2004 Pathfinder Overhead Console Upgrade

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

I'm sure I could have found the plug after more searching, but oh well. Running 5 or 6 wires through the headliner, or an entire harness (had I found one) would have been a larger PITA than running the three I did with my wiring job, I think. I also had to set mine to zone 9, not sure if the compass has calibrated itself yet.

I soldered every connection save for the last one (speed sensor) and used plenty of tape and heatshrink. I'm sure the wiring is more than sufficient and will last the lifetime of the vehicle. I used 14 gauge wire. The only thing I have left to do is add another ziptie to secure the temperature sensor and maybe place some wire loom around the exposed wiring in front of the radiator to help keep the elements away from them.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

I did some driving around today and the compass appears to be accurate. The temperature sensor, though, seemed to continue climbing as I drove more and especially with the A/C engaged, presumably due to the proximity of the sensor to the A/C condenser. Going up a bridge, it raised up to 85 degrees, then backed down to 79 or 78. I think when I first started the car, it showed 73 or something. Is this correct behavior?

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Towncivilian wrote:I did some driving around today and the compass appears to be accurate. The temperature sensor, though, seemed to continue climbing as I drove more and especially with the A/C engaged, presumably due to the proximity of the sensor to the A/C condenser. Going up a bridge, it raised up to 85 degrees, then backed down to 79 or 78. I think when I first started the car, it showed 73 or something. Is this correct behavior?
Weird or what.
It would be interesting to get some input from someone on here that has a factory installed system, to see if it does the same thing.
It's going on winter here now, so I'm not running my A/C or anything.
Lately the temp has been at the freezing point, so my display doesn't wander like yours did.
Maybe that will change next summer in the warmer weather. We'll see.
BTW, I also have an '06 Altima SL, with a temp gauge/display, and it is pretty much bang on with the temp display I installed in the Pathy.
There's never more than one degree difference between the two, so I think I'm all right.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

The temperature readout seems to have stabilized now and doesn't jump around wildly as before. I guess it just needed some time to acclimate.

atraudes
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4 4WD

More info is available on mirrors here post6532190.html#p6532190

Great read if you're trying to find one ;)

barnum
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE

So I'm seeing two different routes here: one seems fairly plug-n-play (Itsnotme) and one a bit more in depth with custom wiring (TownCivilian). I just recently snagged the harness out of an 01 LE for my 02 SE but still need to get the OHC. If I've got the harness should it be pretty much plug it up and thats it?

I'm sorry if the answer to this question has been stated in this thread; I'm at work and only had time to do a quick browse through.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

If you managed to find a harness, it should be plug and play. The problem will be accessing the plug in the dashboard to connect the harness to, and to a lesser extent running the harness through an A pillar to the OHC area. Have you made sure the harness isn't already present above your current console?

barnum
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Yeah I took the OHC off a while back and poked around. Didn't see or feel any other plugs.

Yeah pulling the harness probably took an hour at the junkyard - most likely because I was being too gentle. Guy tried charging me $75 claiming that's the cheapest they do all harnesses, after walking out he offered it to me for cheaper then I counter offered $20. I was hoping this was going to be a $30ish upgrade total but since I spent so long pulling it, I had to buy it to make it not a waste of time.

Glad to hear it should be fairly straight forward putting it in though with the harness!

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

You may need to insert a fuse for the OHC to work after installing the harness, but otherwise things should go smoothly as long as you can run the harness.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

barnum wrote:So I'm seeing two different routes here: one seems fairly plug-n-play (Itsnotme) and one a bit more in depth with custom wiring (TownCivilian). I just recently snagged the harness out of an 01 LE for my 02 SE but still need to get the OHC. If I've got the harness should it be pretty much plug it up and thats it?

I'm sorry if the answer to this question has been stated in this thread; I'm at work and only had time to do a quick browse through.
I would suggest you take the time and browse/read through the whole thread.
I did this upgrade 2 years ago, and most of what I did I posted in this thread.
Check out the second page in particular. I think you'll find a lot of the answers to your questions are there (plus some good pics).
Good luck.

Green Pathy
Car: 1996 Nissan Pathfinder SE, 4X4

Man! it would be awesome to do this to my 96 SE. But i doubt i have any of the required harnesses or plugs or sensors. :frown:

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”