2009 240Z build

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
HoosierSX
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx, 1971 Chevrolet Camaro

ahh...5 pages of enjoyment. Thanks gmac very impressed with the build. Looking forward to more!

kelloggman
Car: 73 240z

this thread is the equivalent of a crack addictioni keep wanting more. amazing thread

Rob.Vegan
Car: 08 2.5S Altima Coupe 76 Datsun 280z (not running)

I first read through this thread in late May early June. Then read it again a few days ago, I loved it both times. Super stoked to see the finished product

gmac708
Car: :o)
1970 240Z
1972 510

I spent the morning yesterday at work because I needed a press to insert the studs and assemble the rear stub axles in the axle housing. I ordered the parts from Modern Motorsports and everything is quality stuff.

Installed new ARP studs. Bearings are greased up and ready to go. Sealed bearing on one side goes toward flange.

Inner bearing greased up and installed. Next would be the seal.

Everything all together with brake caliper bracket and CV joint flange. Don't forget to install the spacer between bearings. Everything should spin freely.

I started to gutt the interior in the back. Time to get the rear camber plates installed. This plastic is so brittle. It crumbles to dust when you touch it. It will all have to be replaced with new. I am finding it imposable to save anything.

Everything looks clean underneath.

Hatch is off, windows removed.

Now comes the fun part!

and...Having a tough time getting the rubber bushings pressed out of the lower control arms. I cannot find the correct size socket/bushing to press it out, and keep everything straight. A whole bunch of force and didn't even budge. I don't really want to heat it up too much. Any ideas?

Gordon

noobdrftr
Car: of crap...just pure crap

my gawd this is one insane build....cant wait till its done

KeeperoftheDead
Car: 95 s14 stock

burn out the bushings. that might work better than pressing them out.

minnesotazcar
Car: 1972 dautsun 240z

Soak them overnight in penetrating oil. Or bake the control arms before you try and press them. Nice build every Monday I have to log on for my weekly drool...

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

yup, I had to burn and hacksaw a couple of bushings out of my s30

Ramonesfreak2010
Car: 1991 240sx Hatch

Wow. I was hoping by the 5th page, your car would be done. lol Oh well, I can't wait til its done. Please get some videos once its running.

Klodust

i.... wish..... my.... dad was into cars like you. hahah

your son has an awesome S13 and your Z is coming out greaaat.

im also very jealous of your watanabe's and i cant wait to see the RBz run!

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

I ended up doing the rear camber plates a little different than the front. After much research and a few more searches on the internet, I believe the I spent a lot more time on the front shock towers than was necessary. I'm going to leave the fronts the way they are, but I would probably do them like the back one next time.

I started out the same way, marking centers, between towers, keeping everything in line.

Lay up centers of mounting hole with center punch and transpose cutouts of camber plate.

Drill holes. I find the unibits are best for this kind of drilling.

Connect the holes.

Trim and file until clearance is good. Take your time. I had the plates in and out a bunch, just to get it right.

Lots of room down here...

Mount the plate...

...and the shock mount...

...and I am done!

Now here is the front to compare to the back.You can see that I left way more metal on the front.

OK... no on to FIRE! I needed to get those pesky bushings out of the lower control arms.

A little propane torch started the bushings on fire and the inserts came right out.

A little hack saw action...

A good smack with a center punch and a twist with a screw driver and they come right out.

Tomorrow... we should be back on the ground.

Hope it sits just right.

Gord

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

I have an idea!

You should paint it General Lee orange!

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

AZ89two4Tsx wrote:I have an idea!

You should paint it General Lee orange!

Great minds think alike I did check out a couple "general lee" web sites and it is definitely in the running. along with "Hemi orange" and "grabber orange". How about

"Mexican taxicab orange" this is my fav so far.

anyway...An update!

I got the rear struts together and installed. All new poly bushings.

Lot's of room up top.

Plenty of room on the inside near tire.

I lowered it until tire hits the fender. How low can we go?

Cool....Looks like it's time to order ZG flares.

The rest of the parts should start arriving this week and I can start on fitting the R-200 diff and axles, rear sway-bar, brakes...and then there's the fuel tank etc..etc..etc...

That's it for this weekend, time for a cold one.

