2008 Versa SL, wont shut off even with key out

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
crabi53263
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa

Vstar

ran the fuse test on all fuses, fuse 3 only has power on one side, fuse 46 and 47 have power on both sides, no other changes, i tested every fuse in the car and in the IPDM and fusible link box

crabi53263

Vstar

traced light green and red all the way back didnt see anything until i looked real close at the plug on the BT, it looks like the inside on the end with the red and light green is dark, i put a pin in each and then ran an ohms test, it was jumping all over settled about 5. ohms, that red and green should not be connected at the end of that plug, i noticed there was more red and light green wires on this plug. im going to snip those wires and run another ohms test, i should not see anything correct? unless its chaffed which i so far have not seen and i pulled them all away from the harness as i traced them through
I am going to go run an ohms test again but it may be the plug itself, it does not look dirty on the outside but those two wires have some dirt and it looks like a black shadow if i look close, i dont have an extra harness plug i would have to get one i can try and unpin the wire and check.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Half an ohm is a dead short for practical purposes. The "shadow" you're seeing is most likely a carbon track. That's your culprit.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If you can't find a new plug in the JY, post pics of it showing all the slots and polarizers and I can match it up. We have a humongous connector collection at the dealership because I strip all of our junk harnesses. I have to pay the dealership for it so it won't be free, but I can get you most anything in the way of Nissan multi-pin types.

crabi53263

Vstar

TADA, not sure how im going to fix it yet but look at this, i had looked at the BT plug multiple times clean and white, one end seems to have a shadow under a magnifying glass, i ohmed it found they were connected, broke the plastics open to see and heres what i found. NOW my problem is how do i fix it, my JY guy didnt have an SL so no BT, i now need the BT harness plug i can then wire it in, is there anything i can do in the mean time? how should i test this in operation? if i cut those two its just like unplugging fuse 27?
Attachments
IMG_2079.jpg
IMG_2080.jpg

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I certainly wouldn't trust the two pins involved, the plating on them is gone. That type of connector is all over the place on all kinds of Nissans, so even if you can't find an exact mate, getting one from the JY with good pins you can steal shouldn't be a problem. The separator bulkheads in the shell don't look to be completely melted, so I'd suggest unpinning those two wires and cleaning the shell thoroughly, then replacing them with pigtail pins and sealing up the cut area with Permatex Ultra Gray.

crabi53263

Hey Vstar

Any clue were i can find a BT harness plug?, is this something i can buy through nissan? do you know any way to get one?

crabi53263

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:43 am
I certainly wouldn't trust the two pins involved, the plating on them is gone. That type of connector is all over the place on all kinds of Nissans, so even if you can't find an exact mate, getting one from the JY with good pins you can steal shouldn't be a problem. The separator bulkheads in the shell don't look to be completely melted, so I'd suggest unpinning those two wires and cleaning the shell thoroughly, then replacing them with pigtail pins and sealing up the cut area with Permatex Ultra Gray.
They are melted i dug in a little further with a pin, pulled the bottom off to try and find a pin to replace this one with but the plastic is melted and cracking inside there i can see through to the other side bank of wires now, im trying to unpin them but i think there melted in place, ill keep trying

crabi53263

Vstar

will and Altima have the same BT plug? or anything in that year with BT have the same plug?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Look up above, I can match you up something if you can't get one. I'll just need clear, detailed pics of the shell from all sides. Look in NissanPartsDeal, just search the p/n for the BT Unit without putting in a vehicle. At the bottom of the page it will show what other models and years use that specific part.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - Unpinning those connectors isn't too difficult but you'll need a very fine pick to lift the retainer pawls. See this post, the pins are smaller but the principle is the same:

topic628641.html

The only difference with this type is that the part you cut away is a secondary lock, it has to be lifted at the same time as you release the pawl.

crabi53263

Vstar

Thank you more than you could know, i did allot of stuff i didnt need to do and its almost comical finding this. I had looked at that plug 10 times, it was clean white nothing visible would indicate the plug, under a magnifying glass i saw a shadow, so i dug in deeper, all the stuff i have done trying to figure this out and it comes out to this.
I did try unpinning it its melted so bad the pin is encased in plastic and its dripped onto other wires, i pulled a pin from another connector then tried to get the old one out and its just mangling the plastic.
Couple questions?
the steering column has been replaced will i need to get the key programmed ? i also installed an ECU from the donor car to match the key what would make more sense ? i have to be able to drive it somewhere to have the ECU programmed to this car, not sure they program anything in the BCU, but i do think the key has to be programmed again.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

On an '08 steel key, I'm pretty sure the BCM is out of the loop. So as long as the ECM and the IMMU agree with one another, you shouldn't need to repro. The security light will tell you, if it's lit solid with the key in the On position then a repro is needed, if it goes out then you're in the clear. Most mobile locksmiths can do steel key Nissans, so you probably won't need to drive it if a repro is necessary.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - Chasing your tail over a wacko problem like this one is nothing new, happens to me all the time. Getting to the bottom often means bad guesswork, that's why I never "quote ahead" on electrical issues of any kind. It takes whatever time and parts it happens to take. So don't dare kick yourself, most people would've given up and replaced half the car without ever knowing what the real problem was. Cars have gone to the JY for less. You did good, be proud of it.

