2009 240Z build

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
gmac708
Car: :o)
1970 240Z
1972 510

Hatch and tail lights

do these fairings make my a$$ look big :naughty:

gord

GRNMACHINE
Car: 1999.5 Pathfinder SE 4x4

Not Big-just "Wide Boned"

Very Nice pics! Really takin shape. Stance & wheel/tire combo are great, color amazing.

DrewH
Car: 2006 Altima SE R
2012 G37X

gmac708 wrote:I sure hope so. Only a few things left to do... :dblthumb:
Well it would be great if you can. Almost had another S30 coming but he's just getting it back together. I'm sure he'll be there next year. I still get a kick out of this pic by the way.
gmac708 wrote:Head of the dragon. I-71 318 miles and 11 turns.

VQpwrdSE-R
Car: 2005 Code Red Nissan Altima SE-R
2013 Nissan Altima SV

:drool: Just popping by to read 20+ pages of pure sex. When I saw the engine bay last year I was in awe, now the whole things is coming together. 29 days to go 'till the dragon! Hope it all comes together.

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

I will shift into high gear as soon as I get her home. :yesnod

Got the hood painted and on, tomorrow is cut and polish. Also got the bumper on.

gord

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

Good gravy.....................

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Sanding and polishing is done. I got the door handles and locking mechanisms and mirror installed and adjusted. Rear hatch vent grills installed. Rear spoiler installed.

Kind of looks like a 4X4. Jacked up for transport. I can't wait to lower about 4".
Home tomorrow. :biggrin:

gord

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

All loaded up

Home

Start the clock tomorrow. Tonight, I'm taking a break. Nice to have her home.

gord

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

A quick update

Things are going great this week. Brakes are installed and system bled. I also installed a brake line lock solenoid. It goes in-between the master and the front brakes. Had to re-do all the brake lines to make things fit just right. Pressure chek and leak check all done. :dblthumb:

The mature "inner me" said it was for a hill brake and warming up the clutch. The kid in me said it would be for cool burnouts... :woot:

The read diff, axles, and sway bar are installed. Also got the fuel tank in tonight. :bigthumb:

I was working on the wiring today and got harnesses installed. I cleaned it up quite a bit over the last time. It looks pretty good. It looks like we are ready for the engine to be dropped in. :biggrin:

Things are progressing. I might just make the dragon after all. Still a long way to go. Fingers crossed.

gord

dangeris
Car: 08 Code Red 3.5
08 BMW 328xi Coupe
90 300ZX 2+0 NA

OMG..Saw the link in the mod section when I got into work. Started reading and I couldn't stop! Was supposed to be working on some high claification VPN solution for the USAF...Oh well. There's always monday I suppose. This build is asolutely amazing and inspiring! I remember seeing that RX7 out on the track but didn't realize that was your son till I read this thread. We're you there as well? I meet so many new people there and its hard to keep straight... :crazy:

Subscribed! Can't wait to see the RB dropped in and running and actually seeing this in peron at carlislenext year! Great Job :dblthumb:

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

I was at Carlisle.I agree that there are so many people to meet and greet, you sometimes get confused...I'm sure we met there. I plan on being there next year.

Update

Working on the harness and the engine stuff.

Getting real close to start up.

Viper5000
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 3.5SE/6MT

Hopefully I can see this beauty at the Dragon again this year.... the progress is nothing short of amazing!

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Update time

I finished up the engine and drive train this last weekend. All fluids are serviced. Harness is inside and ready to hook up to computer. Exhaust is done. Car is back on ground. No need to go back under.

I spend a couple days this week getting the trim around the windshield installed. Alex came over to assist. He brought over his 260Z and it was nice having another Z to compare the interior pieces and where they go. The first piece across the top to a couple attempts before it was right. I purchased a few yards of vinyl from Jo Anne fabrics. Ended up pretty nice. Then I got the A pillars done too...

So then, I could install the windshield. I spent last night doing that. The new seal was purchased from Black Dragon and I must admit that it fit perfect and looks really good. I am very happy with my newly purchased used windshield as well. It looks a lot better than my old one. :bigthumb:

Got the back hatch glass installed tonight. New old glass as well. This one has rear window defog that will work. Need a new NICO sticker.

OK. Now that the windshield is in, I can install the dash and get the rest of the wiring done. Then fire her up.
:dblthumb:

gord

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Update

Got the dash installed on Saturday morning. Alex came over to help again. Things went together pretty easily. I labeled everything and I had no extra wires left over. :biggrin:

We got the engine started just afternoon. No leaks. Purrs like a kitten. We took mandatory test drive around the block. The hood latch was not installed and for the record, it floats up at about 45mph. We came back and had to tighten up a few things and checked the fluids. Working the air out of the water coolant, that needed topped off. No leaks again. Today I spent the morning getting the harness cleaned up and tucked up under the dash. The fuse panel and relays attached. All finished with the wiring now. :dblthumb: I got the hood latch attached to the hood and made a few adjustments. Wiper arms and blades are on. Then I put about 70 miles on it driving around Columbus.

I need to get the doors finished, The door windows would be nice. :gapteeth: Then work on the heating and air vent system. I hope to put a ton of miles on here in the next few weeks. Getting ready for Dragon!

gord

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

This is master level build threadery. Well done Sir. I am so Jelly.

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

Yes, yes, and more yes! Love it

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Tonight I got the door window frames and windows installed. :dblthumb:

These went back together really quick.

