2008 Versa Ignition Switch Won't Turn Off, Key Stuck

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
tinkering
Car: Versa Hatchback

My 2008 Versa has a problem with the switch/cable under the shifter console. If you don't push the shifter lever extra hard against the stop when going into Park, the ignition switch won't go all the way to the Off position and thus the key won't come out.
Is there a common quick fix for this? What is the best procedure to get the console cover off of there? :)

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Shifter cable needs adjusting, or shifter assembly itself getting loose and needs rebuilding to tighten it up. Can't say exactly on console but not hard, you simply look for the fasteners.

The shifter ignition interlock there is intended to stop unsupervised children from getting the cars into gear. Once console is off you can generally figure out what linkage or solenoid works the interlock to deactivate or remove it to never have a problem there again, the car will then be like all old school ones are. Once I have a need there or am under console for other things I disable that interlock on every car I have. Of course, don't do it if you have children running around.

Return to “Versa General Chat”