crabi53263

Hey Vstar

ALL GOOD NOW, i soldered every wire, found a BT plug about 30 miles from me guy charged me 40 bucks to pull it myself, dug through 6 cars before i found a versa with BT in the back, i soldered the plug on then plugged in all the harnesses on that passenger kick panel and with battery on the dash is OFF, THANK GOD, lmao
I cant thank you enough for your help, this turned into way more than it should have, but in the end its fixed, i been working on cars a long long and should have stayed with my gut feeling, which was fuse 27 had something to do with this, im glad you were able to figure this out for me. Is there anything i can do to show my appreciation? not many folks will help someone just to help someone,

Now im heading out to re tape that passenger harness put her new bumper cover on and this wonderful little old lady will be happy as heck, i may even get some home made cookies out of this. lol

Thank you again Sir

crabi53263

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:44 am
On an '08 steel key, I'm pretty sure the BCM is out of the loop. So as long as the ECM and the IMMU agree with one another, you shouldn't need to repro. The security light will tell you, if it's lit solid with the key in the On position then a repro is needed, if it goes out then you're in the clear. Most mobile locksmiths can do steel key Nissans, so you probably won't need to drive it if a repro is necessary.
this has the donor cars ecu in it that wont need to be programmed to this car? i know the dash cluster is holding the mileage and it starts and shuts off and the key works lol, im wondering what i will see once the car is back together and i get a chance to run it for a little bit

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

crabi53263 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:21 pm
this has the donor cars ecu in it that wont need to be programmed to this car? i know the dash cluster is holding the mileage and it starts and shuts off and the key works lol, im wondering what i will see once the car is back together and i get a chance to run it for a little bit
Should be fine if there's no sec light. Mileage and body config are stored in other places. You might want to change the VIN in the ECM, do an Idle Air Volume Learn and clear out the long term fuel trim, but that's all. The car will run without any of that.
crabi53263 wrote:
Is there anything i can do to show my appreciation? not many folks will help someone just to help someone
Forget it. In some ways I'm just paying it forward, and this may help people far beyond you and I. In another way I get to share your triumph, and that's plain cool. That's plenty.

crabi53263

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:32 pm
crabi53263 wrote:
Should be fine if there's no sec light. Mileage and body config are stored in other places. You might want to change the VIN in the ECM, do an Idle Air Volume Learn and clear out the long term fuel trim, but that's all. The car will run without any of that.
crabi53263 wrote:
Is there anything i can do to show my appreciation? not many folks will help someone just to help someone
Forget it. In some ways I'm just paying it forward, and this may help people far beyond you and I. In another way I get to share your triumph, and that's plain cool. That's plenty.
Vstar

thank you again, ill run it to the dealer ask them to change vin and just in case have the key programmed, she will need to get it inspected, in NYS they run it through a good amount of stuff for inspection, Used to have mu inspectors license before i got disabled, this care has very little rust if any, even underneath it has undercoating pretty heavy on it, i found one rust spot i will touch up but its nothing anyone can see and ill just cut it out weld some steel then fiber glass over it then more undercoating.

appreciate your help through all this, i was stumped

Thank you again Vstar, maybe some day i can return the favor, just ask, i used to be master tech in GM and Chrysler, ok on ford, kinda ok on Honda or Volkswagen, figured Nissan wasnt much different but got stuck on this thing. of course that stuff was along time ago, and before i got hurt.

THANK YOU VSTAR

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

crabi53263 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:04 pm
THANK YOU VSTAR
Pay it forward, my friend, just like I do. Someone else is bound to need the gift of something you learned, here from me or elsewhere. The special things we know are our most precious possessions, give them freely and life will love you. :)

You're most welcome!

crabi53263

Hey Vstar

Just a quick question, the steering column and BCU and ECM have been swapped, can i put the original ECM back in and will it start and stop so i can have the key reprogrammed? or do i have to leave the ECU with that steering wheel and lock cylinder so its recognized?
I called the local dealers and its about 300 plus to program the key and ECM, thought that was kind of steep so im trying to save her money, this one i cant do lol

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You can only swap-back the ECM if you also swap-back the IMMU in the steering column and the original key. That's a nutball price for programming steel keys, that shop must be into grand theft. Our shop charges an hour for programming steel keys plus fobs, about $130 at our rate. That's about 30 minutes longer than it usually takes to do it, but we price it to cover the occasional very-unprofitable trouble cases. If there are no other dealers in your area, save your wallet and take it to a Nissan-capable locksmith.

crabi53263

Vstar

Thank you again, i kinda figured thats how it worked, the ECM is locked to the IMMU, the little picture of a car with a key inside flashs with the car off, it will start and run but thats with the donor car ECM and steering column. so i think it needs to be programmed either way, and the ECM is going to need to be programmed also for the vin in order to pass inspection
always a catch lol, i was already at my limit with spending on her car, another 500 holy crap lol,
Thank You Again Vstar

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

No, if it already starts and runs and there's no red icon when running, then everything is happy in IMMU-land. Just leave what you have alone. If the fobs need reprogramming due to the new BCM, you can do that part yourself. There's lots of online info about the "key in and out" method for programming fobs.

crabi53263

Vstar

Thank you again, i did look and it looks like i can reprogram the fob pretty easy, i thought it was weird the little car with a key in it was flashing when the car was just sitting there,

Got an appt at the dealer to get it programmed, then run it and get it past NYS inspection and she is good to go,

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

crabi53263 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:23 pm
i thought it was weird the little car with a key in it was flashing when the car was just sitting there
No, they all do the 3-second blinky thing with the key out to let you know the security system is online. That's normal.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”