2004 Pathfinder Overhead Console Upgrade

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

I removed the overhead ... thing and I don't have the harness there. I looked and felt around in the headliner and didn't find one. Looks like I'd need to make my own or find a junkyard harness. Time to scour the local junkyards.

Saltshaker
Car: 2004 Pathfinder SE

Towncivilian wrote:I removed the overhead ... thing and I don't have the harness there. I looked and felt around in the headliner and didn't find one. Looks like I'd need to make my own or find a junkyard harness. Time to scour the local junkyards.
I might travel down to a yard this weekend and see what I can dig up...this yard is pretty huge, if I find one, I'll let you know. Either way, running a 8 conductor wire is simple enough but the splicing was really tough under the dash.

ltsnotme
Car: 1996 Pathfinder XE 4WD

Towncivilian wrote:I removed the overhead ... thing and I don't have the harness there. I looked and felt around in the headliner and didn't find one. Looks like I'd need to make my own or find a junkyard harness. Time to scour the local junkyards.
Do you have the harness under the glove box?

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

ltsnotme wrote:
I haven't checked yet. Is that where it would be, just coiled up there if it were present?

ltsnotme

Towncivilian wrote:
ltsnotme wrote:
I haven't checked yet. Is that where it would be, just coiled up there if it were present?
Yeah, well, not coiled 'cause it's pretty short, but it's up there sort of where the a-pillar meets the fender, and the connector is pinned to the body. I have bad news for you though: I painted my console today. So don't count on it. I'm probably going to wire it up next Saturday, if I have the time.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

I'll take a look eventually, but an overhead console is so low on my priority list since I need a new radiator fan and maybe a rear O2 sensor soon. Good luck with wiring your OHC!

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Saltshaker wrote: I might travel down to a yard this weekend and see what I can dig up...this yard is pretty huge, if I find one, I'll let you know. Either way, running a 8 conductor wire is simple enough but the splicing was really tough under the dash.
I've been wanting to do this for a while, and after monitoring this thread, decided to visit the wrecking yard yesterday.
I've been there before to take parts off a 2001 LE.
It still had the overhead console with the temp gauge, etc., so I took it off.
There were 3 harnesses there. One for the lights, one for the temp display and one for the moon roof buttons.
My 2002 Chilkoot only has one harness.....for the courtesy lights.
I ripped out the harness from the LE. Not an easy job, even when not being careful.
I cut part of the headliner out, and popped the 'A' pillar cover. That was the easy part.
The harness runs down behind the dash, to a plug up behind the blower motor housing.
Removing the glove box was not enough. I had to rip out the blower motor housing to reach the plug. It is WAAYY up there.
I haven't attempted to install it, or even look, in my own rig yet.
I think it will be a tough job. Might have to wait until spring.
At least I have the interior parts though. I still have to look into sourcing and wiring the temp sensor thingy that mounts under the hood. That's next.
Cheers.

Saltshaker
Car: 2004 Pathfinder SE

Buzzman wrote:I've been wanting to do this for a while, and after monitoring this thread, decided to visit the wrecking yard yesterday.
I've been there before to take parts off a 2001 LE.
It still had the overhead console with the temp gauge, etc., so I took it off.
There were 3 harnesses there. One for the lights, one for the temp display and one for the moon roof buttons.
My 2002 Chilkoot only has one harness.....for the courtesy lights.
I ripped out the harness from the LE. Not an easy job, even when not being careful.
I cut part of the headliner out, and popped the 'A' pillar cover. That was the easy part.
The harness runs down behind the dash, to a plug up behind the blower motor housing.
Removing the glove box was not enough. I had to rip out the blower motor housing to reach the plug. It is WAAYY up there.
I haven't attempted to install it, or even look, in my own rig yet.
I think it will be a tough job. Might have to wait until spring.
At least I have the interior parts though. I still have to look into sourcing and wiring the temp sensor thingy that mounts under the hood. That's next.
Cheers.
Good luck on your install but once you have everything, its not that hard and it shouldnt take that long to do. I already checked a few yards around me and they dont have any Pathfinders which sucks. I'd say you are lucky to be able to go to one and pick parts from it, wish I was able to do the same.