Now I can lock it up. Mandatory two hour test drive. :gapteeth:

I am getting a clunk out of my right rear shock. I need to tighten up the nut on top of the shock. I must get it fixed soon.
Starter acting up twice today. Might need to get a spare "just in case". I will remove it and investigate.

gord

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

Oh man, Last time I checked this thread was 8 months ago. All I can say is WOW. This thing looks amazing now. Outstanding work, Gord.

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Update

Things are progressing well. This week I went after the annoying "clicking" on the right rear shock. I thought it was the shock nut on top of the shock tower not being tight. I removed it twice to check the torque on the nut. I finally figured it was the bearing the camber plate that was moving. It is held in place with a snap ring. I removed the bearing and secured it with lock-tight and snap ring and that fixed the problem. :dblthumb:

I'm going to take the left side apart today. Might as well get it done now. That should just take an hour or so.

I also made new panels that go beside your feet. They are made of fiber-board and painted black. Mine were toast and missing a few corners.

They are identical in mirror image and are pre-punched for the screw holes. I guess the left hand and right hand drive would swap component locations. The good news is that between the two of them, I have a good template. I had to purchase a whole 4X8 sheet. Only $8, but still a waste.

Basic wood working skills :gapteeth:

Quick sand and paint.

I also got the vinyl covering the inside rockers. Same as the A pillar process. I'm getting pretty good at that now. It just takes a little practice.

And with the kick panel installed. :bigthumb:

I also covered the flat surface behind the gear shift knob with a piece of vinyl. The choke lever and rear window defog used to go there. Now my cell phone or glasses can sit there. :cool:

I still need to install a cup holder. :chuckle:

I got the interior panels back in place. These are a collection of parts I have accumulated.

The roll bar is a pain in the a** and the quarter windows are covered with cracked pieces untill I figure that area out. I think the best way will be to cut them into sections and assemble in place. There is just now way to bend them without major damage. I will figure them out later.

I am going to start and try to get my HVAC cables and fan hooked up today. That stuff has never worked. Wish me luck...

gord

DrewH
Car: 2006 Altima SE R
2012 G37X

gmac708 wrote:I am going to start and try to get my HVAC cables and fan hooked up today. That stuff has never worked. Wish me luck..
Oh we know...

Good luck :)

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

:rotfl 10 inches of rain on my way home. I had 1/2 inch inside on the floor.
Not this year! I just finished up the test drive and it went perfect :dblthumb:
New windshield, seal, defog, I am prepaired. It looks like we might catch some rain this week after all. :frown:

jerome2710

I have been following your project for quite some time now.
Really nice to see it come together for the final time.

It's a huge bunch of inspiration for me. I really hope I can start a nice 240Z project myself too some day.

Excellent work!

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Got Betzy weighed yesterday.

Original weight taken 2/9/2009

Weight taken 8/28/12

Original had no fuel. New weight includes full tank (15 gal) X 7Lbs = approx 105 lbs of fuel.

As weighed = 269 Lbs increase.
Subtract 105 Lbs fuel = 165 lbs increase total.
Considering all the add-ons, roll bar, sway bars, wheels tires, engine, trany...
Not bad.
gord

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

that's really impressive in both total weight and F/R distribution. To have 53/47 weight bias and only 2500 lbs overall with a huge iron block straight six motor in the front. That's really amazing!

What's your hp estimate? 400? Your power to weight ratio should be well into the exotics territory.

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

HP is 359 at the wheels.

I'm pretty happy :biggrin:

stony
Car: cars

First post here in a while. I just happen to trip over this tread... HOLY cow this is a nice build!!! if i ever do another rb26 build i want to do it this way. there are enough aftermarket rear mods now that you can make a s30 rearend halfway survive a 500rwhp triple clutch launch ;>

Love the color you have great taaste. :naughty:

For sure not as clean as yours in the engine compartment.

here without any glass.

Just last week got all the glass and interior installed.

stony
Car: cars

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Stony. Welcome back to NICO. :wavey:
I have been following your build and articles for years. You are a master at your work. I love your car, she looks awesome! Probably the biggest reason for selecting an RB for my car was your work. Very Cool to have you drop in on my build and post some favorable comments. :dblthumb:
Gord

Ted.
Car: 1992 240sx

I've been watching this for a little while now, and its absolutely boss. I'd love for you to bring this down to one of the open drifts Alex regulars to check it out. Congrats on a sick car, man

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Update

Well I made it to Nicofest at the dragon. :woot:

For those of you who have not been there, you should make it a point of going. The roads down there are a pleasure to drive. Betzy performed flawlessly. I pushed her pretty hard and not one things went wrong. No leaks, nothing... :biggrin:

Fun NICO tribe and some crazy fun driving. Pictures do not do the weekend justice. I will be there next year.

I had a really wet drive home. The rain was pouring down very hard, but I was toasty warm inside with clear visibility.

I put over 1200 miles in 4 days on her. 1500 since getting her painted and back together. When I got back home on Monday, I was pretty well done with her for the week. Yesterday I jacked her up and pulled the wheels and brakes to check for any damages. I also put a wrench on everything down there and everything looked perfect. I made some minor adjustments to the springs and camber, back to "normal" settings. Back on the ground and gave her a good bath.

I started this build thread quoting Lao and a posted picture of Betzy in the dessert under the shade of a surfboard. 3 and a half years later we are in Ohio.

My "little Z build" did take a lot longer than I had planned. Plan "A" was kept with regards to keeping the RB stock. My other upgrades to the car were chosen by a number of influences coming from posts on the web. There are many ways to do this and perhaps you may decide to follow my footsteps or not. At least you will have some choices to compare your build to. I am happy with the outcome. I would consider this build thread completed, even though there is always something to do. I will always be around to answer questions if you want to send me a PM. :dblthumb:

Happy driving...

Gord

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”