2002 Skyline GTR R34 Vspec-II vs 2002 BMW M5

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
S15_silvia

i believe it was the hks skyline i saw that ran 7.9 actually it was in a magazine i had i cant find it now though but it had full interior and everythign im not sure if it was on DOT tires whent ehy dragged it but i know it ran 7.9

nlzmo400r
Car: cars

ive seen (i forgot the name of the company that modded it) but it ran 9s on street tires, i dont know if it has actually been backed up, but the car was bored to 2.8l and thats all i know really, i saw it in a mag

jhoward
Car: design, cars, music

That's amazing. I think the skyline is a way better deal than the bmw. I always wondered why they wouldn't make the street cars have over 280 hp.:thinker

nlzmo400r

well, they do have over 280hp, it was just an agreement between auto manufacturers in japan, they just say its 280, thats why everyone says the skyline has a VERY UNDERATED 280bhp

jhoward
Car: design, cars, music

Thanks. I always wondered why. Now I have an excuse when people complain about the japanese supercars.

GTRPower

umm...

Lots of info here... some disinfo too...

I own a GT-R. I also own a 2003 M3. I have driven a 1990 M5 (owned by a good friend and co-founder of the BMWOCHK) and a 2000 M5 (owned by a racecar driver friend based here in Chicago). I have driven all these cars on the track and on the street.

GT-Rs handle better than M5s.

The M3 is a good match up for a GT-R, but it loses out at mid speed cornering post apex. GT-Rs gain far more acceleration out of corners.

Nobody really drives a non-modified GT-R, but bog-standard M3s and M5s are everywhere. That makes the comparison harder.

The chassis of the GT-R begs for more power- not surprising since it only has about 300HP on a chassis designed to take twice that. The M3 and M5 don't have the "problem" but at the same time feel fast enough. Driving a bog standard GT-R at the track is a lesson in non-drama, yet it will lap as fast as far more exciting drives in the M3 and of course the M5.

All three cars have similar 0-60mph and 1/4mile times. The M3 and GT-R have similarly usable rear seats. The M3 has the best weight distribution of the three and the best overall balance of chassis vs. power vs. braking. The M5 can seat 4 people most comfortably. The GT-R is capable of some high HP figures if modified properly...

They are very different cars.

The person who stated that GT-Rs can handle 600HP without anything breaking probably doesn't have much experience working on GT-Rs. I guarantee you first off the head gasket will go, then the turbos, then third gear, that is, if you're lucky, since GT-R synchros are notorious for failing even under nominal power, and of running hot out of the box. That doesn't include problems with braking a 3300lb (dry weight, mind you!) car that has 600HP...

I hope that helps the discussion.

Cheers!

93RPS13
Car: Cars, Girls, Cars, Food

i like the R33 GTR the best out of all of them

chin suru

Sopdadope wrote:I love both cars but I know from a fact the Skyline owns an M5 in every aspect of performance except 0-60 acceleration.

ACCELERATION:

0-60:5.2 seconds vs. 4.9 seconds (BMW)

1/4 mile12..9 vs. 13.9 (Skyline)

60mph-0 braking110 ft. vs. 118 ft. (Skyline)

Skidpad 0.89 vs. 0.92 (Skyline)

All in all, it's still pretty close. The BMW spots the Skyline nearly 300 lbs. and performance is so close that one needs test equipment to measure the difference. However, the Skyline is so responsive to tuning and an M5 does retail for twice as much as a Skyline would (in their respective countries). Skyline's a better real-world car but the M5 is the coolest and among the fastest 4-doors, period.

I hope you aren't saying the M5 runs a 13.9 stock. They run high 12's/low 13's stock. I saw one this past week run a 12.86.

surferbrat72
Car: i like to surf and golf and am growing a liking to paintball

i think that the skyline will win because it has a different gear ratio and if it is a road course it will get more speed off of the corners... but if it is a drag the M5 would win in my eyes because it has more excelleration from the get go

tre-dog

SKYLINES ARE PRETTY COOL AND FAST!!!!!

stoops417
Car: FB

Don't forget that a Skyline has the whole AWD thingy there to kick the M5's A** right outta the hole...

Iceman00
Car: cars women

The skyline pure and simple. The 350Z beat the M3 (smg tranny) i a road course race, and best motering has a Z vs M3 race. The Skyline GT-R owns the Z, and it would own the M dou as well.

They rule pure and simple

P.S. R34 GT-R vs 911 turbo vs Evo 7, Nsx S, 360, and C5 Porche got first, Skyline second by like .3 seconds. watch best motoring.

IvoryJ30t
Car: 95 Maxima GLE, 95 Maxima GXE

Chally wrote:NOT A CHANCE!!! Porsche HAD to build a special 4wd vehicle just to beat the Skyline.

The M5 was seen on the Nurburg Ring at the same time as the R34 Skyline & it smoked the skyline on the straights, then the Skyline left it sitting on the bends. I can't remember the time difference around the whole ring, but the Skyline was CONSIDERABLY faster, overall, than the M5!

I have driven a R33 V spec, under full steam, & they are AWESOME!!! ( the owner though so as well, & my dad :D) 100 mph in no time flat.Makes my Q feel like a bus.

what are you talking about special??? porsche has a stock 911 with awd and 420hp. i remember, i personally delivered one to a guys house [driving flatbed] silver, $150,000 and runs 11.9 from the factory [porsche quotes 12.3 but thats bull****]

anybody else ever drop smoke in a 2003 E55 AMG?

nismodave

Guys this thread is old as hell.

And the idiot who started it was banned.

He was a jerk, who had daddys money.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”