2011 m37x lug nuts

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
genes
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37X

The tire installer has informed me that the lug nuts on my 2011 m37x need to be replaced do to issues with the two piece lugs and instructed me to get solid lug nut rather than the Infiniti two piece jobs that are factory. Is it absolutely necessary that I buy them at the Infiniti dealer? Would the dealer have the one piece design? What about cost? :ohno:
Thanks in advance.

Yoda's Master
Car: 2012 M56
2009 370z

What? Are you talking about the lock lugs? I bet he used an impact on the key and sheared it off.

genes

No, the lug nuts on my m37x are the Infiniti designed two piece. The chrome overpiece is separating from the underside. It's a poor design and it's my understanding that this has been a problem. I've been told by two mechanics recently (separate shops) that the lug nuts should be replaced. I am curious to know if there is an alternative to purchasing a set of lug nuts aftermarket as apposed to paying the exorbitant price at the Infiniti dealer. But, I've run into problems in the past with aftermarket products for my Infinitis hence, my concern.

genes

I just spoke with the Infiniti dealer parts department. To replace the lug nuts on my M37X will set me back $225.00!!! Yikes!!! For stinkin' 20 bolts!!! Outrageously expensive!!!

Yoda's Master
2009 370z

Try post a picture. IDK what you're talking about. The stock lugs has an integrated washer which helps to protect your rims from damage caused by over torquing the lugs.

This isn't the 1950's. You have other options than OEM:
https://www.amazon.com/20pc-Silver-Chro ... B00OJO89WY
https://www.amazon.com/YITAMOTOR-Chrome ... B01N37SL6T
https://www.amazon.com/Ameetaa-12x1-25- ... B07YFSYJV3

Notice these are all two piece nuts. That's by design. There's nothing wrong with them. Your shop guys messed up your lugs and possibly stretched your lug bolts by over torquing the lugs and are shifting the blame to your lugs so they don't have to eat the cost to repair for you. My advice, go get your lug nuts and bolts inspected from a reputable shop, not a jiffy lube or midas or anything similar, but a real shop and pay the extra money to get it done right.

If you really want one piece lugs, then you can buy these after you buy aftermarket rims and replace all your lug bolts:
https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automoti ... B001O08ADO

genes

I used to have the work done at the Infiniti dealer. I bought the tires there and recieved free tire rotations with each oil change (every 5,000 miles). I began taking my car to a Very reputable mechanic when Infiniti wanted to charge me exorbitant money for simple maintenance and repairs. On my first visit with the new repair shop, on removal of the lug nuts, the mechanic made a point of showing me the lug nuts. The Infiniti dealer knew of the problem. The problem exists and continues to exist. It cost Infiniti nickels to make these nuts and the up-charge to replace THEIR shoddy "engineering" mistakes is unbelievable!
I'm done. :wavey:

EdBwoy

I have had issues with chrome capped lug nuts in the past with my Jaguar XJ8, but have not found these Infiniti ones to be problematic in the least.

However, the OEM lock nuts have caused me issues with shattering, cracking, etc. I went and bought these Gorilla brand lock nuts & have been pleased.
Pretty much, just buy any reputable brand of mag style lug nuts with a 12 x 1.25 thread. Try to make sure you get something with 21mm hex to be able to use the OEM lug wrench, or just get something with a key/adapter socket. The advantage of 21mm-compatible lug nuts is that there are fewer components to misplace.

These are the ones I bought. I also bought a spare lock key from Gorilla.

genes

:dblthumb: Thank you! That is what I've been looking for!

Yoda's Master
2009 370z

genes wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:25 pm
:dblthumb: Thank you! That is what I've been looking for!
That's still a two piece design :gotme

DoN_BLaZe34
Car: 2007 M45 Sport - Sold
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

EdBwoy wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:11 pm
I have had issues with chrome capped lug nuts in the past with my Jaguar XJ8, but have not found these Infiniti ones to be problematic in the least.

However, the OEM lock nuts have caused me issues with shattering, cracking, etc. I went and bought these Gorilla brand lock nuts & have been pleased.
Pretty much, just buy any reputable brand of mag style lug nuts with a 12 x 1.25 thread. Try to make sure you get something with 21mm hex to be able to use the OEM lug wrench, or just get something with a key/adapter socket. The advantage of 21mm-compatible lug nuts is that there are fewer components to misplace.

These are the ones I bought. I also bought a spare lock key from Gorilla.
Ed, how has the finish on these help up? I always worry about the chrome peeling on these.

In the market for a new set as some of my OEM's have begun to swell.

EdBwoy

They are holding up OK. Typically, non-OEM lug nuts seem to corrode & show rust sooner + in places the OEM ones wouldn't. These ones aren't too bad. The outer surface shows some corrosion, but the flat mating surfaces are just like the original ones. I mix & matched them on my cars.
I've had them for 1.5 years at this point.

Here is how they look on my M56, which doesn't know what snow is.

And this is how the same combination looks like on the M45, which I drove around in the winter a little more.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”