2009 cube® Vehicle No Start Due to Steering Column Lock

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
InfinitiEric

FINAL

Subject: 2009 cube® Vehicle No Start Due to Electronic Steering Column Lock – Voluntary Service Campaign

“Nissan will be conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign to replace the Electronic Steering Column Lock unit on certain specific 2009 cube® vehicles.

Certain 2009 cube® vehicles are equipped with an Electronic Steering Column Lock (ESCL) that locks the steering wheel when the vehicle is parked and turned off to help prevent theft. On some of these 2009 cube® vehicles, due to a manufacturing irregularity that has since been corrected, the ESCL may malfunction after the steering column is locked and could prevent the engine from starting. The issue does not affect steering or drivability when the engine is running.

To help prevent this from occurring, Nissan will replace the ESCL assembly on affected vehicles.

Nissan is committed to a high level of customer service and satisfaction and is working with dealers to promptly address this issue.”

***** Vehicle Identification *****
SERVICE COMM is not yet activated for this campaign. A campaign update will be sent within a few days to advise dealers when this available.

***** Repair Instructions *****
A Voluntary Service Campaign bulletin including repair instructions, parts and claims information is currently under development. A campaign update will be sent within a few days to advise dealers when the bulletin will be available on ASIST and the dealer portal, http://www.nnanet.com.

***** Parts Availability *****
Nissan is currently preparing the campaign parts supply. A campaign update will advise dealers when parts are available.

***** Owner Notification *****
Nissan plans to begin to notify owners by mid-July, after dealers have been provided repair instructions and parts.

chompsticks
Car: Cube Krom

Haven't heard of this yet, but it's good to know.

Wonder if it's for the push start models or not.

jyroflux
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube 1.8 SL

I just got my recall in the mail. Anybody had theirs replaced yet?

jyroflux

I'm taking it in tomorrow. I'll see how long it takes.

jyroflux

I took the cube in for the scheduled oil change and for the recall. I told them when I made the appointment what the recall was, but today nobody in the service department had seen this recall before so they didn't have the parts on hand. You'd think they would have checked for the parts when I made the appointment. They offered to keep the car and give me a rental so they could overnite the parts and do it tomorrow. They should have done that when I made the appointment. I just made another appointment for next week. And car dealers wonder why they are loathed.

chompsticks

They did that to me once...

Anyways, I got mine in too. I think I am going to take it in for mt 45000 miles too..

jyroflux

I got the recall done. They also fixed the fan noise. They found a leaf in the blower motor cage, which is behind the glove box like the cabin air filter. I was right, the noise started when they replaced the filter. I told them that last week, but they told me it wasn't related. :bs: Anyway, it took a little over an hour and I was on my way. I didn't mention the noisy dash since I have a lot to do today, so I'm going to try wedging a bit of rubber/felt/something between the dash and windshield when I get a chance to buy something to do the job.

btw - my cube is two years old tomorrow and I have less than 18.000 miles on it.

chompsticks

Awesome. I gotta take mine in soon for the recall.

My cube is soon to be two years old next month and I will be going in for it's 45,000 mile Nissan service... Hope it's not to expensive!

Hope that the dash rattle will go away though.

Zooi P
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube

I had the Steering Column lock replaced during the recall campaign in July 2011. Today my Cube is sitting at my Nissan dealership waiting for the part to come in so it can be done AGAIN! It wasn't broken when it was done in 2011, but now the car wont start. it had to be towed, $97!! I have the extended warranty so the repair will cost me $50. Not much, I know. But why if they were willing to fix it when it WASN'T broken, are UNWILLING to fix it when it is!? :wtf2: UGH!!! frustrated. I love my Cube. Best car I have ever owned. I would buy another for each of my kids if I had the cash. But this is stupid. How do I even know it was done and done right 2 years ago? So, I will pick it up on Monday, and hope to get reimbursed for the towing someday...lol

This seems to be a chronic problem that Nissan may want to re-open the recall campaign on. If you can't start the car you can't drive it!!! :nono:

stuckinside

Just had the second occurrence of this problem. First time was a month short of the 3 years warranty thankfully. Car wouldn't start, key symbol on dash flashing. Nissan sorted the ESCL, took them ages to determine this was the fault despite this thread showing the problem was identified prior to Jan 2012 when mine fault first occurred.

Second time around (4yrs 2 months) I was locked inside at the petrol station. Eaap! Doors and windows all dead. The recovery guy tried to get into the engine compartment but tripped the alarm and then the key after another hundred poundings triggered the door. So I got out and the car was low loaded off to Nissan.

The car is with Nissan again and I'm hoping for a good-will fix. Whatever causes the ESCL to fail is unknown? Not sure I like the idea of being trapped inside or worse my partner. I have a glass breaker but tbh I didn't expect to need it for this!

Love my Cube.. Nissan get this sorted!

Return to “Cube Forum”