2002 QX4 Brake pedal stiff on very cold mornings

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Rockwood
Car: 2002 QX4

Heavy Hitter is right, the hard 1-2 shift is standard equipment on the R50. Actually, also on a few other Nissans from these years.

You should have all your gears, but at 20 below seals shrink, get hard, and sometimes leak. Just a guess, but I think maybe a shift solenoid o-ring or a seal leak at that temperature is causing low line pressure, so no shift.

Since your tranny is ok at higher temps, it is nothing to worry about. You will probably not see those temps again anytime soon - if you lived in Alaska where 20 below is pretty common, you would probably have to do something about it. If it does get really cold again, just give it 5 extra minutes of warm up time before you hit the road.

For now, you are good to go!

brickbox
Car: 2011 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4

Rockwood wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:36 pm
Heavy Hitter is right, the hard 1-2 shift is standard equipment on the R50. Actually, also on a few other Nissans from these years.

You should have all your gears, but at 20 below seals shrink, get hard, and sometimes leak. Just a guess, but I think maybe a shift solenoid o-ring or a seal leak at that temperature is causing low line pressure, so no shift.

Since your tranny is ok at higher temps, it is nothing to worry about. You will probably not see those temps again anytime soon - if you lived in Alaska where 20 below is pretty common, you would probably have to do something about it. If it does get really cold again, just give it 5 extra minutes of warm up time before you hit the road.

For now, you are good to go!
Interesting, that is good to know. I'm hoping no more polar vortices this year. The brakes are consistent and grabby with the brake flush and new check valve/hose!

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”