2003 350z Misfire help

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Js350z
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z

i have a 2003 350z with 125k miles. I got a camshaft sensor light for the 3rd time (bank2) so I go and order the cheap eBay sensor again. I got it in about a week and I put it in and while putting it back in I noticed a green plug next to the sensor not the atcual cam sensor but a green plug next to it that I disconnected wouldn't re-connect. Me and my dad zip tie it shut and turn the car on and it's misfiring like crazy. We couldnt fix the plug so I brought it to a mechanic and he rewires it and my car is still misfiring with the codes ; P0021,P0300,P0300. Long story short I change the coil packs for cylinder 4&5 because that were the problem cylinders that were misfiring according to his scanner. I change them and still nothing. I took cylinder 2 out just to test if the car would stall with a good coil taken out and it ran the same. I don't understand what's making the car misfire. I think it's the plug next to the camshaft sensor that I had rewired that's giving a bad connection to the coil packs. And I heard it could be caused by me not using OEM sensors... Any help?

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Welcome to NICO!

Newer model cars are much more finicky about their sensors than they used to be. It sucks to spend the cash on a hope, but its worth giving the OEM sensor a try before changing out more expensive parts.

Can you actually view the spark when the wires are removed?
Test for spark by pulling out a plug wire boot and set it on top of the valve cover (away from other wires or anything flammable or electrical) and have someone crank the engine over. If you have spark, you should be able to literally see it arcing as it grounds out.

Js350z
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z

frapjap wrote:Welcome to NICO!

Newer model cars are much more finicky about their sensors than they used to be. It sucks to spend the cash on a hope, but its worth giving the OEM sensor a try before changing out more expensive parts.

Can you actually view the spark when the wires are removed?
Test for spark by pulling out a plug wire boot and set it on top of the valve cover (away from other wires or anything flammable or electrical) and have someone crank the engine over. If you have spark, you should be able to literally see it arcing as it grounds out.

Yeah I took the coil pack out for each cylinder and turned the car on for each one and none of them made the Car stall by taking them out. And when I took them out they looked fine. I think it's something electrical that connects the 2 cam sensors together like the harness because I had that rewired

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”