2007 Versa Hatchback 6spd manual - replacing reverse light switch - drain MT fluid?

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
otto123
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa Hatchback SL - 1.8L 6spd manual

I have recently purchased a 2007 Versa Hatchback 6spd manual with 149k miles on it, and the reverse/back-up lights doesn't turn on when I put it in reverse.

I have isolated the problem to be the reverse light switch (part 32005-00QAE) since I was able to get reverse/back-up lights if I connected pins 1 and 2 together as part of the repair manual.

Now that I have the part on-hand... do I have to drain the MT fluid prior to pulling off the old switch, or can I just replace it? I'm asking, because I'm not very skilled mechanically and I may just bring it to a mechanic if it involves changing the fluid.

Thanks in advance!

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Welcome to NICO Club! I hope you're liking your Versa so far. Here's a link to a discussion about the lights not working:
back-up-lights-not-working-t507574.html
and a couple about installation/ replacement:
park-neutral-position-switch-t577446.html
replacing-the-reverse-light-switch-with ... 90074.html

Here's a link to the Manual Transmission FSM chapter:
http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual? ... 7/hatch/MT

Switch is on page 11, graphic on page 17... appears to be near the top of the tranny. Fluid is only in the bottom half. I say swap it out. Even if it was lower down, I'd say swap it, but be fast! :) I hope that helps.

otto123
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa Hatchback SL - 1.8L 6spd manual

Thank you centralcoaster33 for your reply :)

In case anyone else has this issue and need a replacement guide:

I received the replacement part last week in the mail - took a week to ship to Canada; purchased it on eBay (search for 32005-AX000 which is Renault's equivalent to 32005-00QAE, and is cheaper - further inspection, it actually was the exact same part as the OEM one that came with the car) for 16USD.

To test if it was really the switch problem, I first took off the wiring connector from the old switch, and connected it to the new switch and tested the reverse lights. It works with the new one when the switch is pressed in! Time to replace the old one!

So for easier access, I took off the battery, and the battery holder since the switch is right on top of the transmission and right below the battery to the left. I then stuck my arm into really tight and weird angle and used a 24mm wrench to loosen the old switch. Then, it' s as easy as taking it off by hand and screwing the new one in. I didn't bother torquing it back to spec... hope it doesn't come back to bite me down the road...

P.S. no M/T fluid came out as expected (thank you again centralcoaster33) since it was on the top of the tranny.

Pic of where it is, from top down:

And yay, reverse lights work!

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Awesome information! :dblthumb:

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”