2008 EX35 - GPS lagging

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
sherwooa
Car: 2012 BMW E92 M3
2004 G35 Coupe 6MT (sold)
2008 EX35 AWD Journey
2011 Nissan Murano SL

Anyone else experience very slow response from the GPS/Nav? I know it's an old system and we pretty much always use Waze for route guidance these days, but the map is sometimes helpful to have open while driving around to see next street, intersection, etc. But recently the GPS positioning on the map has been very laggy and incorrect, and puts the car in the wrong spot on the map.
I've run a self diagnostic and there are no communication errors with the GPS antenna (or anything else), and I've tried viewing the "GPS Satellite Info" in the Info menu item and I do see at least 2-3 satellites most of the time, so not sure if this is a GPS antenna issue or not.

Any ideas or experiences with this?

pilotbob3

Hey Sherwooa,

The navigation in the EX35 is based not only upon the GPS, but speed and position sensors within the car. Did you modify your system by installing a brake override or some other mod?

I know this because when I installed the brake override I disconnected the signals in the wiring bundle and had the exact symptoms you mention. When I reconnected the signals the nav worked fine.

If you think this might be the issue, I can review the wiring diagram to try to figure out which pins carry the signals, just let me know.

Dzionassi
Car: 2017 Infiniti QX50

I have same issue, it works just fine, and suddenly it is going out of its mind. Shoving car in wrong spot and sometimes tracking to wrong direction.
Keep in mind I own 2017

sherwooa
2008 EX35 AWD Journey
2011 Nissan Murano SL

pilotbob3 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:01 am
Hey Sherwooa,

The navigation in the EX35 is based not only upon the GPS, but speed and position sensors within the car. Did you modify your system by installing a brake override or some other mod?

I know this because when I installed the brake override I disconnected the signals in the wiring bundle and had the exact symptoms you mention. When I reconnected the signals the nav worked fine.

If you think this might be the issue, I can review the wiring diagram to try to figure out which pins carry the signals, just let me know.
Hi pilotbob. Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay in responding.

I haven't done any mods to the car, so unless there is a problem with a speed sensor then there shouldn't be any reason for that to be impacting the GPS system. It's possible a prior owner did, but I don't have any reason to believe they did as I don't see a brake override, etc.

sherwooa
2008 EX35 AWD Journey
2011 Nissan Murano SL

Dzionassi wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:16 pm
I have same issue, it works just fine, and suddenly it is going out of its mind. Shoving car in wrong spot and sometimes tracking to wrong direction.
Keep in mind I own 2017
did you ever figure out what was causing it?

NehlsT
Car: 2008 Infiniti Ex35 AWD

Depending on where you are, this could be normal. I have an ‘08 EX35, ‘19 Ram Rebel and ‘18 Armada and all experience GPS lag at times. If you live in an area with mountains/hills, heavily wooded areas (my case) or very urban areas with a lot of large buildings or overpasses, the GPS would not be able to keep up with your locations and “guesses” based on the speed sensor and one/two satellites instead of the minimum of three but upwards of 10 it usually uses. It can then take a while for the receiver to then sync up with enough satellites to accurately show your location on the map.

Also, I noticed that when we have put our Thule car top carrier on the armada, the GPS lags constantly.

jamesstock
Car: 2010 Liquid Platinum/Stone Journey
Diamond Cut IR Tint

Or it can be that the reception of the satellites that's causing the hick up. another possibility which I personally experienced on my client's QX80 was he had a dashcam mounted by the rear view mirror and that interfered the GPS signals. Once he had the dashcam disconnected, the nav worked fine.

sherwooa
2008 EX35 AWD Journey
2011 Nissan Murano SL

Thanks @NehlsT and @jamesstock. No roof racks or dashcams installed in our EX. We have an iPhone in a cradle on the dash, but I doubt that's causing the issue. Yes, we live in a suburban area with lots of trees and some hills, but this even seems to happen more open roads. Still stumped but haven't bothered to mess with it lately and of course we haven't been driving very much with the lockdown.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”