2009 240Z build

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
hjimmy1128
Car: Mercedes Benz C

gmac708 wrote:Welcome to NICO Jimmy :wavey: I am not quite sure how you ended up in a classic Z section of NICO searching for 930 stuff, but I'm glad you found something you enjoyed reading. It don't think I could have done it any other way. :bigthumb:
Gord
Hi Gordon, i was searching the keywords of classic cars, rebuild, etc... and guess what? there it is your Z build.
And yes, I enjoyed reading your post very much and I just have to register as a member to say thank you to you~
:dblthumb:

Jim

gmac708
Car: :o)
1970 240Z
1972 510

Internal floors are painted with Bed Liner stuff. Hard as a rock.

This will all get covered with carpet later. At least it is protected for now.
Gord

hjimmy1128
Car: Mercedes Benz C

This is awesome!!
With all the modern goods while keeping the old school look is the best form of building a car!! (my personal opinion)
thank you for the update Gordon~~

DrewH
Car: 2006 Altima SE R
2012 G37X

Its looking great Gordon. Looking forward to the next time I get to see it in person.

S13AL
Car: 1991 240sx hatch with blacktop s13 sr20det, HKS Hipermax III suspension, HKS Sport exhaust, Blitz downpipe, S15 Sylvia HLSD, 300zx/J30 5 lug and brakes, and mesh wheels

Do you know how much weight the bedliner added?

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

S13AL wrote:Do you know how much weight the bedliner added?
I don't think it will weigh that much. It's not that thick and it weighed maybe 5 lbs wet in the can.

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

A little update on the painting.
I know it seems like this is taking forever. I am going through all sorts of highs and lows. The biggest was last weekend. Missing out on Carlisle was a big downer. If you had told me last fall that I would miss Carlisle because the car would not be ready I would have not painted it at all. BUT, I am making progress and it is turning out so freeking awesome! On to the pictures...

First, tape off all the stuff we just painted. Going to work the jams.

Then hit all the door jams and the stuff under the fender and across the windshield. White, then orange, then clear (2 coats). All this gets covered/taped off before the next step.

Then we got the hatch jam covered.

The inside of the doors were next. Same thing, white, orange, then clear coat.

Pictures do not do it justice. It looks so cool. Very happy :biggrin: Things are starting to pick up. So much of painting is in the preparation and this is starting to pay dividends for all the hard work. :dblthumb:
This week we are going to get the underside of the hood and inside the engine bay.

gord

z32pilot62
Car: 1990 300zx N/A A/T (Sold)
1990 300zx 2+2 N/A A/T-M/T
1972 Buick Skylark Custom
1970 Chevy Blazer (Sold)
1977 280z (Sold)
1991 Civic Dx (Beater)

Love the color, it will all be worth it once the car is back together and you are enjoying it, you will be like Carlisle what? LOL! Keep up the good work!

300ZXttZMAN
Car: 1990 300zx Twin Turbo 5 spd pearl white.

My Daily: 2008 Frontier NISMO package, 4x4 Crew Cab.

I can't wait to see this thing all put back together!

Also Gord are you planing on going to NOPI this year??

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

300ZXttZMAN wrote:Also Gord are you planing on going to NOPI this year??
It looks like September might be a busy month.
We have the dragon Aug 31-Sept 2nd. That is a must.
JCCS Sept 15th. One day event, six days drive :bigthumb: Local guy with skyline want to do the road trip as well :dblthumb:
NOPI Nats Sept 22-23rd.

Not sure what to do. Must get Betzy back together first.

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Update paint and tail lights.

I started the weekend out with a bang. Alex stopped buy with his newly acquired 74 260Z. It looks like he picked up a keeper. Low rust and he even drove it up from N. Carolina. It already had an L28 swap and some other upgrades. He has some big plans for this car. Can't wait. :bigthumb:

I took my rear tail lights apart.The plastic trim was loose on the right side lens and they both showed signs that water had been inside and made little water lines inside.

There is a little metal lock clip on the middle tab that goes through whole tail light and secures it in the back. There is also a little locking clip on both ends of the trim. Once the middle clip has been removed, the two parts pull apart and you have access to the other clips. It was hot out today so pulling them apart was easy. I have read that you may have to soak the whole assembly in hot water to make the sealant soft if it is cold out. I can see where being cold and trying to pull apart could crack the lens if you are not careful. I put everything back together with silicone sealant. :biggrin:

I also started cleaning and painting some of the accessories...horn before and after. Looks good.

I also got the headlights, turn signals, door and hatch hardware all cleaned up.

Then... on to paint update

The inner fenders and firewall are done. Same routine, White, then orange, then clear coat. :cool:

We should have some of the components together next weekend. :dblthumb:

gord

S13AL
Car: 1991 240sx hatch with blacktop s13 sr20det, HKS Hipermax III suspension, HKS Sport exhaust, Blitz downpipe, S15 Sylvia HLSD, 300zx/J30 5 lug and brakes, and mesh wheels

Beautiful color!

boostedh23a1
Car: Datsun 240Z
Datsun 280Z

No updates makes me feel suicidial. =( And makes me spell incorrectly.

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

boostedh23a1 wrote:No updates makes me feel suicidial. =( And makes me spell incorrectly.
lolz

Sorry about the updates...Things are a little busy around here.

We got the little seals on top of the fenders installed last weekend. They seal between the inner and outer fender.

Now the fenders can go back on.

