2006 M45 Y pipe - the beginning

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
DeanM45
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport 1 or 2 mods

06M4.5 wrote:That looks :ohno:
Nah, it's really really easy. Just keep everything CLEAN and organize everything (even though I had a pile of bolts and just pulled them out and measured them as I needed them). My hands have never been cleaner though (trans fluid has REALLY high detergent in it). The Transgo instructions are pretty thorough and with common sense it is easy. The hardest part, literally, was cleaning up all the little drops of trans fluid that goes EVERYWHERE! LOL.

06M4.5
Car: 2006 M45

so how does the trans feel now?

DeanM45
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport 1 or 2 mods

At or near WOT the 1-2 chirping of the tires is fun :-)

The shifts are MUCH quicker but not harsher in normal driving. Hard to explain but definitely better.

ynvmalimal
Car: 2006 m45
eibach lowering springs / camber alignment kit front/rear
22" versante wheels

DeanM45 wrote:So, long story---I have been doing general maintenance on the car to get the MPG up and have been fairly happy at a combined of 24 (60% highway/40% street) but as I just turned 70K I decided to replace the O2 sensors. The last one, drivers side after cat just would not come out. PB blaster and a long breaker bar got it out, along with the boss on the Y pipe. Doh!

So I pulled the stock Y out and tack welded the boss back on. I went ahead and grabbed a generic Y pipe off of Ebay to mess with (2 1/2" in, 3" out) and noticed just how close it is to the stock pipe. Got some 2 1/2" polished stainless pipe (Amazon RULES), some O2 standoff pipes, and flanges. Got most of the welding done today (use TIG for stainless) and I hope to finish, as long as it does not rain, tomorrow. The stock pipe necks down to 1 1/2" right after the cat and then in other places as well. Really weird design but I assume for noise abatement.

For anyone that wants to attempt this: the flanges off of the primary cats (on the exhaust manifolds) are weird, 2 3/8" opening with center to center bolt spacing of 4 5/8". I found some that will work but not in stainless on Amazon. Finally found some stainless at a custom exhaust shop.

Don't know how much louder it will be but I really don't care at this point as I am going for better flow and can deal with noise reduction later on (running Megan mid pipe back right now).

Should be fun and I'll keep you guys informed. I should be into it for about $350. Could have been done cheaper at an exhaust shop probably but I wanted stainless and secondary cat delete for when the car sees the track. Most shops will not touch anything with cats in California and besides, I like to do everything myself. I've already got replacement cats that will bolt in (similar to the M35) for street use (just need to weld the up pipe and O2 flanges on).

I know you put this in lame man's terms but is there any chance you can convert it to Y PIPE UPGRADE FOR DUMMIES ( links, sites url finished pics etc..) I'm brand new to this forum and have been reading posts for days and this one finally is the best step in the right direction
just ordered Megan mid and axle back exhaust , injen cai, and contacted Joe widal at uprev which he advised doing all this first then a tune so that in the works only thing holding me up is the damn y pipe and hi flow cat or stock cat dilemma, be greatly appreciated if I could pick your brain a lil or just advise me on what to do about the y pipe and cat siuaton went to Amazon and tried to piece together your y pipe picture just confused the s*** out of me!

seymore4
Car: 2012 M56
Professional UPREV tuner

ynvmalimal wrote: I know you put this in lame man's terms but is there any chance you can convert it to Y PIPE UPGRADE FOR DUMMIES ( links, sites url finished pics etc..) I'm brand new to this forum and have been reading posts for days and this one finally is the best step in the right direction
just ordered Megan mid and axle back exhaust , injen cai, and contacted Joe widal at uprev which he advised doing all this first then a tune so that in the works only thing holding me up is the damn y pipe and hi flow cat or stock cat dilemma, be greatly appreciated if I could pick your brain a lil or just advise me on what to do about the y pipe and cat siuaton went to Amazon and tried to piece together your y pipe picture just confused the s*** out of me!
Honestly I would recommend going to a local exhaust shop and seeing what they could charge to fabricate you one. Should be around $500 (less if you don't want the flex pieces) for a completely custom Y pipe fabricated including supplies and mandrel bending the pipe. Unless you're very handy with a welder and have fabrication experience DIY'ing this won't turn out the way you want and you'll probably end up spending more money in the long run. (also just FYI I am Joe, the guy you've been emailing back n forth with)

ynvmalimal
22" versante wheels

Hahaha lol thank you very much your opinion mean a lot I've only heard great things about your product and services looking forward to getting tune parts ordered and found a reputable custom shop here in las Vegas!

