2002 QX4 Intelligent Cruise Control. Discussion on solving ASCD issues

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
brickbox
Car: 2011 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4

Further updates, I'm now up to 183K miles. Took a 2,000 miles round trip to Canada and back. The QX4 was fantastic on the snow, slush and ice with the ATTESA and winter tires. ICC worked great except on couple of occasions when it faulted out due to slush build up. Cleaned the face of the radar, re-started the car and it reset and worked as it should!

Stoatwblr
Car: Nissan Primera P12 2003

I've just run across this thread.

I have one of these on my UK 2003 Nissan Primera P12 - it failed recently after a period of throwing "stain" errors in Consult.

Cracking it open revealed water intrusion. The front plate has 2 o-ring gaskets which had both leaked and water staining on the inside of the front glass was affecting the optical sighting of the units. This would easily explain the many issues people are reporting.

You can get this off and check by undoing the 6 t10 screws on the front and carefully levering the front glass off, but be aware you will probably need to replace the o-rings when reassembling as well as applying suitable water sealant grease (not silicone sealant unless you want it to be impossible to disassemble next time)

Water had also gotten into the unit through the sealing o-ring gasket between the front/rear half of the case, causing corrosion of various parts and a reflector but no apparent damage to the elecrronics, optics or mechanical parts.

Again, this can be disassembled, but watch for the o-ring - and _ALL_ 4 serews on my unit sheared off.

This _LOOKS_ to be easily cleanable and fixable (you can buy o-ring cord in lengths which can be cut to length, formed and glued to replace perished ones)

To get the unit out of the front half of the case, undo the screw holding it in at the rear of the front section, then lightly lift its clips at the front end and slide it rearwards. I had to do that in order to be able to clean the case section, remove the remnants of the broken screws and clean out the threads.

Once that's done the unit can be disassembled. The top half of the laser rangefinder assembly unclips from underneath (fragile, be careful), exposing screws necessary to get at the fresnel lens mounting clips, transmission laser and movement motor. Once they're exposed you can separate the electronics from the mechanical bits and clean them. Be _VERY_ careful about static electricity precautions as lasers and photodiodes tend to be fragile.

brickbox
Car: 2011 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4

That's interesting - cool to know that they can be rebuilt.
It was cheaper in my case stateside to be able to just swap in a used unit.
My QX4 is now up to 191K miles and still chugging along trouble free. Just completed a 1,500 miles trip that some tons of dirt road, some sand trails and a short section of slush and bog.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”