Also got the doors hung and adjusted. :dblthumb:

Won't be long now.

gord

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

There is not a drooling smilie big enough for what I am feeling right now. I want to see it done SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GRNMACHINE
Car: 1999.5 Pathfinder SE 4x4

Fantastic Build, Paintwork is stunning.

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Update time.

I got a lot done yesterday. Beta Motorsports carbon fiber hood needed to have the hinge brackets attached after the underside of the hood had been painted.

The hood turned out fantastic. :bigthumb:

The brackets were simple to make, a little bit of a pain in the butt to install.

The hood hinges were also painted and needed to be installed. I left the springs off as John Coffee at Beta had recommended leaving them off. The reduction of the hood weight by 30 lbs is pretty substantial and the springs are basically not required. The total weight of the new hood before paint was 7lbs 8 oz. I will weigh it again after the top/outside surface gets painted.

The hood lifts up and stays propped open by itself. Very light weight. I'm still going to fab up some sort of rod stay to secure the hood in case of wind blowing it closed on my head while it is open. :gapteeth:

The fit is perfect. Absolutely gorgeous.

Kind of scary as this was the first time I was able to test fit it.

Rear hatch hinge seal replacement.

I don't know if you remember that status of the car when I got it but it had been sitting in the desert for a few years. All the rubber seals were basically charcoal. This included the rubber boot seals that enclose the rear hatch hinges. I think it is more of an air seal than a rain seal, but it still needed replaced.

My new seals were ordered and received from Vintage rubber, unfortunately, they sent two left sides. So much for getting the hatch done today. :mad:

I went ahead and got the left side installed. I will get the other side this week.

trim piece..

I will trim the excess of after the hatch gets adjusted. :dblthumb:

I also got a bunch of little parts attached to the inside of the hatch. I am also working on getting the grill straightened out. Still lots to do. I'll keep the updates coming.

gord

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

I used to laugh at people who would claim that between the money and hours they put in on a restoration they figured they had well over $100k invested in a car... But, I've come to realize that those claims are very legit.. I can't imagine what kind of tally you will have invested in this project.

If you ever sell it.. I'm first in line.

Keep up the good work and all the pics and updates.

I think you should make a coffee table book out of this project.. Seriously.. A large size book with tons of high res pics of the process from start to finish.

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

Always love to jump into this thread to see the progress. Totally love this car.

Problem is, my S30 instantly looks like crap to me :slap:

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

A long overdue update :yesnod
With all the crazy weather and storms, we did not get as much done as we planned. Jim lost power for about a week due to 80 mph winds knocking down power lines. Temps got above 100 degrees a couple days as well. But everything is getting back to normal and we made some progress this week.

The bottom of the car is undercoated. Mostly sprayed, some brushed spots. It looks really good.

Fenders and rear hatch are on for the final time. :dblthumb:

Hope for big things this weekend...

gord

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

Very nice =))))

Opted out from the rubberized undercoating?

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Coolwhip wrote:Very nice =))))

Opted out from the rubberized undercoating?
Went with painter's recommendation. Looks pretty good. Covers well. I'm happy. :bigthumb:

Finally!

Last week was more finish sanding.

This week it poured rain and it was too humid, I was out of town, bla, bla, bla....

Today was paint day! Two coats white. 3 coats orange, 6 coats clear.

Wet sand and polish is next. Then grill and rear valance is going to be graphite. Hope to have the wheels under her next weekend.

gord

DrewH
2012 G37X

Looks like somebody is going to make Killboy's highlights again this year.. but for a totally different kick a** reason. Looking awesome Gordon.

svairman
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45

If this color is as bright as it looks on screen you need to have a small warning sticker printed to stick on the back glass or somewhere. Love the color but it's like looking directly at an eclipse or something, lol looking directly at it may cause permanent damage :naughty:

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

svairman wrote:If this color is as bright as it looks on screen you need to have a small warning sticker printed to stick on the back glass or somewhere. Love the color but it's like looking directly at an eclipse or something, lol looking directly at it may cause permanent damage
It's a crazy color. It changes with lighting. :cool: I think it will tone down a bit with the black trim and wheels and a few chrome trim bits. :chuckle:

Also...
Last weekend, a local 240Z popped up on Craigslist. It seems that a guy had a wreck about 30 years ago and decided to store it for later repairs. Front and back heavily damagd. It's been in a covered garage for the past 30 years. Now he is parting it out.

Score! Funny how things work out. I needed a new windshield because mine was all chipped to hell and was delaminating. This one looks brand new.

And a rear window glass that the defog works. Also, a bunch of interior stuff to replace all my broken plastic. It's all coming together...

gord

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

paint looks awesome!

RustspecS13
Car: '74 260z and '88 300zx turbo

Im mad you didn't say anything about going to check that car out. We could have cruised over in my 260, Im sure there was some stuff I might have been able to use. Ah oh well.

Its looking fantastic, I cant wait to see it all come together in the coming days!

~Alex

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Update
Getting close to being done. Got to move her outside today. Her first time back in the sun in a while. Looking good.

ZG flares looking good as well.

Have to re-shoot the hood. We were not satisfied with the edges. More to come later this week.

gord

DrewH
2012 G37X

Great to see it as a rolling chasis again. Can we expect to see the finished product at NICOfest?

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

DrewH wrote:Great to see it as a rolling chasis again. Can we expect to see the finished product at NICOfest?
I sure hope so. Only a few things left to do... :dblthumb:

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”