Gord

SharolMac

Looks great!!! I like a more burnt orange, but I like burnt, lol. Can I drive it when it's done, tehehe. You really know your stuff bro.

mikeith
Car: 73 240z

this thread makes coming to work on mondays SOOO much better! you have me SO amped about getting to start mine soon! this thread has been every helpful in the planning of mine. whats funny is i had planned to do thing in this order w/ the excepetion of rear and front. like this... engine/tranny, rear suspension/brakes, r230, front suspension/brakes, plumbing fuel/brake/coolant, paint/body, wheels/tires, wiring/lighting/heat/ac, interior! i think that covers it. mine will take ALOT longer to complete though.

carps13guy
Car: 91 coupe ka

good work man. your builds are always clean & proper. you are essentially building my dream car. i have wanted an rb 240z since i was a youngn. i'd love to see what this thing will do down the 1320
Modified by carps13guy at 10:06 PM 9/1/2009

franklin93zx
Car: 1993 nissan 300zx non turbo

spooled240
Car: kouki s14

SharolMac wrote:Looks great!!! I like a more burnt orange, but I like burnt, lol. Can I drive it when it's done, tehehe. You really know your stuff bro.
+1 a burnt orange would look nice, but a bright orange would look pretty ba as well...either way it'll look legit

great updates bro, can't wait to see the engine running

edit: you have to get a pic of the a** end with those huge a** tires

mRodiek
Car: Stock Hatch

I love your builds, keep it going!

I vote hugger orange as well or a nice solid black

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

A little update.I did end up selling a few items this week and cleaned out a bit more space in the garage. Somebody coming over for the engine and fuel tank tomorrow. Glad it's going to somebody who can "recycle" it back into service. I hate to throw stuff out. Anyway...

My car originally came with an R-180 dif, I want to put an R-200 out of a 1983 280ZX turbo (remember the barn on page 1). The R-200 with CV axles are stronger than the R-180 dif and should handle the extra HP of the RB engine.

The R-200 is a little bigger and requires some other parts to be changed to support it. I am also adding a solid front mount.

The old brackets supporting the control arms are going to be changed too, I'm adding a sway bar.

Everything went in pretty easy using a floor jack to support it.

I had a little problem with the rear diff tilting up a bit more than I thought it should. here you can see a small gap between the moustache bar and the dif cover...

Here you can see the poly mount "sandwich" for the moustache bar is really big. If I could remove the washer and some of the bushing on top, the bar could be higher and the dif would sit almost perfect.

So I cut some off...ground down the center spacer...

and installed without the washer.

Is perfect!

Tomorrow we see if the axles fit.

noobdrftr
Car: of crap...just pure crap

awesome...just pure awesome

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

Did you end up throwing an lsd into the pumpkin?

I would suggest welded, but that's probably a little too ghetto for you lol.

xX RB Xx
Car: SE3P, FC3S, FC3C.

^ he might as well go with a nismo lsd.. you can get them brand new from nissan for $740.

spooled240

what are your plans for this car? track car? daily driver? garage queen? weekend warrior?
AZ89two4Tsx wrote:Did you end up throwing an lsd into the pumpkin?

you logged me out you ***hole lol

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

AZ89two4Tsx wrote:Did you end up throwing an lsd into the pumpkin?

I plan on LSD, after I get it running. Too many mods to start with. I would like to get Z running and then upgrade.
spooled240 wrote:what are your plans for this car? track car? daily driver? garage queen? weekend warrior?
yes!

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

for those playing along at home, if you can't afford teh azc billit mustache bar you can use the mustache bar fomr an 75-78 280z manual trans, as these models came with the R200 stock

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

evildky wrote:for those playing along at home, if you can't afford teh azc billit mustache bar you can use the mustache bar fomr an 75-78 280z manual trans, as these models came with the R200 stock
Yes, sorry, I have not been very good keeping up with the parts.

I elected to go with the Arizona Z car mustache and brace and front dif mount:http://www.arizonazcar.com/diffmount.html

Quality parts and they look even better up close.

My stub axles, http://www.modern-motorsports....id=62CV adaptershttp://www.modern-motorsports...._id=5

are Modern Motorsports. Really nice stuff.

And now...

I got the rear axles installed today.

I disconnected the top of the strut and tilted the strut outward to slip the axle shaft in. You need to swing it out about 2-3 inches to clear. You can also disconnect at lower control arm inbd bushings, but I wanted to remove the coil spring.

I removed the coil spring at the same time to check the travel.

I could push the axle shaft outboard (against the inner spring) during full deflection up and down. Plenty of room, no binding.

Wheels back on..

...looks like everything is pretty straight.

I hope I have room for the sway bar.

Modified by gmac708 at 10:30 PM 9/6/2009

ravera
Car: 1971 Datsun 240Z

It will fit. It doesn't look like it will, but it will fit, barely. Make sure you articulate the suspension fully to make sure the shaft doesn't rub. (it shouldn't.)

Did you replace the boots on your Tripods? Where did you get them? I can find the inner boots but not the outers, Ironically.

spooled240

i think you're gonna have to put it in front of the rear subframe...maybe drill holes into the floor boards, weld some nuts in and bolt on the sway bar supports?

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

ravera wrote:Did you replace the boots on your Tripods? Where did you get them? I can find the inner boots but not the outers, Ironically.
Those are "as removed" from doner car. Left is recent overhaul and right looks original. I think just a CV grease re-pack. It would be nice to have new boots. I think I will do when car being painted. I have not looked around yet.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”