2009 Versa Sun Roof drains

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Nut Behind The Wheel
Car: 2009 Versa Hatchback

I have a 2009 Versa Hatchback. Water leaks from the passenger side A pillar. I removed the inside cover on the A pillar to reveal the drain hose. I have checked the drain hole in the sun roof on the front passenger side and have run a cleaning wire about 2 feet down the drain tube (my cleaning wire is limited in length). The tube appears to be clear however water does not run into the tube when I pour some water into the drain area. This might mean the tube is blocked at the end but I don't know when that is. Anyone know where these drain tubes terminate?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Sounds like a question for the FSM: www.nissanservicemanual.com

Welcome aboard!

Nut Behind The Wheel

thanks for the link AZhitman. Unfortunately the manual documentation provides little detail on the drain hoses. I am hopeful that someone with direct experience might be able to provide some insight.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Nut Behind The Wheel

Over the last few days I have removed the passenger seat, lifted the carpet, removed the styrofoam pieces underneath, sucked up a lot of water and dried it all (man I don't want to go through that again... ). Now I am focused on resolving the actual leak. I have removed the front passenger side tire/wheel and the wheel well plastic cover. This revealed the drain outlet. This has pretty much been trial & error as I have yet to find any detailed documentation on this nor anyone else that has experienced this same issue on a Versa (although sun roof drain issues seem to be a common vehicle problem). I attempted to clean the tube using a .105" trimming line (weed trimmer line) from the top & bottom however I am totally stopped about 3"-4" into the lower drain tube. I did get some dirt & water out of the lower drain but going beyond that seems to be not happening. Versa Forum friends, having some insight (pictures, good diagrams, actual knowledge) as to what is within the frame would be most help. Thanks

Nut Behind The Wheel

next step in my self-fulfilling saga..... I used an endoscope camera view the area as it is not easy to access. I believe I have discovered that the drain tube is kinked at the plastic drain fitting in the wheel well. It seems Nissan did not use an elbow fitting but rather a straight-though fitting and trusted the hose to make the turn. Silly, as after some time (before it leaves the factory?) the hose will kink. For the sake of a $2 fitting, it may cause a very expensive repair down the road (no pun intended). Still need to develop a permanent fix....

Nut Behind The Wheel

Thought I would post an image of the kinked drain hose
Note: compressed air, grass trimmer line, or other such things aren't going to clear and fix this issue. Replacement is the only option.
Attachments
photo of kinked drain hose.JPG

Return to “Versa General Chat”