2009 EX35 Speedometer quit working

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
NewEX35Dude
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35 AWD Journey

Hello. I have read a few posts on other forums regarding issues with Nissan/Infiniti gauge clusters and about a week ago my EX35 speedometer quit working correctly. Currently it’s stuck at 160+ mph. No engine codes and odometer is working fine. All other gauges are working normally and the transmission is normal too. I’m thinking it’s the stepper motor for the speedometer and believe that something I can fix myself if I can find a replacement. Thoughts?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

In the EX's the speedo signal comes from the ABS to the cluster on CAN, and the odo reading is then calculated by the cluster from the speed signal. So if the odo works, your assumption that it must be a cluster failure is correct. The steppers aren't all that difficult to replace if you can find the right one or have a similar cluster to part out.

NewEX35Dude

Hello. Just an update on the speedometer issue. I replaced the drivers side front wheel bearing and forgot to pay attention to how it was oriented so when I went to install the ABS sensor it wouldn’t go in all the way. I zip tied it up out of the way and installed the wheel for a test drive. The drive went fine but now instead of traveling at 160 mph all the time it’s behaving relatively normal. LOL… It’s still off but I’m sure once I re-install the hub and replace the old sensor with a new one the speedometer will be back to normal, meaning working as it should.

NewEX35Dude

Hello all. Just wanted to provide an update on the speedometer issue. I’ve replaced both front wheel hubs/bearing assemblies and both front ABS sensors. I think the drivers side is also a wheel speed sensor. I’m not clear on that. Anyway, the speedometer works okay most of the time but the needle doesn’t go to zero, it settles at about 5 mph when stopped. I haven’t taken the time to remove the negative battery terminal to cycle power to the ECU.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're not getting an ABS warning light? That's plain weird, Nissan ABS's are touchy as hell about missed wheel pulses.

NewEX35Dude

No ABS light. I’ll be replacing the front brake rotors and pads this weekend and will disconnect the negative battery cable for a bit too. My EX35 has about 96,000 miles on it and is my daily driver. This EX has better brakes than my BMW Z4. LOL

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”