Buzzman

Saltshaker wrote:
I already checked a few yards around me and they dont have any Pathfinders which sucks. I'd say you are lucky to be able to go to one and pick parts from it, wish I was able to do the same.
Ya, I got lucky with this one. I called around this spring looking for a Pathfinder/QX4 from 2001-2004, and this particular yard (10 minutes away) told me about this 2001 LE that recently arrived.
When I first saw it, I couldn't believe it. It looked great, from the windshield back.
It had been in a front end collision, and the engine/tranny was gone, but the rest was all there.
It still had the OEM aluminum rims and a good set of tires on it. I made an offer for those, but they wanted too much.
I've been back to that Pathy about 4 times this year, and each time I go, it looks worse.
Apparently, I'm not the only one picking at the carcass. Kind of sad.
I've pulled some electrical stuff out of it, along with all the door weatherstripping, plus I took all the interior faux wood grain dash and door trim pieces and installed them in my truck.
Looks so much better than the plain black plastic that I had before.
I probably won't be back there for a while. Most of the good stuff is gone.
Even the leather seats are gone now.

ltsnotme

Hooked up my console today. It did turn out that my wires running from the air temp. sensor terminated at the E1 connector and didn't run to where the OHC is supposed to connect under the glove box. So I had to add those in, along with power, illumination, and speedometer wires.

Here's where the E1/M1 connectors (connecting the engine harness to the main harness) are:

So, first, I disconnected the negative terminal from the battery.
Took the trim off (I'll skip how, since it's pretty straight-forward).

Then, for better access, I removed the fuse box by first removing the two screws:

Prying up the tab at the bottom and pulling the bottom end off:
Then lifting the box up and out.

Now, to disconnect the M1 connector, unbolt it:

and, gently, pull it off:

These are the two terminals in the E1 connector that go to the air temp. sensor:
To make sure they're the right ones, I connected a resistor to the air temp. connector, and measured that resistance at the terminals (hence the red and black wires).

Next, take the cover off the M1 connector by prying it up at all four corners:

and take the black plastic thing out:

Here are the two missing sensor wires:

So I got these prongs at Pep Boys:

Soldered them to wires:
Make sure you crimp or flatten the two metal sections I marked with arrows, or the black plastic thing won't go back in.

Then inserted the prongs:

So these are the two sensor wires that will connect to the Blue/Black and Green/Red wires in the M62 harness (or, if you can't get the harness, you'll have to run them all the way up to the console and splice them in as Saltshaker did).

Next, the illumination wire (Pink/Green in the M62 harness) needs to be connected to pin 49u of the M10 connector in the fuse box (the pin might be different for other years so you'll have to check your schematics in the FSM; it should be in the EL-ILL section). So I turned the fuse box over, found the Pink/Green wire at pin 49u, and spliced my wire in:

Then, the power wire (Green/Red, pin 6 in the M62 connector) has to be connected to pin 11u of the M10 connector in the fuse box (Green/Red wire) just as above:

The fifth wire in the M62 harness (White/Blue) has to be connected to the speedometer, which is pin 10 in the M24 connector (White/Blue wire) on the back of the Combination Meter. So I removed the black trim piece, and then removed the Combination Meter:
and spliced the wire in:

Then connected all five wires to my M62 connector:

The harness, by the way, came looking like this, with a lot of extra wires for lamps and homelink:

So I stripped it down to just the six wires I needed for the compass/thermometer:
The lone wire there is ground that I will later connect to ground inside the OHC.

I ran the harness up the driver's side A-pillar, since all the connections were on the driver's side:

Then connected the last wire on the harness, the ground, to ground in the map light harness:

Connected the M62 to the R1:
and attached them to the body with molding tape:

I think that's about it.

Last edited by ltsnotme on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

asnorton44
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

Clean install!

