May 19, 2016 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the quote

armybrat
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

reggiebrown40 wrote:What about the startup noise? Is that still present?
No difference in start up noise, as far as I can tell, at least on mine. It sounds pretty much the same as it did before I had the work done. The direct injected set up is noisy by default, due to the high pressure fuel pump.

Ilya

armybrat wrote:
reggiebrown40 wrote:What about the startup noise? Is that still present?
No difference in start up noise, as far as I can tell, at least on mine. It sounds pretty much the same as it did before I had the work done. The direct injected set up is noisy by default, due to the high pressure fuel pump.
And closed loop/open loop stuff mentioned before which makes total sense.

Ilya

Got mine scheduled for June 13th and getting a Q70 loaner. Just after my birthday...peace of mind will be a great birthday present hah.

spirod

Just got my car back. It has been at the dealer since Tuesday morning. Took a little over 23 hrs to perform the timing chain recall. First impression was that the engine was quieter (still hear the DI ticking like before). After several manual downshifts, I can say that the rev-match is quieter than before (liked it before).

As far as the start-up noise is concerned, I will have to write back once it sits overnight.

spirod

I forgot to mention that unlike armybrat, the dealer changed the engine oil and anti-freeze. No other fluids were changed.

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

I'm scheduled in for June 15. I am so happy they issued this recall before I put any money toward it.

armybrat
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

Debonair wrote:I'm scheduled in for June 15. I am so happy they issued this recall before I put any money toward it.
Yeah I kinda got screwed there. I just had my 60k service done about a week before the recall job. As you know, a good bit of the cost is having the fluids changed, so that was money down the drain...just wished that my transmission would've acted up sooner LOL, which is how I ended up having the timing chain work done.

armybrat
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

spirod wrote:I forgot to mention that unlike armybrat, the dealer changed the engine oil and anti-freeze. No other fluids were changed.
My understanding was, since my car is AWD, they had to drop the motor and transmission, and remove the drive shaft, which is why the other fluids had to be changed and why it took them 4 full days to do the job.

However, like most jobs, there are probably shortcuts/tricks/tips, etc. that experienced mechanics employ to get the job done. I work for a cigarette company, where our work instructions call for specific procedures when rebuilding certain equipment. Over the years, after doing the jobs so many times, we've learned to combine certain steps to save time and money while accomplishing the overall objective.

spirod

spirod wrote:Just got my car back. It has been at the dealer since Tuesday morning. Took a little over 23 hrs to perform the timing chain recall. First impression was that the engine was quieter (still hear the DI ticking like before). After several manual downshifts, I can say that the rev-match is quieter than before (liked it before).

As far as the start-up noise is concerned, I will have to write back once it sits overnight.

Update : Start-up noise is still present. Regarding the rev-match being quieter, having driven it more, it sounds the same as before the recall was done.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”