ynvmalimal
22" versante wheels

I seen your photobucket and scrolled through nice mods but the one that caught my eye was the cluster panel in the dash you changed out the boring orange and made it look luxurious and modern wanted to do this for so long what led do you need and can you tell me where I can acquire and how hard were they to install?

ynvmalimal
22" versante wheels

seymore4 wrote:
ynvmalimal wrote: I know you put this in lame man's terms but is there any chance you can convert it to Y PIPE UPGRADE FOR DUMMIES ( links, sites url finished pics etc..) I'm brand new to this forum and have been reading posts for days and this one finally is the best step in the right direction
Took your great advice and had a custom shop do what you did ordered the y from Amazon and test pipes but forgot about the flange and bung mod for test pipes so instead of using that just cut flange and bung section of stock (which I was trashing anyways) and inserted a lil section piece and it came out nice and only cost 160.00 from Chris at advanced mufflers iinnorth las Vegas , also I have to do a custom mid all the way to mufflers seeing Megan racing is back ordered till late January so no go! All that to ask this I've spoken with you about the up rev tune which is a must , would it be more beneficial to to get the tune and cord sent to me or have Shawn church dyno tune the up rev they told me they work with uprev is this true?

Honestly I would recommend going to a local exhaust shop and seeing what they could charge to fabricate you one. Should be around $500 (less if you don't want the flex pieces) for a completely custom Y pipe fabricated including supplies and mandrel bending the pipe. Unless you're very handy with a welder and have fabrication experience DIY'ing this won't turn out the way you want and you'll probably end up spending more money in the long run. (also just FYI I am Joe, the guy you've been emailing back n forth with)

seymore4
Professional UPREV tuner

Dyno tunes are cool but it will cost more and you do not get the reflash cable like you do going the etune route ($225 value). without the reflash cable you can't reflash back to stock and sell it used, or reflash updates on your own.. you're basically stuck going back to the same shop if you ever need updates or troubleshooting.

lvov7342
Car: 2017 Q50S RS400
2006 M45s

I've been lurking on this thread for a while now. Finally pulled the trigger and had my 2nd-ary cats removed, along with a new y-pipe.
Definitely a worthwhile endevour!
The VK breathes so much easier!
Now to get it tuned to make sure that I don't blow up being all sort of lean.

Seymore4 I'm in need of a uprev tune!

seymore4
Professional UPREV tuner

Ready when you are. Just sent you a PM ~

dragmyr1
Car: 2006 infiniti m35

24 wtf lol im at 16 as well but im also running 22x10.5 all the way around.

milto0n
Car: Infiniti M45S

I know this an old thread revival and all but does anyone have any first hand info on removing the secondary cats? Like will it throw a check engine light, will it actually improve gas mileage, does it actually provide better performance, etc? I've been wanting to do an Uprev tune for the longest time but I've also considered modifying the Y pipe first. Thanks

lvov7342
2006 M45s

I've just removed my 2nd-ary cats. No Check engine (as they're not monitored).
The engine breathes noticeably better and revs up faster.

I went to my local Mineke and they cut out the cats and fabricated a new y pipe (which doesn't have the stupid factory 1.75" bends)
I can email pics to whoever wants them!

Obviously, doing this will make an already lean factory tune, that much leaner. Therefore, upRev is a must!

lvov7342
2006 M45s

Just wanted to give a shout out to seymore4 for his diligent tuning work, his easy-going personality, and overall communication!
I'm happy to know that my car is now running as close to "perfect" as possible, without the fear of grenading my engine with a lean-condition.
So in case anyone needs tuning for ANY Nissan platform, go with Joe!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”