Buzzman

Hey folks, Just finished installing my new overhead console (from an '01 LE junker.).
As mentioned earlier, I didn't have the sensor or the console harness in my Chilkoot, so I had to install both.
I ripped the harness from the junkyard '01 LE, and bought a temp sensor from the dealer ($40.00).
The hardest thing was finding that M62 plug under the dash (in my truck.)
At first I didn't think it was there, but I finally found it, buried deep inside and up under the dash, behind the blower fan assembly.
Scraped my knuckles getting it free.
Anyway, I finished installing it today, and it works perfectly.
I'm a happy Canuck.
Here are some pics:
First pic is my step one: testing the console, after installing the harness, but before running everything up and into the roof liner., etc.
Next job was running the harness up and into the headliner to the console locator.
Mounting the unit and putting everything back was last.
Also, I don't have a sunroof, so I took out the switches and installed the dummy cover.

Last edited by Buzzman on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ltsnotme

Buzzman wrote:Hey folks, Just finished installing my new overhead console (from an '01 LE junker.).
As mentioned earlier, I didn't have the sensor or the console harness in my Chilkoot, so I had to install both.
I ripped the harness from the junkyard '01 LE, and bought a temp sensor from the dealer ($40.00).
The hardest thing was finding that M62 plug under the dash (in my truck.)
At first I didn't think it was there, but I finally found it, buried deep inside and up under the dash, behind the blower fan assembly.
Scraped my knuckles getting it free.
Anyway, I finished installing it today, and it works perfectly.
I'm a happy Canuck.
Here are some picks:
First pic is my step one: testing the console, after installing the harness, but before running everything up and into the roof liner., etc.
Next job was running the harness up and into the headliner to the console locator.
Mounting the unit and putting everything back was last.
Also, I don't have a sunroof, so I took out the switches and installed the dummy cover.
Nice.

Buzzman

Update: Took a while to get the compass to find it's direction. Turns out there are different magnetic zones all across North America, and you have to tell the unit which zone you are in (sort of like time zones).
Once I got that right, it worked perfectly.
Cheers.

ltsnotme

So I've been wanting to add another temp. sensor to the setup to make it show the temperature inside. But that speedometer input is making me think it's probably not going to work, right? Does it actually use the speedometer reading to adjust the temperature? If it doesn't, I don't see how it would show the temperature correctly. And if it does, the reading inside is going to be off. So it's probably not worth it.

Buzzman

Itsnotme: I didn't have to do anything re: speedometer input. My '02 Pathy had the harness already under the dash, passenger side, above the blower motor (connector M62 I think).
It also had the harness/connector at the top/front of the radiator (under the hood) for the temp sensor. All I had to do was buy a sensor and plug it in.
I picked the overhead console harness from a wrecker and wired it in. I only had to add the ground wire to make it all work.
So far the temperature readings have been accurate.
I also have a 2006 Altima with a temp gauge, and checking the two of them, they are always within one degree of each other.

ltsnotme

Buzzman wrote:Itsnotme: I didn't have to do anything re: speedometer input. My '02 Pathy had the harness already under the dash, passenger side, above the blower motor (connector M62 I think).
It also had the harness/connector at the top/front of the radiator (under the hood) for the temp sensor. All I had to do was buy a sensor and plug it in.
I picked the overhead console harness from a wrecker and wired it in. I only had to add the ground wire to make it all work.
So far the temperature readings have been accurate.
I also have a 2006 Altima with a temp gauge, and checking the two of them, they are always within one degree of each other.
Well, yeah, one of the wires in your harness under the dash is connected to the speedometer. Presumably, the thermometer adjusts the temperature reading based on the speed of the vehicle, since the temp. sensor will have different outputs depending on the airflow around it.

