2004 crank but no start after timing chain work

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
schuylkill
Car: 2004 Nissan Quest SE

So I finally got everything buttoned up after replacing chain main guide, main tensioner and water pump. I lost timing on the right side when I replaced the water pump. I hopefully did a good job setting the timing but now I am panicking that the no start is because the timing is out. Is that a possibility? I pulled the fuel pump fuse before I cranked it, cranked for abut 15 seconds, replaced the fuse and now it cranks but doesn't start. The battery reads 12.7 volts with a meter. I smell no gas fumes, I would think I would as much as I tried to start it. I have a smart charger on the battery for the night. I will test or replace the pump fuse tomorrow. What a bad result, I hope it's not the timing.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

See what codes are in it before anything else. It will be hard to tell anything without knowing what the ECM is thinking. Jumped timing will show up as DTC's right away if it's more than about 3 teeth. With less than that it may not set codes immediately, but in that case the car will usually start and run, just not well. So if it is timing, the DTC's should tell you.

schuylkill
Car: 2004 Nissan Quest SE

The scanner gave a message that it couldnt communicate so I suspected computer problem, I didn't have one of the bundles locked in. The front cover on it is missing half so I was pondering what I should do about it yesterday and didn't finish the job. Locked it in and it fired right up, still checking it out but it sounds good. Thanks

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yep, no-power to the ECM will do it every time. Glad you got it straight. Happy motoring!

Return to “Quest Forum”