2007 Versa battery swap

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
boxcarbill
Car: '07 Versa SL hatch 6 speed white/beige int.

Will the CVT battery (51R) fit in the 6 sp MT (90/T5) car? Will it clamp down and fit into the well?

ezb57e

Sure.

boxcarbill

I want to get the Costco battery (51R) for $80 instead of the lesser quality and smaller Walmart battery (90/T5) for $120.
As long as it clamps down without modification and fits into the space it should be OK.
The only drawback should be the plastic heat shield won't be big enough to fit closed around the bigger battery.

boxcarbill

CVT battery 51R won't fit in the MT Versa. Correct battery is a 90/T5.

ezb57e

How does it not fit?

boxcarbill

Too tall, too narrow (width), and no tabs at the base on the width edges to clamp down.
51R:

90/T5 (for manual tranny)
Height: 6 15/16 in
Length: 9 9/16 in :

ezb57e

Wouldn't just longer bolts and a hold down take care of that?

boxcarbill

ezb57e wrote:Wouldn't just longer bolts and a hold down take care of that?
Give it a shot and let me know how it went.

boxcarbill

I ended up getting an OEM battery from a Nissan dealership in Portland, OR while there on a visit. No sales tax and a 10% off coupon brought the price to $103.50 and it's an 84 month battery.
The 7+ year old original was still cranking fine when I took it out.

vtyde
Car: 2011 Versa hatch, M/T, Power plus pkg

boxcarbill wrote:I want to get the Costco battery (51R) for $80 instead of the lesser quality and smaller Walmart battery (90/T5) for $120.
As long as it clamps down without modification and fits into the space it should be OK.
The only drawback should be the plastic heat shield won't be big enough to fit closed around the bigger battery.
I just got a T5 size battery for my 2011 Versa M/T. It's definitely bigger than the original, and while it fits just fine, the plastic shroud (heat shield?) does not fit around it.

Does anyone know if it's risky to take the plastic shroud out? Is it really a heat shield? It doesn't look like it would do a whole lot for heat but I don't know what materials are suitable heat shields for batteries. I noticed there is foam on the back so I thought its purpose was to keep the battery from rattling too much against the air filter which is directly behind it. Image

Edit: I think I fixed the image. If it's broken try http://i.imgur.com/SmaL4Fh.jpg
It's just a picture of the plastic shroud not reaching around far enough to clip together.

vtyde
Car: 2011 Versa hatch, M/T, Power plus pkg

I pulled the plastic shroud out and realized it's not just foam on the back, there is a metal plate there as well. So perhaps it is a heat shield between the battery and the air filter assembly. I ended up using a bunch of electrical tape to patch the two ends together. I don't know how long that will hold, but it'll have to do for now.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”