So if I were to add another sensor inside, like I wanted to, I would not only have to switch between the two sensors, but also switch the speedometer wire from the speedometer output to whatever the equivalent reading of speed zero is, since the sensor inside would always be stationary (as far as airflow is concerned). Otherwise the inside temperature reading would only be correct when the car is not moving. I'm still considering it.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

I bought this '98 tan OHC for only $30 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/350458928295?ss ... 255wt_1110

I'll just need to peel off that nasty looking "Chilkoot" sticker and find a wiring harness and air temperature sensor now. Can anybody scour their local junkyards to find either of them for me? :poke:

EDIT: I added this topic to the How-To sticky under Upgrades. :dblthumb:

Chris.m
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD
2001 BMW 530i

Towncivilian wrote:I bought this '98 tan OHC for only $30 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/350458928295?ss ... 255wt_1110

I'll just need to peel off that nasty looking "Chilkoot" sticker and find a wiring harness and air temperature sensor now. Can anybody scour their local junkyards to find either of them for me? :poke:

EDIT: I added this topic to the How-To sticky under Upgrades. :dblthumb:
Its kinda funny, that console is being shipped from Surrey BC, which is like 40 min from me :)

And yeah next time im out ill look for those bits.

Does the 98 console have have the same harness as the later years?

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Mostly the same, yes.

1998: Image

2001.5: Image

Basically, you might need to add your own illumination wire if you end up with a harness that doesn't have a wire at pin 5. Personally, I wouldn't bother, since I already snipped the illumination wire for my clock - I always drive with headlights on, so a dim clock or overhead console is no use to me in daylight. 2001 and above have the illumination wire on the harness for sure, so I'd prefer one from that year or newer if you find multiple harnesses.

I wonder why input from the ABS sensor replaces the input from the vehicle speed sensor beginning with the 2001.5 model year revision (which is one of the few minor changes I've noticed when compared to 2001.0 MY). I'd imagine it's more accurate than the speed sensor alone in determining if the road is frozen - all of the owners' manuals specify that the overhead console will warn the driver in case of frozen road surfaces. I would also assume that the ABS sensor still sends vehicle speed information, otherwise there wouldn't be correction for speed on the temperature readout, or has it not been proven that the overhead console takes speed into account? :gotme Also, couldn't this difference potentially impact the functionality of using an older OHC which expects the speed sensor? And if the OHC doesn't expect an illumination wire, perhaps having one would do nothing at all. I suppose I'll be the guinea pig in this circumstance.

Thanks in advance for keeping an eye out for the parts, Chris!

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

I received the OHC today. It has a "Chilkoot Edition - 2003 - #2376" sticker, and the pigtail has a wire at pin 5 (illumination), so this is definitely not from a 1998. Good for me, I guess!

I got the temperature sensor from a member on NPORA. I just need to find or make the wiring harness for the console itself now. I'll try finding a pigtail at the junkyard that fits the M62 plug and just run my own wires between it and the OHC, because I probably won't have any luck finding the complete harness at a junkyard.

Also, the part number for the wiring harness (which unfortunately includes several other harnesses) is 24160-0W003 and is $92.41 before shipping, so purchasing a new harness isn't a viable option for this upgrade.

So, now I have a Chilkoot SE LE? :D My PF is an SE, the rear hatch is from an LE, and this OHC is from a Chilkoot.

Buzzman

Towncivilian wrote: I just need to find or make the wiring harness for the console itself now. I'll try finding a pigtail at the junkyard that fits the M62 plug and just run my own wires between it and the OHC, because I probably won't have any luck finding the complete harness at a junkyard.
That's where I got my harness (and OHC): at a junkyard, from a 2001 LE.
Paid $25.00 for both, if memory serves me correctly.
Are there many wreckers close to you?
When I was shopping around for parts, I called this wrecker first. That's how I found this 2001 LE.
It's been very good to me.
Good luck.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

There is a junkyard close by, but nothing else. They are very scarce in terms of useful vehicles. I'm just going to attempt to find any 6-pin wiring harness from a Nissan and chop it off to use as a pigtail, and run my own intermediate wiring.

