2008 EX35 AWD - Rear Drive Shaft Failure

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
scottrod
Car: Tidewater EX35 - 1980 MGB - Stupid Ford F-150 Truck

I have a 2008 EX35 manufactured 02/2008 with a rear propeller drive shaft failure at 97 k miles. Sounds like a bad U-joint to me.

Infiniti no longer manufactures the part for that run of EX35 models (pre-04/2008), p/n 37300-1BA3A.

Also, they don't make the shaft for later cars (05/2008 - on) either which is p/n 37300-1BA8A, however Dorman makes an aftermarket replacement for that part number.

I was able to find clear photos of both online and with some careful measurements, it would appear the later part will fit the earlier car. You can see where the change was made, they eliminated a component for easier and cheaper manufacturing, but dimensionally it appears equivalent, just looks like a minor manufacturing change, not a major change.

The replacement part is about $700, so before I jumped on buying a part that might not fit, thought I would ask the collective if anyone's ever done this. Any other words of advise? We're 700 miles from home on vacation with two cats.

This is my first and last Infiniti, that's for sure.

Eric.
Car: 2016 Infiniti QX50 RWD

I'm currently waiting on a driveshaft for my '16 RWD. The dealer suspects u-joint issue as well - p/n 37000-5UB0B. The ETA is sometime in February... hopefully it's actually still available. What symptoms do you have?

I don't have any help for your specific situation, but it is a bummer. If it's the only available driveshaft and the measurements seem correct, it is probably worth a shot. What other options do you have?

I had an '07 G35 before this car, and I enjoyed it (in hindsight, probably should have kept it). We'll see how long I keep this one, assuming I ever get it back from the dealer... with the exception of about a week, it's been sitting there since mid/late November. At least it's covered by warranty and they have me in a loaner. I'm guessing it'll be sold before the CPO warranty is over.

scottrod
Car: Tidewater EX35 - 1980 MGB - Stupid Ford F-150 Truck

Hi Eric, and thanks for the reply.

The symptom is a clunk and a minor lurch when going from Reverse to Drive. With it on the rack the tech said he could see the shaft jump and that the rubber parts are known failure points. I do think the later unit will fit and plan on ordering one today unless someone on the board knows different. As you mentioned, there's not much choice in the matter and I do think chances are it will work fine.

My 2008 is on its third left front wheel bearing, the first one failed under warranty, the second just out of warranty, I installed the third one which has been fine now for quite some time. Other than that and now the prop shaft, it's been a pretty good car. It just sucks that Nissan stops making parts as soon as the US federal laws permit it. Not very good product support IMO.

sev
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35

that's crazy that it failed and even crazier nissan stops making parts so fast!

I also think its worth a shot, hopefully this fixes your issue. It sounds like it'll work

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”