2005 Nissan Maxima blowing fuses and burning up ignition coils

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
darkshadow113
Car: 2005 Nissan Maxima SE 3.5

I have a 2005 Nissan Maxima 3.6 and recently I complete turn up which consist of changing the ignition coils, spark plugs and oil. Now every time the car get hot it blows the ignition fuse next to the radiator over flow bottle and number 1 ignition coil. I've checked the wires to see if there is a bare wire touching but didn't see anything. Can someone please let me know what I need to do to fix this problem because very costly replacing ignition coils and fuses.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

First time blowing likely fried wire to short somewhere, now doing it all the time.

darkshadow113

First it blew the #1 ignition coil and ignitions fuse. The second time it blew the #3 ignition coil and fuse and now the check engine light comes on stating the #1 cylinder miss firing. I've checked the wires and did not find any burnt wires.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

If problem started at the coil changing process then look at the work done, it's likely flawed somewhere.

Simply looking at the wires is NOT checking them. You can short inside to easily be undetectable outside.

darkshadow113

Thanks AMC49, but before changing the coils and spark plugs, I was receiving a misfire code in #1, so that is why I decided to change them all. As for inspecting the wire, well that is hard to do since the wires are covered with a protection cover and heavily taped. What do you suggest I do to find out if the wiring harness is frayed?

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”