I only have the plug at the front for the temperature used by the automatic climate control center. Since I'm never going to use this plug, I'm going to chop it off and use it for the ambient temperature sensor. The plug is the same.

ltsnotme

Isn't your auto climate control sensor plug already wired into the E1 junction inside the vehicle? Why are you cutting it off?

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Well, I suppose it should be. I guess I could tap into the wiring at E1 instead of running my own two wires. But I'd rather just run two wires from the temp sensor up to the OHC, probably easier/faster than taking off trim to access E1 and whatnot, and I already have a blank clutch plate with a hole in it I'll swap in to get the wires in the cabin.

ltsnotme

I guess you could do it that way. Don't forget to post some pics!

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

I plan to. Tomorrow I'll try to find a 6-pin pigtail, and wire it up.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

I tried to find the 6-pin plug behind my glovebox, but was unable to. I decided to forget about it.

I wired up half of the console today. I tapped into the power & ground wires from the map lights, which has the unfortunate side effect of always powering the overhead console - but this isn't too big an issue as the map lights are on a timer anyway and it will eventually shut off if I accidentally leave it on after a while.

I ran three wires (two for the temperature sensor, one for the speed sensor input from the instrument cluster) through the front of the headliner to the driver's side A pillar and will finish wiring tomorrow.

It turns out that I have the second plug required for the ambient temperature sensor used by the overhead console, so I probably have the 6-pin plug behind the glovebox too. I decided to chop off the pigtail used by the automatic climate control temperature sensor and solder quick disconnects on, then run my own wiring for the OHC ambient temperature sensor into the cab and to the OHC.

For the speed sensor input, I originally bought the same prongs ltsnotme used and was hoping to insert one into the instrument cluster at pin 13 of M24 since I assumed there was none present there already, but looking at the FSM right now there's already a pin there. It looks like I'll need to splice into that wire in the same manner ltsnotme did, and return the prongs. That, or try to find R1 (which seems to be a plug right below the passenger's side A pillar) again and splice into that single wire. I'll check for that first as I'd prefer not to chop up instrument cluster wiring.

The OHC display read northwest the entire drive home, presumably because it requires one of the sensors' input, neither of which are plugged in yet.

Here are a couple crappy pictures of my wiring hack-up job for the OHC:

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

I finished up the install today. I ran two wires into the cabin for the temperature sensor and hooked them up, no big deal there. The sensor works fine.

I then bought a couple T-Taps to get speed sensor input. That was pretty easy to wire too. That ended up being the only wire I didn't solder a quick disconnect onto, but oh well.

My wiring job could've been a little better (I used all black wire, for instance, but colored electrical tape where necessary solved that problem), but all in all it could be much worse. I didn't take any more pictures of the wiring, but I'll get a few of the temperature sensor wiring since that's still easily accessible.

The compass works perfectly now, just need to ensure the OHC is set to the correct zone and I'll be set.

Buzzman

Towncivilian wrote:I tried to find the 6-pin plug behind my glovebox, but was unable to. I decided to forget about it.

It turns out that I have the second plug required for the ambient temperature sensor used by the overhead console, so I probably have the 6-pin plug behind the glovebox too. I decided to chop off the pigtail used by the automatic climate control temperature sensor and solder quick disconnects on, then run my own wiring for the OHC ambient temperature sensor into the cab and to the OHC.

The OHC display read northwest the entire drive home, presumably because it requires one of the sensors' input, neither of which are plugged in yet.

[
The 6 pin plug is probably there, like you said. I didn't find mine until my fourth attempt. I was almost ready to give up on it.
It is WAY up there, above the blower unit, and it's not free floating either, so to speak. It's attached to the side wall, just below the dash.
It was a pain to get it loose.
As for the temp sensor, I just plugged it in to the connector in front of the rad, and so far so good.
The compass on mine didn't work at first either, and it worried me a little.
Seems like it has to "find" itself when you drive around a little. Mine started working after a few hours of driving.
Now it's bang on all the time. I had to set mine to zone 9, if I remember right.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”